Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Spending $5k and no chrome....  (Read 2933 times)

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
Re: Spending $5k and no chrome....
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2007, 09:24:28 AM »

A dyno chart without the ET line is essentially worthless because you have no sense of how quick the bike is. All you know is that it develops x amount of TQ at X RPMs and x amount of HP at X RPMS. What the ET chart tells you is how long it takes to get to the various points on the curve. A really good set of cams should get you to Max TQ in 3.5 seconds or under. Anything under 3 seconds and you've got one kick ass ride. Say your buddy is running 115 TQ and 105 HP but it takes 4.5 seconds for the motor to climb to that 115TQ number. Now say your bike is only running 105TQ and 100 HP but it hits the 105TQ number at 3.5 seconds. You've got him beat and beat bad. Course once he gets his revs up he pulls ahead but by then the next light turns red and you've won. This is what I mean by the redlight challenge. You're gonna win every time with lower overall numbers if you get to em quicker. Now out on the highway doing a 5th gear roll on, your buddy is gonna win and if he's smart, that's the only time he'll want to run anyone. Most guys like this will make some excuse why they don't do the redlight challenge, but in truth they know their running motors that develop those big numbers at high RPMs. Usually with long duration, high lift cams. So you see why cam grinding is such a science and knowledge of cam grinds is everything if you want a certain type of power.

B B

Spiderman,

I understand your notion of redlight challenge. As I go to the motor builder daily now, we spoke of such comparisons as you have noted. Of course, the common language of technical jargon is beyond me to a point. However, as I am promised a "monster of a bike", I requested full dyno results and suggested the "Redlight Challenge" ET line. I think he will provide me with valuable data, yet I was not sure he got the point yet.

So, I am printing out the explanation you suggested for my builder to read through. I expect my ride back under my rear in seven days or less.

Thanks for your input.

kona76
Mike K.
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2007, 10:57:42 AM »

Spiderman,

I understand your notion of redlight challenge. As I go to the motor builder daily now, we spoke of such comparisons as you have noted. Of course, the common language of technical jargon is beyond me to a point. However, as I am promised a "monster of a bike", I requested full dyno results and suggested the "Redlight Challenge" ET line. I think he will provide me with valuable data, yet I was not sure he got the point yet.

So, I am printing out the explanation you suggested for my builder to read through. I expect my ride back under my rear in seven days or less.

Thanks for your input.

kona76
Mike K.

Or you could just to to Bartell's Harley-Davidson in Marina del Ray and tell em you want a "quick bike " as opposed to a " fast bike "  They speak the language there.

B B
     PS Say hello to Lou Berg the Parts Manager for me if you do stop in at Bartell's.

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 09:16:09 AM »

Or you could just to to Bartell's Harley-Davidson in Marina del Ray and tell em you want a "quick bike " as opposed to a " fast bike "  They speak the language there.

B B
     PS Say hello to Lou Berg the Parts Manager for me if you do stop in at Bartell's.

Spiderman,

Hey, I've been in the LA, CA area for about 40 years on and off now. I first went to Bartell's way back yonder in the old days as an "interested in Harley Davidson finally" prospect. They sure have grown beyond the normal limits of an HD Dealer. Not a single visit to Marina Del Rey without seeing 50 or more bikes in the front. And the new building is just perfect. I have two dealers here in the San Fernando Valley that could combine and not even touch the business side of Bartell's. My HD dealer is with a mile of my home near West Hills, Ca. (Barger Harley Davidson) for my OCD. My performance guys are at World Thunder.

I'll say hi to Lou next visit for ya.

Kona76
Mike K.
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 22 queries.