CVO Technical > Electronic Toys and Gadgets

Boom Stage 2 Saddlebag Speaker Replacement - Cicada

(1/2) > >>

Brigsy:
I have a 2020 CVO RG with the Boom Audio Stage 2 system.  I've just blown my second saddlebag speaker in 6 months so I've been researching aftermarket options.  While the dealer will give me a 1-year warranty and replace the current damaged speaker (and will check the flash), here's what I found and what I plan to do if this becomes persistent and/or I run out of warranty support:

1.  The RF TMS57 is NOT compatible with the Boom 2.  I called the RF tech and he told me absolutely not regardless of what some sites (Crutchfield) advertise.  He DID direct me to an actual drop in bi-amp replacement...
2.  The Cicada CXX57.2 is a direct replacement.  I called their tecch and asked about the bi-amp and Boom 2 compatibility.  Not only is it compatible but has the HD connections for a true drop-in replacement.

https://www.cicadaaudio.com/product/cxx57-2-speakers/

I post this here as many don't want to rip out the Boom 2 and go all in with another system (like me).  Note: I have not checked the veracity nor quality of the product but put this out there for anyone wanting an option on their OEM Boom 2 system.  If you do go this route, I'd be interested to know your experience and thoughts.

kevin_n:
I blew my first 5x7 this spring, got 6 years out of them. I went the cicada route. I am friends with someone that does motorcycle audio. He installed them this past June and they are a massive improvement over the boom 2 5x7. I kept the boom amp and I cannot believe how much louder they are over the stock ones. The basket does need to be trimmed to fit the bigger magnet but doesn’t hang down like a 6x9.

Brigsy:

--- Quote from: kevin_n on October 19, 2023, 08:40:45 PM ---I blew my first 5x7 this spring, got 6 years out of them. I went the cicada route. I am friends with someone that does motorcycle audio. He installed them this past June and they are a massive improvement over the boom 2 5x7. I kept the boom amp and I cannot believe how much louder they are over the stock ones. The basket does need to be trimmed to fit the bigger magnet but doesn’t hang down like a 6x9.

--- End quote ---
Nice.  Blew my first one after a year on a ride from DC to Austin so I replaced them with Boom 2 that had a new part number.  I assumed they fixed whatever issue they were having but the second pair didn't last a 6 months as I blew that one out at Myrtle Beach Bike Week.  The dealer will replace it under HD warranty and check out my HU but if the sound from the Cicadas is much better, maybe I'll change 'em out before these new Boom's go T.U.

mjb765:

--- Quote from: kevin_n on October 19, 2023, 08:40:45 PM ---I blew my first 5x7 this spring, got 6 years out of them. I went the cicada route. I am friends with someone that does motorcycle audio. He installed them this past June and they are a massive improvement over the boom 2 5x7. I kept the boom amp and I cannot believe how much louder they are over the stock ones. The basket does need to be trimmed to fit the bigger magnet but doesn’t hang down like a 6x9.

--- End quote ---

If the sound is that much better it might be worth replacing all 4 speakers.......DO they make fairing speakers that will work with Boom2 as well?

OBB:
Curious as to how these will work with them only taking one channel out of the two channels the B2 system pushes to each speaker location. Are they only using 75 out of the 150 watts available to each spot?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version