Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Im still alive.  (Read 14769 times)

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Im still alive.
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2007, 02:25:05 PM »

Living in the Woods of VA many accidents with deer and bikes- these things are very true with deer
1. They Never travel alone (if you see one others will follow)
2. Sounding Horns (Startle them and they will bound out at you)
3. Headlights make them freeze (when They see it) (that's called Spotlighting) Hunting term.
4. If the Deer where SPOOKED and running at full speed none of the above apply-I think that what happened in your case.

Deer will Run wildly During Rut Season, Or Hunting season (Most rural county's in VA allow Dog use Hunting for Deer)
A major pain in the fall around here as they will Run fast and hard. (Deer Whistles DO NOT work) or (Work as well as the little bell so folks tie on there bikes) It a Belief system.

Depending on how fast you where going if you had slowed for the first chances are the second or third would have knocked you down. SO as with most motorcycle accidents the rider will never see it coming.

You are very luck one of my friends is still in ICU and his accident was 4 weeks ago.

I'm sure you bike had loud pipes so a horn would have been a mute point-  :soapbox:

When I was a Boy in this area Dear were few and far between- (NO Stores) or that many people deer were hunted for food!! AS this place grew and more folks and stores moved in they have over bred everywhere and now that most must love them (Bambi) It gotten even worse - in my neck of the woods I kill'em cut the tenderloin out and throw the rest on a gut pile (year round) but alas I can't do it all.

I know you must be feeling better because you are typing along with us - Good Luck on your recovery.

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2007, 06:26:52 PM »

Mike, Praise God your alive to be telling us about it! I will be lifting you up in prayer for a speedy recovery! Last October on my way to the Maggie Valley get together my buddy nailed a deer about 90 miles into our trip. We were doing around 60 mph and as I crest a hill I saw a state trooper and looked in my mirror to see if my buddy saw him and noticed he wasn't there. Thank God for the trooper, he came up on the scene just as he came to a stop. Called ambulance and they were there in about 15 minutes. Broken ribs and a broken wrist is what he ended up with, no road rash! He now has a new O/B Road Glide. Bless ya Buddy! :2vrolijk_21:

JR :bananarock:

Here are some before and after pics of his accident.

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2007, 06:29:13 PM »

About 15 minutes after he killed Bambi

harleydiva

« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2007, 06:33:25 PM »

So sorry to hear about your accident, but SO glad you are okay.   :)

TcnBham and I are big believers of wearing helmets and are so glad you were wearing yours.  I know what you mean about your wife being a "trooper".  We truly love riding.   I hear it's not a matter of "if you go down", it's "when you go down".

Take care.

Happy and Safe Trails,

Suzanne

HarleyBee103

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTK
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »

Glad to hear you're okay.  I wish you a speedy recovery and good luck with the new bike search.
Nelson, BC (2007)
Sedona, AR (2008)
Hood River, OR (2009)

Asphault

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2007, 08:19:44 PM »

I think he wants a Road Glide SE (fltr).

So glad you are okay!!!! Heel up quickly and completely!
Robmay, I would have kept that bike for a long time. I'm sure that this is just a stepping stone on the path to bigger and better things in my life.. Thanks for your reply and keep your head in the wind.                  Asphault.

Asphault

« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2007, 08:22:19 PM »

It's good to hear your OK.
Thanks puzzled, I really like the picture of your bike. We had some of the best times in our life on ours, I hope that you enjoy yours to the fullest.      Mike

Asphault

« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2007, 08:28:17 PM »

I'm glad you were wearing a helmet  :2vrolijk_21:

I hope you get all healed up soon and find a replacement bike.  It coulda been a lot worse.
Tros, your right it could have been alot worse. I have learned a valuable lesson about the helmet(DONT RIDE WITHOUT ONE). I am so glad that i had one on. I would rather be alive than look cool.   Thanks  for your reply.          Asphault

Asphault

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2007, 08:38:56 PM »

Mike, I'm glad to hear that you are doing okay. I agree, you are lucky to be alive after hitting a deer at 65mph. I'd say you got your moneys worth out of that helmet. Were you wearing gloves, boots and leathers when you went down? God speed a fast recovery to you.

Mark
Thanks Mark, It will definitely be something that i will not forget. I was wearing a buffalo jacket, no boots and no gloves. I had a decent sprain on my right ankle from the low top steel toes i was wearing for work. I can attest to the fact that protective equipment will save you alot of pain. The jacket i was wearing is scuffed really bad and the snaps around the collar and chest were ground off to the point of not snapping anymore. I would hate to see how much skin i would have lost if i didn't have it on.             

Asphault

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2007, 08:46:10 PM »

Mike re-reading your earlier thread about the helmet, that's why a lot of PDs have gone from the half helmet to a 3/4. Too many of them just come off after the first impact. Rest up and get better.

Mark
Mark the helmet i was wearing has a zip in lower half. Unfortunately i did not have the lower zipped in. I often thought that the helmet would not stay on during a crash i was 8 staples worth of right. The helmet did stay on long enough to save my life and that was all that i could have hoped for.  I am sure that a 3/4 helmet would be the best choice in the future.      Thanks for the reply          Mike

Asphault

« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2007, 08:51:19 PM »

Man Asphault! Sucks but glad your mostly ok. Heal quick brother and good luck w/ your search for a replacement.
Thanks Screamin, Bikes can be replaced .  Be safe and enjoy this ridding season for me..                                       Mike

Asphault

« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2007, 09:18:12 PM »

Asphault - glad you are ok and glad you were wearing your helmet.

I have that same helmet - do not wear it much now since its a bit old.

Best of luck on finding a new bike and thanks much for posting the before/after pics.  You were luckier than some, man.
Iski, Everyone has to make their own choice to wear a helmet. I am a skilled rider. I have ridden bikes starting at the age of 13 (most of my life). I started on dirt bikes. dr100, yz250, cr500 then rode street bikes for many years. I felt comfortable in my ability to avoid an accident ( almost to the point of not wearing a helmet). I am 35 now and still alive because of the choice i made 3 days ago to wear my helmet. I hope you make the right choice. I have a good friend that called me after the crash. We ride together and he does not wear a helmet. He asked me on the phone; ( Did the helmet do you any good or is that what cut your head)? I told him that i believe that helmet saved my life. After seeing how much the helmet took for me there is no other choice for me.                                  Mike

Asphault

« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2007, 09:24:58 PM »

I wish you a speedy and full recovery.Despite sliding for about 400 feet you seem to be doing not that bad.Now thats a plus.I wonder what were you wearing while the accident took place.Sorry for your bike but still its replacable and you walked away from the accident. :drink:
Thanks Altugo,  I was lucky to have survived as well as i did. I am still finding sores that i didn't know i had. I was only wearing a helmet and a buffalo skin jacket, both of which saved me considerable pain and injury.  The only slidding i want to do from here on out involve a pool and a bathing suit.  Thanks for your reply    Mike

Asphault

« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2007, 09:35:46 PM »

Unfortunately that is typical for deer behavior. If the first of the herd makes it thru the rest will follow no matter what. I've seen herds of deer cross the Interstate like that. Once the first one guys the others will follow no matter what. I've learned if you see one deer cross the road then more then likely you will see more following unless he/she is the last one.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
You are exactly right Firedood. I'm sure the deer were just acting on instinct. I have often thought of hitting one but then the oll' it wont happen to me would kick in. I feel lucky to have another chance. The bike is disappointing but I would trade all of my materials for a longer life.  Thanks for your support.         Mike

Asphault

« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2007, 09:39:26 PM »

Living in the Woods of VA many accidents with deer and bikes- these things are very true with deer
1. They Never travel alone (if you see one others will follow)
2. Sounding Horns (Startle them and they will bound out at you)
3. Headlights make them freeze (when They see it) (that's called Spotlighting) Hunting term.
4. If the Deer where SPOOKED and running at full speed none of the above apply-I think that what happened in your case.

Deer will Run wildly During Rut Season, Or Hunting season (Most rural county's in VA allow Dog use Hunting for Deer)
A major pain in the fall around here as they will Run fast and hard. (Deer Whistles DO NOT work) or (Work as well as the little bell so folks tie on there bikes) It a Belief system.

Depending on how fast you where going if you had slowed for the first chances are the second or third would have knocked you down. SO as with most motorcycle accidents the rider will never see it coming.

You are very luck one of my friends is still in ICU and his accident was 4 weeks ago.

I'm sure you bike had loud pipes so a horn would have been a mute point-  :soapbox:

When I was a Boy in this area Dear were few and far between- (NO Stores) or that many people deer were hunted for food!! AS this place grew and more folks and stores moved in they have over bred everywhere and now that most must love them (Bambi) It gotten even worse - in my neck of the woods I kill'em cut the tenderloin out and throw the rest on a gut pile (year round) but alas I can't do it all.

I know you must be feeling better because you are typing along with us - Good Luck on your recovery.
Vazhog, Their was really nothing i could have done besides not riding in the dark. Keep killing them big VA deer.           Thanks again for your 2nd reply.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 22 queries.