Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Does your 110 loose power when hot???  (Read 2367 times)

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
Does your 110 loose power when hot???
« on: May 28, 2007, 02:09:34 PM »

Recently I've noticed that my 110 seems to have a loss of power after it gets hot.  By "gets hot" I mean after being on the road for a couple of hours, not running hot.  It isn't very noticeable at cruise speeds.  But when you start off in 1st gear it's VERY noticeable.  Bike isn't skipping, just seems to be low on power.  I first noticed this after the rear head gasket was replaced (oil leak).

Anyone else have this problem?

:nixweiss:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 02:11:20 PM by 07hd110 »

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: Does your 110 loose power when hot???
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 02:11:13 PM »

Recently I've noticed that my 110 seems to have a loss of power after it gets hot.  By "gets hot" I mean after being on the road for a couple of hours, not running hot.  It isn't very noticeable at cruise speeds.  But when you start off in 1st gear it's very noticeable.  Bike isn't skipping, just seems to be low on power.  I first noticed this after the rear head gasket was replaced (oil leak).

Anyone else have this problem?
Haven't noticed it on mine...sorry. :(
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 02:13:48 PM »

No noticeable change after I got mine back, and I've done a 1300mi trip and a 650 mi trip since.

Mark

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 02:27:16 PM »

No such problem here.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 05:41:59 PM »

Not noticed it Tommy.  But I'll tell you for sure that loaded two-up with that Bushtec this baby doesn't take off from a dead stop like I'd like it to.  Damn gearing is too tall in 1st for sure as far as I'm concerned.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Life is too short to drink out-of-date beer"
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 08:50:18 PM »

Now that you mention it, I did notice something similar to what your experiencing two days ago after about 50 miles in the heat of the day.  I also noticed when I pulled off to a stop light that the engine vibrated extremely rough...suspect that it was so hot it kicked the cylinder out immediately.  If that is what they mean by you wont notice that aft cylinder kicked off thier full of #&*!
Unapologetically American!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 10:59:47 PM »

Now that you mention it, I did notice something similar to what your experiencing two days ago after about 50 miles in the heat of the day.  I also noticed when I pulled off to a stop light that the engine vibrated extremely rough...suspect that it was so hot it kicked the cylinder out immediately.  If that is what they mean by you wont notice that aft cylinder kicked off thier full of #&*!
That would only happen if you've had dealer enable EITMS - engine idle temperature management system.  That is what kicks out the rear cyl at idle when too hot.  Thinking of having this done to mine so courious if yours has been enabled.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 07:25:23 PM »

Not noticed it Tommy.  But I'll tell you for sure that loaded two-up with that Bushtec this baby doesn't take off from a dead stop like I'd like it to.  Damn gearing is too tall in 1st for sure as far as I'm concerned.

I agree totally. When hot from city riding, it's a dog off of the line. Hold 2,000 to prevent pinging and feather the clutch to get her going. I only have the problem when getting stuck in traffic. It's not a parade bike, that's for sure.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 02:30:28 PM »

That would only happen if you've had dealer enable EITMS - engine idle temperature management system.  That is what kicks out the rear cyl at idle when too hot.  Thinking of having this done to mine so courious if yours has been enabled.

Jerry, to my knowledge the EITMS isn't enabled.  If that were the problem it seems like the bike would feel like it's skipping.  It doesn't skip, just no power.  The description that Chief gave in the previous post is dead on!

I hate to admit it, but it's starting to look like the 110 motor just doesn't compare to the 103.  Just goes to show ya bigger isn't always better!  (talking about motors!)

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 02:44:20 PM »

Jerry, to my knowledge the EITMS isn't enabled.  If that were the problem it seems like the bike would feel like it's skipping.  It doesn't skip, just no power.  The description that Chief gave in the previous post is dead on!

I hate to admit it, but it's starting to look like the 110 motor just doesn't compare to the 103.  Just goes to show ya bigger isn't always better!  (talking about motors!)

If you look at the specs for the transmissions for '06 and '07, there is quite a difference.
Gear:  2006 / 2007 Ratios
First:   10.11 / 9.312
Second: 6.958 / 6.421
Third: 4.953 / 4.774
Fourth: 3.862 / 3.926
Fifth: 3.150 / 3.279
Sixth: ---- / 2.79

First through third are taller on the '07's but fourth and fifth are shorter. The biggest difference is definitely the super tall first. Once you get rolling it's great, but loaded to the gills and hot turns it into a real dog.

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 09:57:54 AM »

I would take it back to the dealer and ask them to hook it up in front of you.  Sounds to me as if they enabled EITMS for ya figuring that maybe they were doing you a favor since you did have rear cylider gasket work done...they probably figured by enabling it, they would save the gasket thing from happening again? 

If you didn't notice this before the repair...simply replacing the gasket should have no effect on how it performs now.  Unless they didn't get the intake on properly and it's sucking air at the intake?
Either way...I'd take it back and let them know that something doesn't feel right.  Let them know you are aware of the EITMS feature and you'd like them to make sure it's not on. 

You won't feel the "skipping" as you mentioned.  It's simply not creating spark every other crank so it's blowing fuel out the exhaust ports and trying to cool the cylinder/heads.  You'll feel loss in power though with retarding the spark. 

Let us know what you find out.  Later, J
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

kenws40

• CVO1: 07 ultra classic SE
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 10:32:04 AM »

My 07 gets hot looses power the oil temp rises and the oil pressure drops. it has done it twice in the last two weeks. took it to a local shop and they replaced the oil sending unit, that did not help the problem. trying another dealer to see what they can find is the problem. It only does it after you ride for about 30-40 miles. I have about 10k on my bike.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 10:35:57 AM »

Could be an indication of marginal piston wall clearance brought on by shifting flywheels! I'd have the runout checked to be sure your crank's OK Tommy. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 10:40:25 AM »

Mine definitely lugs a little harder from a stop after a good heat up ride.  I attributed it to a lower idle speed after warming up.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 10:41:48 AM »

I had that problem with my 110 untill I took off my lowers. The motor ran allot stronger with more added airflow. Since I have had it re-built from the dreaded rear cylinder leak she is running so much stronger and when I added the HB intake she just runs more awesome. That is in outside air temps of 106 here in AZ. Hopefully she will continue to run strong. 8) 8) 8) 8)
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 10:48:54 AM »

Could be an indication of marginal piston wall clearance brought on by shifting flywheels! I'd have the runout checked to be sure your crank's OK Tommy. ;)

Hoist! 8)
Tommy's original post was over a year ago (May 28, 2007, 02:09:34 PM). Not sure what he found out to be the problem. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 10:52:12 AM »

Tommy's original post was over a year ago (May 28, 2007, 02:09:34 PM). Not sure what he found out to be the problem. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Oops! :-[

Well I guess it's OK. He's still riding it! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 10:52:55 AM »

Good Point I didn't realize it was last year. Hopefully he has that problem fixed now.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.