Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Detachable backrest? FXR3  (Read 2738 times)

KSims1868

• Pearl FXR3 - lovin it!
Detachable backrest? FXR3
« on: December 04, 2003, 10:17:19 AM »

Does anyone know which detachable backrest rails I need to buy for my FXR3?

Will the ones for a Dyna work...how about the Sportster detachable rails?  Help is greatly appreciated as I'm learning the dealerships (and HD headquarters) seems to know nothing about this model.
Life's a garden...dig it!

fxr4

• ride it like you stole it
Re: Detachable backrest? FXR3
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 10:50:01 AM »

Not sure about the detachable backrest but I am sure of the lack of knowledge alot of dealers have on the FXR2,3, and 4. I've often wondered if anyone else ever ran into this issue.

KSims1868

• Pearl FXR3 - lovin it!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 12:34:26 PM »

Oh yeah...I even had a tech at HD HEADQUARTERS on the parts line tell me that ALL the parts for any Dyna model would fit on any FXR.

His reasoning was...and I quote, "The Dyna and FXR frame are the exact same frame, so all the parts are interchangable."

I was able to convince him to ask another associate and he said his manager owned and FXR3 and could back him up on this.  He came back a couple minutes later and apologized.  He now knows that the Dyna and FXR are totally DIFFERENT frames.

If I was an uninformed HD owner...I'd have spent several hundred dollars on a new solo seat and backrest for a Dyna from HD...luckily I knew enough to question this person.  

DON'T TRUST THE CATALOGS that say "will fit Dyna/FXR"

fxr4

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 07:10:05 PM »

Yes some dealers amaze me. I'd like to have a solo seat with a drivers back rest
« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 07:15:18 PM by FXR4 »

KSims1868

• Pearl FXR3 - lovin it!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 10:40:33 AM »

That's good to know about the 21" wheel.  I have thought about getting one on my FXR3, but of course I have the earlier axle.  I've wondered if they make a 21" thunderstar wheel for my bike.  

You've likely seen me before.  I frequently visit "The Horse" message board and the "V-Twin Forum".  

fxr4

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 07:37:19 PM »

Looking in the 04 catalog doesn't seemed to be offered to fit a narrow frt. end except in a 19" which you have. V-Twin Forum is where I've seen you.

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.