CVO Technical > Drive Train

GP Bearing support

(1/2) > >>

d-rock:
I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.  I had a seepage where the primary meets the cases so as it is under warranty my dealer went in to see if it was the o ring and it was(good news). But my outer bearing support from GP was broken(bad news). The break was on the back plate that mounts to the inner primary. Lucky for me it was a clean break no chunks of aluminum missing from break point. GP is sending the new version free of charge but it will be a week or so with no bike. Am I the only lucky one or has anyone seen this before?

hd-dude:
There was another member that reported a broken brace ( I think it was GMR Performance). That is the only other brace that I have heard of. I would be sure to have the dealer check your crank runout before installing the replacement. If it is excessive its time for a new bottom end anyway and you should have the timkin bearing conversion done.

Twolanerider:
Two of these things have broken in use? That's a little unsettling.  Something that is supposed to be strong enough to stabilize the crank and support the forces generated by the rotating assembly should not break when subjected to its own operating environment.

I'm glad my own (seems to be) working ok.  But between this and those that had vibration issues one has to wonder if it's a good idea that was perhaps not quite ready for prime time.  It looks like such a beautifully machined part one hates to doubt its effectiveness.  But.... broken.  Damn....

d-rock:
HD-Dude
My dealer said the crank is fine(within spec) also already did the timken conversion this part was for added support for my piece of mind. Now I don't know what to think.

hd-dude:

--- Quote from: droc on May 29, 2007, 03:26:23 PM ---HD-Dude
My dealer said the crank is fine(within spec) also already did the timken conversion this part was for added support for my piece of mind. Now I don't know what to think.

--- End quote ---

Do you have pics of the break? In my opinion it is not needed with the timkin conversion. Having installed several of these I really find it strange that they could break. I wonder if it was not aligned properly when installed?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version