Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Barber Motorsports Museum  (Read 3446 times)

REGGAB

Barber Motorsports Museum
« on: June 01, 2007, 12:05:44 AM »

On 19 MAY 2007, Renea and I were able to have Grandparents look after Stef, so we could have a day to ourselves.  We decided to go to the Barber Motorsports Museum.  What a great place.  Almost as good as Wheels Through Time.  Thought I'd share a few pictures of that visit.  Here is a picture of Renea next to my favorite Pan.

REGGAB

Re: Barber Motorsports Museum
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 12:07:52 AM »

Here is an old JD set up as a biscuit delivery vehicle.  This display is right behind a replica of the original Harley-Davidson factory.

REGGAB

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 12:10:48 AM »

This is a 1981 FLH Heritage Edition........the very year I graduated from high school.  Note the post seat.  The color combination was orange and olive drab AKA "peas & carrots."

REGGAB

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 12:12:48 AM »

I really like Toppers.  Wish I could find one in any condition.

REGGAB

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 12:17:10 AM »

I'd love to read the Operational Requirements Document for this fine acquisition.  The data plate on it has a mix of MIL STD listed items, yet it doesn't refer to an approved Army technical manual.  Rather it refers to an OEM technical manual, which shows how young the acquisition was at the time.  Most likely a Low Rate Initial Production article.

REGGAB

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 12:20:36 AM »

Last one.  The literature with this display says that since the military services have mandated the use of diesel as a common fuel, this vehicle is no longer used.  Well, the Army uses JP8 in it's wheeled vehicles, and I wouldn't be surprised if this machine is still in use despite its MOGAS requirement.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 02:10:12 AM »

This is a 1981 FLH Heritage Edition........the very year I graduated from high school.  Note the post seat.  The color combination was orange and olive drab AKA "peas & carrots."

YOU FORGOT THE HAM CAN AIR CLEANER HENRY.  ;D
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 02:56:52 AM »

thanks for the pics :huepfenjump3:

REGGAB

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 08:52:09 AM »

YOU FORGOT THE HAM CAN AIR CLEANER HENRY.  ;D
Darn it.  Knew I forgot something.  Got a complete meal in one bike.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 03:43:07 PM »

On 19 MAY 2007, Renea and I were able to have Grandparents look after Stef, so we could have a day to ourselves.  We decided to go to the Barber Motorsports Museum.  What a great place.  Almost as good as Wheels Through Time.  Thought I'd share a few pictures of that visit.  Here is a picture of Renea next to my favorite Pan.

Old stuff; how did you know! Nice looking ’65 Pan, thanks for sharing. There are a few non-standard items on the machine including the seat. The diamond pattern was only used in 1976; the black ones were standard on the Liberty Edition FLH.

The ’81 Heritage reminds me that ’81 was the first year for the push-pull throttle. The reversed side-car on the limey biscuit rig brings to mind the reversed hand controls on some of the old Indian motorcycles.

djkak

REGGAB

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 04:06:29 PM »

thanks for the pics :huepfenjump3:

You're quite welcome.  We don't live far from there, so we'll let some time pass, so they can rotate some stock.  Then we'll go back and get some more pictures to share.

REGGAB

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 04:09:53 PM »

Old stuff; how did you know! Nice looking ’65 Pan, thanks for sharing. There are a few non-standard items on the machine including the seat. The diamond pattern was only used in 1976; the black ones were standard on the Liberty Edition FLH.

The ’81 Heritage reminds me that ’81 was the first year for the push-pull throttle. The reversed side-car on the limey biscuit rig brings to mind the reversed hand controls on some of the old Indian motorcycles.

djkak

dj, Brother I'd love to pick your brain.  I know you told me before that your knowledge is dated, but that is exactly the kind of knowledge I love.  Motorcycle history fascinates me.  Thanks so much for your input.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 10:50:08 PM »

One of the beauties about Barber is the change the art OFTEN given their ownership of bikes.  You would be hard pressed to view 35% of their bikes on each visit.

Visit often...And Enjoy!

REGGAB

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 11:06:25 PM »

One of the beauties about Barber is the change the art OFTEN given their ownership of bikes.  You would be hard pressed to view 35% of their bikes on each visit.

Visit often...And Enjoy!

Exactly!  That's the intent.  I really like that place.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 09:08:05 PM »

dj, Brother I'd love to pick your brain.  I know you told me before that your knowledge is dated, but that is exactly the kind of knowledge I love.  Motorcycle history fascinates me.  Thanks so much for your input.

You are welcome to pick away Bagger; the info on the Buddy Seat diamond pattern along with $4 still buys a fine cup of genuine Starbucks coffee! :)

djkak

REGGAB

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 01:18:53 PM »

You are welcome to pick away Bagger; the info on the Buddy Seat diamond pattern along with $4 still buys a fine cup of genuine Starbucks coffee! :)

djkak

I'll ask questions as they occur to me, and I do appreciate your knowledge and availability.  I'm partial to Krispy Kreme coffee since for a mere .49 more, I also get three traditional cake doughnuts.   :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 02:30:32 PM »

I'm of the mind to make next years AMA Superbike races a mini CVO GTG.  The "meat" of the racing does not happen until the afternoon, so this would give time to tour the museum prior to the races getting started.  A few of us were here for it this past April and we had a great time.  If we could tack a couple of days extra on, there are a couple of good rides everyone could do into the North Alabama area Thursday/Friday prior to the races.

If anyone thinks this is a good idea, I'll scout out some motels near to good places to eat and drink, and with safe parking so nobody would have to ride very far at night to get a good meal.  Also a HUGE HD dealer in this area...most of the members who came down and stayed in this area liked the location and the places we picked for nightime activities...at least I think they did.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

REGGAB

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 02:38:04 PM »

I'm of the mind to make next years AMA Superbike races a mini CVO GTG.  The "meat" of the racing does not happen until the afternoon, so this would give time to tour the museum prior to the races getting started.  A few of us were here for it this past April and we had a great time.  If we could tack a couple of days extra on, there are a couple of good rides everyone could do into the North Alabama area Thursday/Friday prior to the races.

If anyone thinks this is a good idea, I'll scout out some motels near to good places to eat and drink, and with safe parking so nobody would have to ride very far at night to get a good meal.  Also a HUGE HD dealer in this area...most of the members who came down and stayed in this area liked the location and the places we picked for nightime activities...at least I think they did.

Sounds like a very good idea, Terry.  Please let me know if I can help setting this up in any way.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 03:10:11 PM »

quote author=TCnBham link=topic=13987.msg222286#msg222286 date=1181154632]

This one did!  Terry, thanks again for all your help this past April!  If we do set something up for next year, I'm in! 

Usually when I ride thru Alabama it's on an interstate.  I was really surprised by the great riding in the Birmingham area!
 :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 03:18:22 PM by 07hd110 »

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 03:28:55 PM »

quote author=TCnBham link=topic=13987.msg222286#msg222286 date=1181154632]

This one did!  Terry, thanks again for all your help this past April!  If we do set something in for next year, I'm in! 

Usually when I ride thru Alabama it's on an interstate.  I was really surprised by the great riding in the Birmingham area!
 :2vrolijk_21:

Tommy...glad you guys had a good time!!  The month of June and the first week of July is going to be a zoo for me, but when the dust settles after that I'll check and see the time frame for next year's event and put it out there with a couple of suggestions for places to stay.  If we have one or two full days before or after the races, there are a couple of 150-250 mile rides in the Northwestern part of the state that are really nice.  Also one or two shorter ones South of here a bit.  Most people pass through B'ham on the way to somewhere else, so never get to really see what it's like around here...it's really a nice medium sized city surrounded by some very nice country.  There's plenty of riding for those who don't want to do the race thing.

TTS Mastertune

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 04:46:27 PM »

Terry,

That sounds like a great idea.  We really enjoyed our visit, it just wasn't long enough!  :drink:

Bob
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 05:16:26 PM »

Terry
Helen and I have already confirmed on doing this next year. Count us in. :2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 07:30:41 PM »

I'm in, too! :2vrolijk_21:  I'd pass on the parade lap (too friggin' slow of a pace) and the paddock pass (not enough time in the day to do everything) next time, but the racing and the museum were awesome.  That breakfast spread at 29 Dreams and the Mexican food and drink were FIRST RATE, too!

Excuse me while I go tell JR to book our room at the Holiday Inn Express right now! :huepfenjump3: :bananarock: :drink:

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2007, 09:13:20 PM »

I'm in, too! :2vrolijk_21:  I'd pass on the parade lap (too friggin' slow of a pace) and the paddock pass (not enough time in the day to do everything) next time, but the racing and the museum were awesome.  That breakfast spread at 29 Dreams and the Mexican food and drink were FIRST RATE, too!

Excuse me while I go tell JR to book our room at the Holiday Inn Express right now! :huepfenjump3: :bananarock: :drink:

I'm ready buddy! :2vrolijk_21: Only this time we need to get a party room like Tommy had!!! :huepfenlol2: :drink: :huepfenjump3: :bananarock: :huepfenlol2:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2007, 09:15:07 PM »

Any idea what the dates are, or how soon they will be announced?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2007, 09:19:34 PM »

Are the dates posted yet, Brian?  I haven't even looked.  I think it would be a fun time for everyone.  I'll pass on the parade thing too.  I'd just as soon find a good spot right out of the one of the turns going onto a straight, and plop my a$$ down.

TTS Mastertune

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2007, 09:31:45 PM »

I just checked http://www.AMASuperbike.com and it appears not.  We'll have to keep our eyes peeled, though.  I'm sure I'll be chompin' at the bit to get out on the scoot come next spring, just like I was this year.  And, I'll be about  75 miles closer to you this time around.  It's a no-brainer to head back down there.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2007, 09:41:11 PM »

I just checked http://www.AMASuperbike.com and it appears not.  We'll have to keep our eyes peeled, though.  I'm sure I'll be chompin' at the bit to get out on the scoot come next spring, just like I was this year.  And, I'll be about  75 miles closer to you this time around.  It's a no-brainer to head back down there.

It is always the third weekend in April, so if I were a betting man, I'd say the weekend of April 19, 2008.  I'll check around in the next few weeks and see if I can firm up some proposed dates. :bananarock:

TTS Mastertune

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2007, 09:43:21 PM »

It is always the third weekend in April, so if I were a betting man, I'd say the weekend of April 19, 2008.  I'll check around in the next few weeks and see if I can firm up some proposed dates. :bananarock:

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!  :2vrolijk_21:

REGGAB

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2007, 12:34:24 AM »

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!  :2vrolijk_21:

Are you going to be there again next year, Brian?  If so, I'll be sure to make it down there.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2007, 04:28:06 PM »

This will turn into a big wing ding, wait and see. ;D I'm booked. :2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

charlie

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2007, 07:00:10 PM »

If you don't mind some one new to the group my wife and I would be intrested, where in Atlanta.I've been to Barber I thought it was great.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2007, 07:16:22 PM »

If you don't mind some one new to the group my wife and I would be intrested, where in Atlanta.I've been to Barber I thought it was great.

Charlie
I think the event there is in April that everyone went to this year.  The AMA superbike event. Next year I will be attending for the first time.

Dave
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2007, 10:19:42 PM »

You're quite welcome.  We don't live far from there, so we'll let some time pass, so they can rotate some stock.  Then we'll go back and get some more pictures to share.

That's the beauty of this place...
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 21 queries.