Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: New 2008 CVO early release to the Press  (Read 19511 times)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: New 2008 CVO early release to the Press
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 09:03:47 AM »

Oh you gotta just love this stuff.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

REGGAB

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 09:07:44 AM »

Oh you gotta just love this stuff.

Amen to that Magoo!  Can't wait to see what they dreamt up for next year.  Of course, I'll just be a lookin'.  No more new bikes for me.

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 10:02:50 AM »

I have it on very good authority that the Road Glides were scrapped. Probably next year. I wish it werent true and I think its a mistake. But, what can you do?  :(
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

REGGAB

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 10:15:43 AM »

I have it on very good authority that the Road Glides were scrapped. Probably next year. I wish it werent true and I think its a mistake. But, what can you do?  :(

I heard that same thing, also on very good authority.  That's too bad.  Still, those 3 tone red SERGs from 2000 are my favorite.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 11:50:12 AM »

What "authority" so says?

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2007, 12:23:40 PM »

What "authority" so says?

Exactly my point on my earlier response ;)

It seems like there are a chit load of "authorities" all over the country ;D
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2007, 12:29:45 PM »

That members of the trade press see them some weeks before the rest of the world has always been a given.  No other way to have product stories ready to release on or shortly after the time the bikes are released to the public.

As rabid is most automotive press is for a scoop and early release photos I've always been a bit amused by what Harley has seemed to have been able to enforce here with its new models.  Some hand picked members of the Fourth Estate see them.  But nobody ever leaks them.  That speaks to either crippling penalties pre-agreed to if anything leaks or an even more total control over its industry, writ large, than any other automaker has ever been able to manage (or both).

TwoLane,

I am in the automotive industry, and we have what we call long and short lead programs for the press (mostly automotive buff magazine, but other types of media are also invited).  The intent is to allow the writes an inside look into all aspects of a new model.  They sit down and talk with engineers, marketing folks and product planning folks.  They then usually drive the new model, along with other competitive makes and are allowed to photograph the vehicles.  These events are sometimes held in private grounds, or very elaborate picturesque setting to entice all to come.  They area usually a nice trip for the writers.

Obiously there is an element of trust to those invited, along with signed documents indicating they will not release ANYTHING until the agreed upon date the mfg. sets, commonly referred to as Embargo Dates

Breaking this "code of silence" is certain death ;) from all other invites in the future, and I would guess, word would spread to the other mfgs. as well.  In my experience, we have never had a publication break an embargo date, but I'm sure it has been done somewhere.  I'm sure the MoCo operates under the same rules, with perhaps even more regard given to privacy.

Here endith the lesson....
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2007, 12:29:48 PM »

Exactly my point on my earlier response ;)

It seems like there are a chit load of "authorities" all over the country ;D

CB, that's just part of the annual change of seasons here.  No big deal really.  Though it deservedly gets picked on or teased a little as there are always so many who "know someone." 

Of course when enough guesses and rumors are thrown against the wall eventually a bit here and a piece there will be partially accurate.  Just a matter of educated guesses against moderately limited options.  But in several years of such good natured guesses no one has actually ever nailed the product line; or even close.

It's all in fun.  Some no doubt feel they really are helping by sharing what someone at a dealership or, perhaps, even at a plant has told them.  Harley is so good at keeping this stuf under wraps though that, well, I'm still betting on the 08 SE Servicar.  On good authority (the voices in my head).

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2007, 12:35:37 PM »

TwoLane,

I am in the automotive industry, and we have what we call long and short lead programs for the press (mostly automotive buff magazine, but other types of media are also invited).  The intent is to allow the writes an inside look into all aspects of a new model.  They sit down and talk with engineers, marketing folks and product planning folks.  They then usually drive the new model, along with other competitive makes and are allowed to photograph the vehicles.  These events are sometimes held in private grounds, or very elaborate picturesque setting to entice all to come.  They area usually a nice trip for the writers.

Obiously there is an element of trust to those invited, along with signed documents indicating they will not release ANYTHING until the agreed upon date the mfg. sets, commonly referred to as Embargo Dates

Breaking this "code of silence" is certain death ;) from all other invites in the future, and I would guess, word would spread to the other mfgs. as well.  In my experience, we have never had a publication break an embargo date, but I'm sure it has been done somewhere.  I'm sure the MoCo operates under the same rules, with perhaps even more regard given to privacy.

Here endith the lesson....

Thanks CB, never been in/around automotive from the industry side.  But from what some journalist friends had shared had assumed the process was much like you described.

I've always quite enjoyed the Chinese Wall that some of the automotive trade press works behind too.  On one side is the correct and proprietess professional understanding between press and company.  And all is always on the up and up.

On the other side, however, are the pirates with long lenses.  Trying to capture anythng they can outside the bounds of any such agreement.  What the makers leak or allow separately is just on them.  What has always surprised me about Harley is how seemingly immune they've always been to that kind of activity. 

There are the early photos of nearly all major new automotive platforms that someone has captured.  On the roads.  From a long way away with a long lense on a proving ground.  Or wherever.  But you just never see that stuff from Harley.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2007, 03:48:30 PM »

There are the early photos of nearly all major new automotive platforms that someone has captured.  On the roads.  From a long way away with a long lense on a proving ground.  Or wherever.  But you just never see that stuff from Harley.
Well, that's because they just don't bother with the 'testing' pre-delivery.  har!  :orange: :huepfenlol2: :bananarock: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2007, 03:53:02 PM »

Well, that's because they just don't bother with the 'testing' pre-delivery.  har!  :orange: :huepfenlol2: :bananarock: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: spyder

Warped minds think alike my friend  :drink: .

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2007, 04:10:20 PM »

Look at this way too folks,
How dramatic of a change in body style does Harley make? Maybe the Vrod was easy to spot on the road in a development stage so it was kept under wraps in some testing facility etc. But other than paint or leather Tour Paks and some new line of chrome etc. What would the general riding public notice about a 6 speed or going from an 88 to 96ci motor if it wasn't badged?
I know the eagle eyes of folks on this site would notice small subtle changes but the test riders could probably ride the new bikes with black monotone paint and no labeling and pass for a current model bike to most riders.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2007, 05:47:33 PM »

......... I'm still betting on the 08 SE Servicar.  On good authority (the voices in my head).

Whats a Servicar??

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2007, 05:58:44 PM »

Harley should have an option list of what we want on our bikes from factory somewhat like we do when we order cars. Just an idea :-*

Color
Seats
Bars
list goes on and on

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2007, 06:03:15 PM »

Harley should have an option list of what we want on our bikes from factory somewhat like we do when we order cars. Just an idea :-*

Color
Seats
Bars
list goes on and on
Why would they want to do that, it means they would lose out in the after-market. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.