Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Hawg Halters "RoadLok" Calipers-----Ooops  (Read 4835 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Hawg Halters "RoadLok" Calipers-----Ooops
« on: April 28, 2007, 12:29:12 PM »

The best mistakes are the ones we create all by ourselves.  The frustrating ones, however, are the ones left to us by others.  Here's my latest so someone else can avoid it.

Six weeks or so ago I got a set of "RoadLok" calipers from Hawg Halters.  It is basically their differential bore caliper with a disc lock built in to the caliper casting. In the image you'll see the key and tumbler that releases the locking pin immediately to the left of the tumbler.  That locking pin is a spring loaded mechanism that engages through one of the holes in the rotor as the wheel rolls forward or back.  It seemed like a better mousetrap.  So I stuck my head under the trap's arm.

There's an issue.

At least with the rotors used on the 05 SEEG's the venting holes in the rotors never align with the pin lock in the caliper such that the pin can engage.  Several cover about half the diameter of a hole.  But that's as good as it gets.

Quite frankly I bolted the calipers on awhile back and never physically tested the lock mechanism to check it's function.  The company was certain that it would work and offered no reservations.  I'd told them what bike was the target.  I just didn't give it much thought.  They'd said that hole pattern was "universal" on rotors from Harley.

Last night it occurred to me that I'd stuck the locking pin in three or four times when leaving the bike someplace.  But had never actually made it engage.  So I tried it.  It doesn't. 

Rolled the bike through two full wheel revoutions.  Never bites.  Can look through the lock hole in the caliper and watch the holes in the rotor pass by.  About half a hole is all that ever lines up.

Considered drilling one hole in the rotor larger.  But then realized I'd want to do several.  Otherwise a full wheel revolution under power might be the force that would suddenly hit against the caliper mounting studs on the fork.  That didn't seem like a good plan....

So fair warning.  The product is a good idea.  But absolutely confirm your rotors with the company before ordering if one is interested.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 12:31:22 PM by Twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re: Hawg Halters "RoadLok" Calipers-----Ooops
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 04:25:02 PM »

Ok, this was just annoying the hell out of me since last night.  Had way too much to do today to even think about screwing with.  Screwed with it anyway.

The pin is smaller in diameter than the holes in the rotor it needs to set within.  So even though only about half the diameter of the hole was available it was still really really close.

Rotors are, of course, hard.  HARD.  Drilling them with a standard ordinarly $2.89 drill bit would likely be a good exercise in overheating and ruining a drill bit while only pissing off the rotor.

So, after making sure once again that all possible play in the caliper bolts that might help was being used I set down on the floor with a mother of an expensive rotary hone and started working inside the holes.  An hour later, one pretty much ruined hone, and 6 holes now captured by the pin.  Opened up each hole no more than probably .015" or so.  Not much, but enough.

I don't know if there's a bit of casting variation in the fork legs that might account for having the caliper in or out of position enough to make a difference.  With legs that were anodized or polished it would have been far simpler to relieve ever so slightly the two holes that bolt the caliper in place rather than the rotor itself.  Didn't want to break the edge on the chrome of these engraved legs though.

In any case, can not say absolutely that someone might have the same problem.  Only that this particular combination of parts did.  It works now though.  So all's well that pins well.

HDguy

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 07:55:49 PM »

Don,  I have not had any problems with mine.The holes line up perfectly.Now with that said, I am receiving on Thursday new wheels/tires,rotors and pulley from Hogpro and I sure hope I don't have any issues with the holes in the new rotors lining up. I was told that all rotors are universal and that the holes should line up.
2006 flhtcuse,V@H true duals with classic slash cut mufflers with end caps, slotted six spoke drive sprocket,fuelpak tuner,nav sys,stage 1 intake,chrome inner primary,SE six speed trans,chrome intake backplate.
2005 flstsci,aux lights,se mufflers,sta

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 09:10:07 PM »

Is there any adjustment in the calipers themselves as opposed to "clearancing" your rotors?
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 10:58:28 PM »

Is there any adjustment in the calipers themselves as opposed to "clearancing" your rotors?

Puz, if you loosen the bolts that attach the calipers to the legs there is very little bit of play there.  I used all that (in my case needing to raise the caliper as far as it would possibly go) and it still didn't make it.  Ever so close.  But not quite.

Something I thought of later was that these legs have been chromed after then had their engraving and paint work done.  It's possible the bolt holes could have a greater thickness of chrome in them than they would have stock.  If so that's some very small amount of tolerance they're allowing for the system.

Most important thing of course is that it works now.  Blew an extra hour making it go.  But it works. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 11:03:42 PM »

Don,  I have not had any problems with mine.The holes line up perfectly.Now with that said, I am receiving on Thursday new wheels/tires,rotors and pulley from Hogpro and I sure hope I don't have any issues with the holes in the new rotors lining up. I was told that all rotors are universal and that the holes should line up.

HDg, the holes being a "universal" pattern and all lining up was what I was told as well.  Quite frankly I doubted that as have seen some aftermarket products with significantly different patterns than some others.  Even asked tham about that specifically when I ordered and they took a step back and said the "factory" hole patterns were universal.

As close as these were there is little doubt that the set of holes used were the intended target.  Likely some minor manufacturing variation that accounted for the difference.  It was a nuisance.  I wish it had just worked out of the box.  But it works now.  And I didn't have to crack a line or re-bleed anything to get there.  That's as good a place as any to declare victory.

When you get your new pieces it'd be interesting to see the aftermarket rotor layed over the OE piece.  To see if the hole patterns and sizes really are the same from different manufacturers.  Good luck on it all working together without a hitch  :2vrolijk_21: .

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 06:35:24 AM »

Do you think you affected your rotor balance at all? Wheel balance? :nixweiss:
2023 CVO Road Glide

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 08:24:11 AM »

Thanks for the tip, I'd seen those and they looked like a good idea.
Lock aside, how do you like the calipers performance over stock?
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 01:15:24 PM »

Do you think you affected your rotor balance at all? Wheel balance? :nixweiss:

No Puz, not at all.  It was six holes evenly spaced around the rotor and it was a honing of each hole that made them at most .015" larger in diameter.  Wasn't worried at the time and have ridden it since.  No difference.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 01:18:57 PM »

Thanks for the tip, I'd seen those and they looked like a good idea.
Lock aside, how do you like the calipers performance over stock?

Nidan, like you I do like the idea of the integrated disc lock.  It's just a convenient, easy, (now) effective way to do something that I'd never otherwise actually do.  The calipers work great too.  I put Lyndall pads in them before their installation.  They've only been ridden maybe 200-250 miles.  But they're good stuff.  A noticably improved feel in both effect and feedback from the stock parts.  My stock calipers had Lyndalls in them also.  It's even a distinct improvement over the stock pieces with the better pads in them.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 10:17:28 PM »

Just for grins notice the blue line Nidan.  It's what's drawn when a magic marker is stuck through the pin hole in the caliper.  The hole closest to the bottom of the picture is the one closest to lining up.  It's part of the series of holes that would be the middle line of the three lines of holes.  The pin is smaller than the holes.  So it doesn't need all of it.  It just need a teeny tiny bit more than this.

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 05:25:29 AM »

a slight enlargement there shouldn't upset the balance
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 06:51:59 AM »

a slight enlargement there shouldn't upset the balance
I agree after seeing the picture.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 11:00:56 PM »

I agree after seeing the picture.

Was definitely never concerned about creating a balance issue.  But sometimes a picture is worth 87 or even 88 words.

HDguy

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 06:38:23 PM »

Well I got my new wheels, tires, and rotors installed and guess what, the holes in the rotors did not completely line up with the road lock. :( They were not off by much but enough for it not to work.

Luckily I have access to a machine shop and they let me borrow some reamers to open the holes up.I only opened up 6 holes and the road lock now works fine.

I was a bit concerned about how tough it might be opening up the holes in such hard material but the reamers along with some lubricant cut through with no problems ;D   The holes in the rotors were .343 and I wound up opening them up to .406.

All in all it wasn't too much of a pain in the a$$ but like what 2lane said it was just a nuisance. So let the buyer beware.
2006 flhtcuse,V@H true duals with classic slash cut mufflers with end caps, slotted six spoke drive sprocket,fuelpak tuner,nav sys,stage 1 intake,chrome inner primary,SE six speed trans,chrome intake backplate.
2005 flstsci,aux lights,se mufflers,sta

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 09:10:28 PM »

Well I got my new wheels, tires, and rotors installed and guess what, the holes in the rotors did not completely line up with the road lock. :( They were not off by much but enough for it not to work.

Luckily I have access to a machine shop and they let me borrow some reamers to open the holes up.I only opened up 6 holes and the road lock now works fine.

I was a bit concerned about how tough it might be opening up the holes in such hard material but the reamers along with some lubricant cut through with no problems ;D   The holes in the rotors were .343 and I wound up opening them up to .406.

All in all it wasn't too much of a pain in the a$$ but like what 2lane said it was just a nuisance. So let the buyer beware.

Sounds like exactly the same problem and response HDG.  Used six holes from same circuit in the rotor.  I'm pretty sure I didn't gain more than .020 on any of them.  Certainly not a big deal.  Just would've been nicer if didn't have to mess with it.  Pretty slick little system no that it's working though  :2vrolijk_21: .
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.