Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: How do you handle this question?  (Read 6271 times)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
How do you handle this question?
« on: April 12, 2007, 10:49:37 AM »

Hi Everyone.  My name is Jim from Western, NY (1st post, lurking newbie).  Found the sight while doing a search for reviews of the SEUC07.  I got mine in Jan 07 and was looking to justify my purchase.  Which leads me to my question.  For me it was a no brainer and is easy to justify but how do you folks handle the inevitable "Wow, nice bike, what'd that run ya?"  It's a real "If I had to explain it you wouldn't understand" moment.  I've told a couple of people that the Ultras start around $23k and leave it at that.  I feel this response is not paying enough respect to the SE, but I don't want to give too much info to the judgemental tightwads who admire the bike.

I've got 500 chilly miles on it so far.  I haven't been on it when it's over 65 yet.  Most of it has been in the 50's.  The heated grips are WONDERFUL but I'm not so sure that the heated seat is even working yet.  I'll check the fuses.  I chalked it up to just taking a while to get heat through the padding but after 1 hr I can't tell if the warmth in the seat is coming from my backside or the heater, even on high.

Great site, love the intel and friendly responses.  Why no threads on BBQ?  If any of you are traveling through Western, NY in October make sure to stop by the Oinktoberfest, a KCBS sanctioned NY State BBQ championships.  Here is a link. http://www.oinktoberfest.com.  It's in conjuction with the pumpkinfest where they have the worlds largest pumpkin weighoff every year.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
Re: How do you handle this question?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 10:59:55 AM »

Hey ya jgeorge102! Welcome to the site.

I hear ya about people asking "What'd that cost ya?" I hear it all the time, and, like you, I hate to say. When they ask $20,000? I look over the top of eyeglasss and say, I wish, and leave it at that. My riding buddy's father in law thinks he gave $5,000 for his. He also thinks it's crazy for anyone to pay that much for a motorcycle! LOL

My heated seats work fine. It doesn't take over 15 minutes or so before my a$$ is hot! The seat may be on the accessory switch??? I'm not sure. some of these other guys may can tell you.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 11:05:02 AM »

Hey Jim,

Welcome to the site, we're glad you joined us.

As to your question, and I don't want to seem rude here, but from where I sit, I don't really care what other people (other than d00d and Twolane) think about what I spend on the bike.  (I should include my wife in there also)  People who know anything about motorcycles know what a new one costs, whether its a Honda, Suzuki or a Harley.  People who don't know anything about bikes, why do you care what they think?  This is your passion, enjoy it!  :bananarock:  The few time I have received comments from non-bikers about spending that much money on a motorcycle, I usually ask them how much they spend on their boat, or playing golf, or whatever their "thing" might be.

To each is own.

Ride Safe,
Ghost

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 11:41:27 AM »

Welcome JG.  Glad to have you here and hope we can spend some of your money so you have even more invested in your ride.

I don't even recall talking about the cost/price of my bikes.  When I have sold them and someone knows it is for sale and asks how much and you tell them, well after their jaw and mouth close back up and they get that glazed look, I just tell them, "if I have to explain it, you'll never understand" and just drop it.

It doesn't matter to me about any of my stuff if anyone knows what it costs or not but if I know them I have no problem telling them what it costs.  Why worry about it?  Maybe they want one so why spin it?

If I don't know them I most likely just ignore the question and continue the conversation. Being in sales all of my life I can tell you that often people don't know what to ask, so they pick a question like "how much", when they really don't care either.  If they bring it back up odds are they are interested so then I'd tell them, a SE Ultra is in the mid $30's by the time you ride it home.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 11:51:29 AM »

Rob, since you are in sales, have you EVEr had someone tell you..OH! That cheap? I'll take two then.? Price is ALWAYS too much.

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 11:53:14 AM »

Rob, since you are in sales, have you EVEr had someone tell you..OH! That cheap? I'll take two then.? Price is ALWAYS too much.

That only happens on $1 beer night at the local pub.   :drink:

Thank you sir, may I have another.
Ghost

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 11:54:25 AM »

LOL I heard that

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 12:02:22 PM »

Not in auto sales, only when selling chrome accessories here :huepfenlol2:

dereck

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHXSE2.ORG

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Black Diamond
    • CVO2: sold FLHRSE3 Black Ice
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 12:27:24 PM »

:welcome_005:

People ussually don't buy Harleys because "it's a good deal" or for "performance".  My response, "a lot"  :bananarock:

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 12:39:21 PM »

Jim, welcome aboard the CVO board

To your question, I just a say a few coins and leave it there

jeffj

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 12:47:43 PM »

I've had some ask "how much do you have in that bike?"  My answer: "I dont' know, and it don't matter."  Most understand that response too.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 01:10:52 PM »

jgeorge,
Welcome to the site glad to have you join us. :2vrolijk_21: To answer your question my usual reply is I have over $35K in it now and I haven't finished yet. You never know how to take this question when it's asked. Do they really want to know what it would take to own a bike like this or do they think it's stupid to spend that much money on a bike? Bottom line is if this is something you want then go for it. The only one that has to be happy daily is the person in the mirror you see every morning.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ual767plt

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 01:17:18 PM »

Hi Jim....welcome to the site!  When asked, I usually quote them MSRP and leave it at that.  Regarding, your seat heat, it may be plugged in to the wrong connector underneath your seat.  There is another identical female connector...try that.  A few bikes (mine included) have come off the line like that.  I switched the connection, put the seat heat on 'high' and ten minutes into the ride (45F weather), my a$$ was on fire!  I never need the high setting, and only intermittently, the low setting.  A rheostat would be nice for a 'sweet spot'.

Enjoy you new ride!

Rick
'20 FLHTKSE

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 02:06:10 PM »

Hi Everyone.  My name is Jim from Western, NY (1st post, lurking newbie).  Found the sight while doing a search for reviews of the SEUC07.  I got mine in Jan 07 and was looking to justify my purchase.  Which leads me to my question.  For me it was a no brainer and is easy to justify but how do you folks handle the inevitable "Wow, nice bike, what'd that run ya?"  It's a real "If I had to explain it you wouldn't understand" moment.  I've told a couple of people that the Ultras start around $23k and leave it at that.  I feel this response is not paying enough respect to the SE, but I don't want to give too much info to the judgemental tightwads who admire the bike.

I've got 500 chilly miles on it so far.  I haven't been on it when it's over 65 yet.  Most of it has been in the 50's.  The heated grips are WONDERFUL but I'm not so sure that the heated seat is even working yet.  I'll check the fuses.  I chalked it up to just taking a while to get heat through the padding but after 1 hr I can't tell if the warmth in the seat is coming from my backside or the heater, even on high.

Great site, love the intel and friendly responses.  Why no threads on BBQ?  If any of you are traveling through Western, NY in October make sure to stop by the Oinktoberfest, a KCBS sanctioned NY State BBQ championships.  Here is a link. http://www.oinktoberfest.com.  It's in conjuction with the pumpkinfest where they have the worlds largest pumpkin weighoff every year.

Welcome!! Answer "IF you have to ask you can't afford one"  :) Sorry but us folks from the south NEVER go farther north than VA for BBQ it just ain't done.  :huepfenjump3:

Enjoy your ride spring should be up your way around the end of june.

About your seat the next time you ride flip on your aux switch next to ing switch- some bike have come with the seat connected to that port so filp it on and check it.

Wayne

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 02:09:16 PM by VAZHOG »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 02:09:28 PM »

Welcome!! Answer "IF you have to ask you can't afford one"  :) Sorry but us folks from the south NEVER go farther north than VA for BBQ it just ain't done.  :huepfenjump3:

Enjoy your ride spring should be up your way around the end of june.

Welcome aboard! This answer always works and you usuallly don't have to explain anything else either. Try: "None of your damn business!" ;D Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 06:26:32 PM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 22 queries.