Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48

Author Topic: Zumo Tips/Tricks...  (Read 141487 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Zumo Tips/Tricks...
« on: April 27, 2007, 08:56:51 PM »

Thought it would be nice to share tips/tricks that members have found on/about using the Zumo.

If you haven't already and are interested in loading/storing "Points Of Interest" you need to download/install the POI Loader Software from Garmin. This is an extra feature that is not loaded when you run the webupdater software.

Another feature/add on I found is a list of U.S. H-D Dealers to load as points of interest.

You will need to load the POI Loader Software first, read the help file, and then download and install the U.S. H-D Dealers into your Zumo. You can load all the dealers or can do it by state to state. If you prefer doing it by state you will need to go into your "H-D Dealers by State" folder and pull out the state *.gpx file along w/the state *.bmp file and put them in a separate folder. Then when the POI asks for location of the files you want to install go to that folder.

If anyone finds any other tips/tricks please share them here.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
Re: Zumo Tips/Tricks...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 06:42:04 AM »

d00d,

I use this on my 2730 also and would like to add a couple of points about these.

1.  You can also load it into mapsource for pre trip planning of routes.  Unfortunately, when you then transfer the routes to the unit, it transfers all 940+ dealers as Favorites as well as POIs.  So what I do is when I add a dealer to a route, I chage its category from Harley dealer to one I created called Trip Planning.  Then before I transfer the routes and waypoints, I use the dropdown menu to show only Harley dealer waypoints and then delete all.  This leaves the ones in the routes so there is no problem.  Your GPS Unit POIs are all there still.

2.  Remember that they are not prefect...use common sense...the POI may be an old farmhouse on a street and not the HD shop...look around, they may have moved or be just up the road in the opposite direction (Pacific Junction, IA for example).

3.  When you use the find menu and select extras (POIs) it gives you the distance to the dealer...this is straightline distance...so if you were in cripple creek, the colorado springs hd shop may say 15 miles but because you have to ride around the mountains it might be 45 miles.

4.  I loaded as a single file reather than individual states...one less menu step when doing the find and it will by default show you the nearest ones...but use caution as I describe in (3) above.

/Bill

Thought it would be nice to share tips/tricks that members have found on/about using the Zumo.

If you haven't already and are interested in loading/storing "Points Of Interest" you need to download/install the POI Loader Software from Garmin. This is an extra feature that is not loaded when you run the webupdater software.

Another feature/add on I found is a list of U.S. H-D Dealers to load as points of interest.

You will need to load the POI Loader Software first, read the help file, and then download and install the U.S. H-D Dealers into your Zumo. You can load all the dealers or can do it by state to state. If you prefer doing it by state you will need to go into your "H-D Dealers by State" folder and pull out the state *.gpx file along w/the state *.bmp file and put them in a separate folder. Then when the POI asks for location of the files you want to install go to that folder.

If anyone finds any other tips/tricks please share them here.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 07:37:09 AM »

Gary,
Were you able to load all the U.S. dealers with the POI loader?  Did you store them on a SD memory card?  I had a problem when I loaded them all in that the Zumo wouldn't power up after I had loaded them and had to send the unit back to Garmin for replacement.  I can't say enough about how good Garmin's tech support is, they gave me their UPS shipping number, I shipped it back next day on Wednesday afternoon and they had me a new unit back to me on Friday.  :2vrolijk_21:
I also had a problem with the new unit on the Birmingham trip last week.  The unit wouldn't power up on internal or external power.  I borrowed JR's to confirm it wasn't anything on my bike and his worked fine.  Mine wouldn't work on his bike either.
I called Garmin on Monday and they had me remove the battery and try powering it up on external power, that worked fine and they had me a new battery on Wednesday.
Bob
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 08:38:27 AM »

d00d,

I use this on my 2730 also and would like to add a couple of points about these.

1.  You can also load it into mapsource for pre trip planning of routes.  Unfortunately, when you then transfer the routes to the unit, it transfers all 940+ dealers as Favorites as well as POIs.  So what I do is when I add a dealer to a route, I chage its category from Harley dealer to one I created called Trip Planning.  Then before I transfer the routes and waypoints, I use the dropdown menu to show only Harley dealer waypoints and then delete all.  This leaves the ones in the routes so there is no problem.  Your GPS Unit POIs are all there still.

2.  Remember that they are not prefect...use common sense...the POI may be an old farmhouse on a street and not the HD shop...look around, they may have moved or be just up the road in the opposite direction (Pacific Junction, IA for example).

3.  When you use the find menu and select extras (POIs) it gives you the distance to the dealer...this is straightline distance...so if you were in cripple creek, the colorado springs hd shop may say 15 miles but because you have to ride around the mountains it might be 45 miles.

4.  I loaded as a single file reather than individual states...one less menu step when doing the find and it will by default show you the nearest ones...but use caution as I describe in (3) above.

/Bill

Bill,
Thanks for those tips. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 08:43:51 AM »

Gary,
Were you able to load all the U.S. dealers with the POI loader?  Did you store them on a SD memory card?  I had a problem when I loaded them all in that the Zumo wouldn't power up after I had loaded them and had to send the unit back to Garmin for replacement.  I can't say enough about how good Garmin's tech support is, they gave me their UPS shipping number, I shipped it back next day on Wednesday afternoon and they had me a new unit back to me on Friday.  :2vrolijk_21:
I also had a problem with the new unit on the Birmingham trip last week.  The unit wouldn't power up on internal or external power.  I borrowed JR's to confirm it wasn't anything on my bike and his worked fine.  Mine wouldn't work on his bike either.
I called Garmin on Monday and they had me remove the battery and try powering it up on external power, that worked fine and they had me a new battery on Wednesday.
Bob
Bob,
I was reluctant to load them all up initially to the Zumo because I haven't received the SD cards I ordered and wasn't sure how much memory they would take in the Zumo and if they would hold them all. I just loaded up my state (VA) just to see how they would work and familiarize myself with them. I did notice that the POI Loader software allows you to remove existing ones so what I was thinking I would just load the states I was anticipating riding in then unload them when I get back home, or load them all on a SD card and take that with me.

I've heard great things about Garmin Customer Support. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 09:31:30 AM »

Bob,
I was reluctant to load them all up initially to the Zumo because I haven't received the SD cards I ordered and wasn't sure how much memory they would take in the Zumo and if they would hold them all. I just loaded up my state (VA) just to see how they would work and familiarize myself with them. I did notice that the POI Loader software allows you to remove existing ones so what I was thinking I would just load the states I was anticipating riding in then unload them when I get back home, or load them all on a SD card and take that with me.

I've heard great things about Garmin Customer Support. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Gary,

That's the approach I took after I had the problem as well.  I have the entire SouthEast loaded plus Canada since I'm going up there in August, that's about 235 POI's.  I have them loaded on a 1GB SD card.  I believe there's a 500 POI limit on the Zumo which may have been my problem on the first attempt, Garmin wasn't able to say for sure, although I'm sure if I pursued an answer I could get one.  I've created a POI file in MapSource (.GPX) extension, and will just add and delete POI's from that using the H-D Dealers by state files.

How's your hip doing?

Bob
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 09:38:47 AM »

Actually it only holds 500 waypoints (favorites)  that is why they added POIs so that you can have many more!  Load the whole database without problem!

/Bill

Gary,

That's the approach I took after I had the problem as well.  I have the entire SouthEast loaded plus Canada since I'm going up there in August, that's about 235 POI's.  I have them loaded on a 1GB SD card.  I believe there's a 500 POI limit on the Zumo which may have been my problem on the first attempt, Garmin wasn't able to say for sure, although I'm sure if I pursued an answer I could get one.  I've created a POI file in MapSource (.GPX) extension, and will just add and delete POI's from that using the H-D Dealers by state files.

How's your hip doing?

Bob

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 09:42:20 AM »

Also, I had problems using the proximity feature on my 2730...it seemed to take up too many resources and caused the unit to lock up.  This feature provides a visual and possibly audible alert when you are within a predetermined distance from a POI.

/Bill

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 09:46:23 AM »

I loaded the whole thing as soon as I got the Zumo.  It works great, and you even see a little H-D emblem when you get close.  Excellent idea for those times when you need a shirt...ha.

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 09:46:45 AM »

Actually it only holds 500 waypoints (favorites)  that is why they added POIs so that you can have many more!  Load the whole database without problem!

/Bill

Thanks Bill, that's good information, I'll get brave enough to try it again one of these days.

Bob
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 09:48:52 AM »

Also, I had problems using the proximity feature on my 2730...it seemed to take up too many resources and caused the unit to lock up.  This feature provides a visual and possibly audible alert when you are within a predetermined distance from a POI.

/Bill

The proximity feature on the Zumo is hit or miss.  Sometimes it alerts me, sometimes it doesn't.  It does seem to use a lot of resources, I've noticed slower map drawing, when I'm withing the proximity area.  I have mine set at 26,000 feet.

Bob
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 02:41:28 PM »

Gary,

How's your hip doing?

Bob
Bob,
Hip is doing great. :2vrolijk_21: I've been able to get back on the bike and do some riding (nothing longer then 100-125 miles at a time) and finished rehab. Going to the gym everyday, riding exercise bike 30 minutes/day, and adding to that lifting weights 3 times a week. I hopefully will end up in better shape then I was, just w/some new parts. ;D Thanks for asking.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 03:31:07 PM »

That's great news Gary, I was just thinking you'd be in better shape than you were before, right before I read you said the same thing.  :2vrolijk_21:

Bob
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 10:20:57 PM »

For those of you using the Zumo in multiple vehicles, as well as on the bike...I'm not sure if it says this in the manual...I don't remember it if it does.

The gas guage setting where you get reminded at your preset gas mileage to fill up...it only counts miles while on the motorcycle mount.  It actually knows which mount it's on, and
only counts those miles.  I was shocked, but of course, it makes perfect sense. 

I was pleased to discover this.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 07:28:08 PM »

Got my SD cards yesterday and have been loading music into them and found out something that may or may not be new or helpful to all. I originally loaded my music into different folders (style of music) onto my SD card and when I put the Zumo on the bike and went to look for it, it was all showing up as "Unknown". I've found out if you just right click onto the music file and go to properties/summary and label the "Genre" this make them show up. It seems that is what Zumo is reading to classify the music.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.