Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: How much $ to change an Ultra to a CUSE?  (Read 3589 times)

yoopermjm

How much $ to change an Ultra to a CUSE?
« on: May 02, 2007, 09:08:05 PM »

Did anyone ever figure out how much it would cost to take, say, a $21,000 2006 Ultra Classic and bling it up to a $32,000 2006 FLHTCUSE?  I'm just curious.  I've heard that that in buying an SE you're actually saving money.  There's NO doubt that the look is awesome, and much pertier than a regular Ultra, but do you actually save money by not putting the chrome boards, levers, grips, heated seat and grips, leather tour pak, larger engine, better cams, gages, etc. in yourself?  Assuming so, how much?  Anyone ever do the math?
From da Nortwoods of Da U.P., eh?

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
Re: How much $ to change an Ultra to a CUSE?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 09:12:47 PM »

I'm not sure it's even possible. Some of the specific CVO parts are only sold if you have a CVO VIN number.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 09:17:27 PM »

Did anyone ever figure out how much it would cost to take, say, a $21,000 2006 Ultra Classic and bling it up to a $32,000 2006 FLHTCUSE?  I'm just curious.  I've heard that that in buying an SE you're actually saving money.  There's NO doubt that the look is awesome, and much pertier than a regular Ultra, but do you actually save money by not putting the chrome boards, levers, grips, heated seat and grips, leather tour pak, larger engine, better cams, gages, etc. in yourself?  Assuming so, how much?  Anyone ever do the math?

I ballparked it, realizing that it was just for grins since its not possible (VIN identifies them).  Figured out to be more to make your own.  After my OCD was finished (so far) on the RK Classic, I figured out a SERK would have been less costly.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 09:19:51 PM »

I did kinda spreadsheet it when I got my 07.

I added up all the chrome, electronics, leather tour pack, liners, extras and the cost of 103 upgrade (I had no basis for 110 engine, paint skins, heated CU seat) but that total was about 3k over CUSE cost.

I also took in consideration the fact that insurance TYPICALLY does not cover the value of upgrades and did not put a value of depreciation value of CUSE vs Std model.

Additionally, I did not factor in that I would have to upgrade the factory exhaust, air cleaner, sert/pc/etc no matter what I bought (same/same).

So I was able to justify the SECU2 over stock based on this analysis.

I should also have factored the value of the excitement of replacing my stock handlebars with WW1 chubbys and the current fun of having my head gaskets replaced (day 8 and still waiting).  :P

Hope this helps,

Mark

cigarmike

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 09:26:07 PM »

Ironbutt has one, he ordered a 110 ultra from the factory with 6 speed and everything else he wanted on it. I think he said about 31k out the door?. Damn nice bike and as much a cvo as ours minus the custom 1200-1500 of a kind paint.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 10:52:11 PM »

Well Los Dragonnes, my 2007 Road Glide is a pretty fair aproximation of what the MoCo would have built for a SERG this year had they decided to. Only thing is my motor is a 103 vice the 110 that they would have used. I've got around $33,000 tied up in LD which includes the 103 motor upgrade with a SERT, A Doherty Power Pacc and a set of 65115-98B SE Slip-ons. I've got 10" Chubby's with all braided stainless lines and cables and chrome controls and Tailfin mirrors, a Corbin seat system with seat,rider and passenger backrests all stitched with flame outlines. Polished solid spun aluminum wheels from an 03 SERK, a King tour-pak with the rear light bar and rear speaker system for the Advanced Audio Sound System. A Clearview windshield with the RG chrome windshield trim and all of the flame themed items in the catalogue and a bunch of odds and ends chrome detail items. I had the bike pinstriped with flame outlines like an 04 -05 SEEG and had the side panels painted to complete the body stripe from the tank to the saddlebag. With the exception of the motor and the paint work, I did all the labor on everything myself including cutting the tour-pak for the rear light bar. Screamin_Beagle did the electricals on the Chubby install. My estimate on labor for all of that would be around 40 hrs. Sp anyway, in my opinion, I have more than I'd have for $35k had I been able to buy an 07 SERG. The bike is mine, no other around like it, customized to suit me, my riding habits and my tastes as regards the esthetics of the bike. What I don't have however is the re-sale value of the CVO. Everybody who ever threw a leg over a Harley customizes their bike to their own desire. But not every Harley is a CVO. Say what you will about them, they are limited production ( as compared to standard models) they are often hard to find and owners wait for several months for theirs to arrive and all that adds up to a cachet in some people's minds, or exclusitivity in others or as might be the case if you started with a full dress Ultra-Classic, value as well.

B B

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 09:06:01 AM »

Ironbutt has one, he ordered a 110 ultra from the factory with 6 speed and everything else he wanted on it. I think he said about 31k out the door?. Damn nice bike and as much a cvo as ours minus the custom 1200-1500 of a kind paint.

I did not think you could order a bike (other than color) and options especially a limited edition motor.  Interesting.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 09:16:18 AM »

You need to come up on the price of the custom paint to about 5K - Harley is really proud of the paint shop :)

cigarmike

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 09:56:06 AM »

You need to come up on the price of the custom paint to about 5K - Harley is really proud of the paint shop :)

I should'nt have to mention where I think MoCo should shove their custom paint. The best place would be up Vern the factor reps butt in my opinion.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 10:22:08 AM »

Somebody did one back in 04 or 05 on the SEEG.  As I recall, it had the stock Electra Glide listed and then each part and price listed individually........it was much more than the SEEG price.  And didn't take into consideration the resale value of a CVO vs. that of a base model with a bunch of add ons........most of us know how that works now days. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 10:22:50 AM »

It's hard to figure out because there are items that come on the ultra, such as front and rear fender "bumpers", saddle bag rails, etc., that you have to subtract from the cost of an Ultra before you can start adding the cost of the things a CVO has over the Ultra. (Also, subtract what you might get on eBay for selling the removed stock Ultra parts, amount: $?)  Beings I'm not a great wrench like a lot of the others are in here, I had to figure in labor to do a lot of that work,  Figure in the costs of the limited production paint (5K) and the 110 engine (3K) (which you have to crack the cases to turn a 96 into a 110, more labor), hydraulic clutch, inner fairing, spun guages, all the chrome, etc, etc, .  I came up with a price of just over $40K.  After all of that, there's one thing missing, it's still not a CVO.  You will, no doubt, have a beautiful ride, and the pride of doing it your way, but it's still not a CVO.  There is, in my opinion, a certain amount of "status", if you will, applied to having a CVO.  And the treatment we received at the York factory, and seeing the employees that came out to look at all the CVO's lined up to leave, shows that even they put the CVO a little above the rest.  ;)
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

cigarmike

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 11:20:56 AM »

Again, Im not trying to diss my CVO, or any of yours, BUT, for what I saw on Ironbutt's, (Steve's) bike this last weekend, he had all the bells and whistles, chrome everywhere we have it etc. plus the 6 speed, 110, and a few things I dont have yet. And ordering it like that from the factory, maybe the cost isnt any where near as much as taking a stock Ultra and buying all the required parts. I have over 40k+ in mine easy , not including my last years mods. If the 31k OTD price like it sat as I saw it is true, I cant see how the the value would depreciate much less more than ours does. I see '05's seeg with squat for miles going for under 25k all the time. But none of us buy our bikes for resale profit, cause there is none. Im only saying, this is not a bad way to go, and like Steve said, that leaves a lot of spare money to paint the thing anyway he wants too. so he will have a 1 of a kind 110 ultra where as mine , there are at least 1200 or more out there just like it. and hes still spending less than me. I hope you guys dont run me off the CVO site for my opinion.  :o ....you Don't want to make  me have to go Imus on your nappy headed ass's.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 11:24:13 AM by Mike L »

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 12:24:44 PM »

Again, Im not trying to diss my CVO, or any of yours, BUT, for what I saw on Ironbutt's, (Steve's) bike this last weekend, he had all the bells and whistles, chrome everywhere we have it etc. plus the 6 speed, 110, and a few things I dont have yet. And ordering it like that from the factory, maybe the cost isnt any where near as much as taking a stock Ultra and buying all the required parts. I have over 40k+ in mine easy , not including my last years mods. If the 31k OTD price like it sat as I saw it is true, I cant see how the the value would depreciate much less more than ours does. I see '05's seeg with squat for miles going for under 25k all the time. But none of us buy our bikes for resale profit, cause there is none. Im only saying, this is not a bad way to go, and like Steve said, that leaves a lot of spare money to paint the thing anyway he wants too. so he will have a 1 of a kind 110 ultra where as mine , there are at least 1200 or more out there just like it. and hes still spending less than me. I hope you guys dont run me off the CVO site for my opinion.  :o ....you Don't want to make  me have to go Imus on your nappy headed ass's.

Mike,
One thing great about this site is you'll never get run off for voicing your opinion.  ;) They are always welcome.  The only question I have is, I don't think you can special order a custom designed bike from the factory. (I could be wrong on this point though.)  To my understanding, unless it's a CVO, the Ultra will come from the factory with a 96 cubic inch engine, or by the sounds of it he bought a 2006 because you also mentioned he got the 6-speed tranny, which is standard on all 07's big twins now, it came from the factory with an 88 installed.  Once it gets to the dealer, then you can have them do whatever you want to it, (put the 110 in, 6-speed, clutch, and all the bling you desire/can afford to buy). During the factory tour, they never mentioned that they had a custom order program.  I've never heard of the MoCo doing this.  He may have ordered it through his dealership with all of that, but my money is on that all of that work was done either at the dealership or out-sourced to a custom bike shop. JMHO.

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 12:29:45 PM »

Your right, some of the parts do need a CVO VIN No.  But in a similar thread what about converting the SERK to a SE Road Glide - apart from the paint is this possible and can Fairing be purchased?

cigarmike

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 02:49:41 PM »

Mike,
One thing great about this site is you'll never get run off for voicing your opinion.  ;) They are always welcome.  The only question I have is, I don't think you can special order a custom designed bike from the factory. (I could be wrong on this point though.)  To my understanding, unless it's a CVO, the Ultra will come from the factory with a 96 cubic inch engine, or by the sounds of it he bought a 2006 because you also mentioned he got the 6-speed tranny, which is standard on all 07's big twins now, it came from the factory with an 88 installed.  Once it gets to the dealer, then you can have them do whatever you want to it, (put the 110 in, 6-speed, clutch, and all the bling you desire/can afford to buy). During the factory tour, they never mentioned that they had a custom order program.  I've never heard of the MoCo doing this.  He may have ordered it through his dealership with all of that, but my money is on that all of that work was done either at the dealership or out-sourced to a custom bike shop. JMHO.

Well, I cant speak for Ironbutt, and my memory's not the best, so cant quote anyone real well, Im going by the key points of our conversation, hopefully, he will read this thread and post on the matter. I could be wrong on the exact way and costs etc.  that he mentioned. I do know , that it perked my interest. Im also going the dealership to have them look at my voltage regulator, Ill get in the salesman ear while Im there and report back.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 02:52:48 PM by Mike L »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 21 queries.