Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drive Belt noise--UCSE  (Read 1876 times)

Fiestabill

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • DE

Drive Belt noise--UCSE
« on: June 26, 2007, 11:05:46 PM »

Has anyone experienced a noise in the drive belt at low speeds. Seems to be coming from the rear pulley. Adjustment seems correct.

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
  • Life's short! Get busy living or get busy dying!
Re: Drive Belt noise--UCSE
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 11:56:47 PM »

I've questioned that on mine. I didn't have the noise (whirring sound) until I had my tires replaced a few weeks ago. I hear it at low speeds when decelerating. If I accelerate it stops immediately. It's not affected by braking. I'm not sure if it's coming from the belt but thats what I suspect.

Bret
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

Fiestabill

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • DE

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 07:54:39 AM »

Yes, that is the same sound I have. Almost seems like the pulley is not running true. Going to connect a dial indicator to the pulley and check for run out.

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 08:45:19 AM »

I have my 10K service tomorrow. I'm going to ask them to check it. Another thought I've had is to check the motor mount. With the issue happening on decel and clearing up on accel I've wondered if the slight change of motor position could cause it. I'll have them look at that too. As for alignment troubleshooting I have the manuals but since I haven't done these before I'm not sure I would trust my findings.
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

Fiestabill

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • DE

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 11:24:28 AM »

I also have just over 10,000 miles but, have performed my own maintenance up to this point. The bike has had no reason to go back to the dealer up to this point but, I was thinking about taking it in for the sound of the belt. It will be good to see what the dealer has to say about this sound. If I find anything in the meantime I will post. Thanks for sharing your info.
Bill

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 01:21:38 PM »

Yes, that is the same sound I have. Almost seems like the pulley is not running true. Going to connect a dial indicator to the pulley and check for run out.

The pulley on my 07 SERK was changed at 300 miles for being out of true.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 01:41:33 PM »

I have to run mine at the loose side of the spec or it makes the whirring noise. 22,000 miles and no belt problem yet.

WI George

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 04:07:16 PM »

Funny that this subject would come up as I had my 10,000 mile checkup done recently (I actually had 11,000 miles on it) and right after that I noticed this belt sound when riding slowly. So far I have not had the opportunity to have HD look at it but I'm sure it needs adjustment (sounds like it is a tad too tight).

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 05:52:38 PM »

Thats one of the reasons this site is so great. It's really easy to get an idea if the problem you're having is a one off issue or if we should all be expecting it. Everyone know what to keep an eye out for.
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 12:10:36 PM »

I got the bike back from the 10K service a couple of hours ago. The found a broken front motor mount. They replaced it and redid the belt tension. I don't know if the noise is fixed yet but will know after the weekend.

Luck is with me today. Riding home I was behind a white F350. I changed lanes because I couldn't see around it and stopped at a light probably two cars up from the truck. A car rear-ended the truck at the light. Wow! If you don't see a white F350 then you probably wouldn't have seen a motorcycle.
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 01:20:47 PM »

Luck is with me today. Riding home I was behind a white F350. I changed lanes because I couldn't see around it and stopped at a light probably two cars up from the truck. A car rear-ended the truck at the light. Wow! If you don't see a white F350 then you probably wouldn't have seen a motorcycle.

My F150 was rear-ended that way last year.  Didn't do much to me - he hit my hitch, but the guy creamed the front-end of his car. 

Congrats on a close escape! 

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

charlie

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 08:22:07 PM »

has any one had a dragging sound from the front break when going slow, front break not being used.

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 11:27:47 PM »

I believe that your noise as described is nothing more than the typical HD brake pad symphony, provided at no cost to you by the MoCo. ;D

Fiestabill

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • DE

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 08:35:39 PM »

most of the time time by lightly tapping the brake pedal or slight squeeze on the front brake lever will stop the noise.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 09:53:32 PM »

I have had that problem on one of my previous Ultra Classics.  Every time the belt got very dusty, it would start making that noise......wash the bike it would go away.  Wasn't sure what to do about it except keep the bike clean. 

I've never heard that noise on this bike and I have been on a few dirt roads or road construction roads a few times. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.