Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 04 SEEG stock radio /HW speakers, cuts out at more than half volume  (Read 6446 times)

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG

My stock SEEG radio with HawgWired speakers 'cuts out' at more than half volume. When I say 'cuts out', it doesn't get distorted sounding, it just seems like it cuts in and out. H e l l,  I  c a n 't  d e s c r i b e  i t :nixweiss:, but moving or parked, I can't turn it over half volume (according to the little graphic bars), which means at speed I can't turn it up enough to really hear it.
Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks,
:-Jerry
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)

Can't say it is the same thing but mine would do that and I had to send the radio out for repair. I thought it was wires, speakers and fuses. Nope. It just wouldn't take any sustained volume until it got to the point where it wouldn't go past half way at all.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Internal amp breaking down?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon

Garz;
There are two sets of speakers wires on your bike. The CVO leads and the standard leads. the standard leads are taped back on the harness near the speakers. Try connecting the standard leads to the speakers and see what happens. If they play fine then it is possible that the secondary internal amp on the radio is going bad.

patrickt

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE

Do you remember whether you purchased 8 ohm or 4 ohm speakers from Hawg Wired?  I ask because the 05 and earlier radios are 8 ohm output and using 4 ohm speakers could damage the radio.

Patrick

patrickt

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE

Well, after further investigation, it appears that the 04/05 CVO Electra Glides used a different radio package which is a 4 ohm output.  So, hopefully you purchased 4 ohm speakers rather than 8 ohm ones.

Patrick

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Well, after further investigation, it appears that the 04/05 CVO Electra Glides used a different radio package which is a 4 ohm output.  So, hopefully you purchased 4 ohm speakers rather than 8 ohm ones.

Patrick

Yes sireee, the SEEGs got the radio that Harley marketed as an amp'd upgrade otherwise.  I think the called it the "Classic Audio Kit" or something close to that.  Part number for the radio kit as a stand alone was 76350-04.  It was damned expensive too.  60 watt amp in the radio (that was good for maybe half that  :huepfenlol2: ).

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

Jim... what impedance did you sell me? I have to dig out the box in the garage to find out, but seems to me we had the discussion and I'm sure I got the right ones.

Patrick, I used to sell electronics, 'hi-fi', and other stuff before transistors became popular and matching impedance wasn't a big deal, what with great big output xfmrs. These transistor things are finicky, alright.  But, I'll check that fer sure.

Jim, I'll try your suggestion on switching to the standard amp. Goes along with what Don said, and what I was feeling... amp... damit.

Seems to me it was working OK back when... or was it?? I remember the thread about dirty CD heads, and cleaned mine because it was cutting out like it was skipping.  I never used to turn up the radio, just CDs, and it sounded like a skipping CD.   Hmmm, maybe it's been bad since day one.  Quandary to self: If it's bad, do I claim 'extended w____ty" and let the dealer pull it out :o  or do I pull it myself, send it to Radio Sound and just pay the bill, or do I throw it under the bus and get a different radio altogether? :nixweiss:   Actually, I rather like the radio... suits me fine... if it'll work.

sigh.

Thanks for the input, gentlemen!
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon

Jim... what impedance did you sell me? I have to dig out the box in the garage to find out, but seems to me we had the discussion and I'm sure I got the right ones.

Patrick, I used to sell electronics, 'hi-fi', and other stuff before transistors became popular and matching impedance wasn't a big deal, what with great big output xfmrs. These transistor things are finicky, alright.  But, I'll check that fer sure.

Jim, I'll try your suggestion on switching to the standard amp. Goes along with what Don said, and what I was feeling... amp... damit.

Seems to me it was working OK back when... or was it?? I remember the thread about dirty CD heads, and cleaned mine because it was cutting out like it was skipping.  I never used to turn up the radio, just CDs, and it sounded like a skipping CD.   Hmmm, maybe it's been bad since day one.  Quandary to self: If it's bad, do I claim 'extended w____ty" and let the dealer pull it out :o  or do I pull it myself, send it to Radio Sound and just pay the bill, or do I throw it under the bus and get a different radio altogether? :nixweiss:   Actually, I rather like the radio... suits me fine... if it'll work.

sigh.

Thanks for the input, gentlemen!

Jerry, You have the 4 ohm CX speaker, The 2 ohm versions are not yet released. Has it done this since the speakers went in? If I remember you had a problem with the stockers as well?

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

Jerry, You have the 4 ohm CX speaker, The 2 ohm versions are not yet released. Has it done this since the speakers went in? If I remember you had a problem with the stockers as well?
Ha, you found it before I could find the box! Yes, I had the problem before the HW speakers, but like I said, I thought the CD was skipping 'cause that's what it sounds like.

I just don't have time to pick my nose, much less work on the bike. :P
Barely have time to log on here! :D

bigdog257

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: 04 SEEG stock radio /HW speakers, cuts out at more than half volume
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 05:04:52 PM »

Jerry, I pulled my stock radio out and still have it. You can have it if yours is shot.

Bob

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 09:34:03 PM »

Jerry, I pulled my stock radio out and still have it. You can have it if yours is shot.

Bob

I haven't had time to try Jim's idea of isolating the secondary amp yet.  Scott in the Chapter has a SERG and his radio was cutting out when it was hot.  Tried that today, and was able to crank it up in the garage with the radio cold. Later, after riding and it sat it the sun for several hours it started cutting out so I couldn't turn it even half way up.  Bike goes in for service next week but the dealership is NOT going to open my fairing.  "Intermittent radio" is something they'd probably "Cannot duplicate at this time".

Bob, if you were able to run your radio loud enough to hear while riding, I'll need to make a deal with ya. Thanks, pal!

bigdog257

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 09:21:58 PM »

I thought free was a deal.  ;D

Bob

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 09:58:48 PM »

Well, by golly, OK!  I'll be in touch! You da man!  :-* :-[ I mean  :2vrolijk_21:
Thanks!

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 07:41:18 PM »

I recently had a similar problem..it really torqued me off.  It would cut out and get quirky when I got it above 30mph.  I could listen to it at 4 bars usually, which isn't loud enuf to hear while riding.  Int he garage it sounded great, even loud.  Guess what the problem ended up being?

Loose battery cables.  Cost to fix?   $0

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 08:14:03 PM »

Alright, Doc!    Bike is at dealer for service right now :nervous:   I'll recheck cables after I get it back from them (have to recheck everything anyway)    >:(
Thanks!

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 08:29:03 PM »

So, I got Bigdog's radio, installed it, and it sounds WAY better than mine. Not only doesn't cut out, but has better fidelity. Go figger.  So, the old one goes back to the dealer who is gonna send it in for warr..ty repair.  :orange:

Thanks, Bob, I owe you!

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 10:37:38 AM »

Update: I think now the radio I got from Bob is cutting out. WTF?  More testing to be done.

But wait! The story continues... I took my old SEEG radio (76350-04 "Classic Amplified yada yada") and gave it to my dealer, they sent it in for wa...rty.  I get a call that it's back... I pick it up, and . . .
it's a different radio!  A Harman Kardon; looks like the "Advanced Audio" thing. WTF?
Tag on the radio says 76160-06... I can't find that number in the book. What the hell is it??
Is it better than my old one?
Will it fit my 04 SEEG?
What is the output impedance? (since I have the nice 4 ohm HWs)
No instruction manual sent with it (of course).

Should I be doing  :znotworthy: or  :sauer021: ?
Did I just win the lottery, or did I just get shafted?
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.