Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Does any one have advice for Shaking mirrors?  (Read 18632 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Does any one have advice for Shaking mirrors?
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2007, 12:59:47 PM »

Hi Andrea,  I am a new member so it looks like this reply is a bit late.  I had the same problem with the shaking mirrors.  I received no help from my dealer and no help from Harley.  There comment to my letter was, "We are not in the business of helping owners customize their ride.  I fixed my problem with the low cost mirror, not the expensive buckshot type.  My mirrors are a solid beam, forged so it is flattened with a curved depression through the length of the beam and the mirror is tear drop shape similar to the original.  Part number 91315-04 Kit, Mirror, Skull and cost $99.95.  They work great.

I wonder how HD would respond to a return letter asking them if they are in the business of providing useless mirrors which potentially might cause the owner/operator of their flagship bike to have an accident because he/she cannot see what's behind them?

I have heard of others getting the mirrors of their choice, authorized by the MOCO, or eaten by their dealer.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2007, 11:33:33 AM »

HDbeerman nailed it. Exhaust changes reduce the vibration considerably. Anyone with this issue should consider aftermarket exhaust before spending money on mirrors. Plus it just sounds so much better...
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

sjhallmn

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE
    • CVO2: '08 Screamin Eagle Road King
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2007, 06:13:43 PM »

First post to the board but have been reading it for several months.  Called MOCO and after 45 minutes on hold finally talked to someone.  Said I had to go to dealer to make sure it wasn't an engine problem.  Went to two dealers and they said the engine vibration was normal but that they had heard the problems with the mirrors.  Dealer called in the problem to the CVO Dyna expert and got approval for new mirrors.  Put the '08 mirrors (with filled in slot) on and the problem was gone.  Bottom line - the slotted mirrors they put on in '07 act as a tuning fork and vibrate so badly that you can't see a thing but when replaced with the same mirror from '08 the problem is gone.  It definately is a safety issue that is easily fixed with the proper mirror.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2007, 06:16:55 PM »

First post to the board but have been reading it for several months.  Called MOCO and after 45 minutes on hold finally talked to someone.  Said I had to go to dealer to make sure it wasn't an engine problem.  Went to two dealers and they said the engine vibration was normal but that they had heard the problems with the mirrors.  Dealer called in the problem to the CVO Dyna expert and got approval for new mirrors.  Put the '08 mirrors (with filled in slot) on and the problem was gone.  Bottom line - the slotted mirrors they put on in '07 act as a tuning fork and vibrate so badly that you can't see a thing but when replaced with the same mirror from '08 the problem is gone.  It definately is a safety issue that is easily fixed with the proper mirror.
Hey SJ.......great 1st post!  Glad you got it fixed w/o costing you anymore than aggrevation.  Hopefully your post will help others in the same regard.  :2vrolijk_21: har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

soulfly

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King Anniversary FLHRSE5 #165
    • CVO2: (2007 CVO Dyna Twilight Blue Ice Blue Pearl/Granite)
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2008, 12:36:41 PM »

I had the same problem with my 07 FXDSE.  I liked the style of the mirros so much, I dealt with it.  Then I was @ harley dropping off my bike for the winter and I saw the 08.  It had the same style mirrors with a solid stem.  I then proceeded to file my complaint with the dealership.  I really received good feedback from the last discussion we had on this, so I went for the warranty vs. buying new ones.  I squeezed $ out of MoCo.  I do not know the outcome yet....but spring is coming!!

I did see a very unique way off dealing with it (red 07 that was 4 sale on ebay).  The person drilled holes in the center of the stem & put a bolt & nut there to control the vib.  Not a bad idea, but I did not like it. (Unless the bolt was attached to a cup holder!!)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 12:39:10 PM by soulfly »
THE MORE SERIOUSLY I TOOK THINGS, THE HARDER THE RULES BECAME.

Andrea O

« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2008, 01:16:41 PM »

Soulfly

Funny I saw that listing the other day and noticed the bolts too.  I wonder how many people have traded in their bikes thinking they could not drive it becouse of the mirriors.  I have the bullet mirrors they work well.  However I think I am going to switch to the 08 fxdse2 mirriors soon.

I also missed out on the $50 windshield that was listed

Andrea

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2008, 02:32:24 PM »

Anyone still having vibration issues after tuning and exhaust? Mine really is alot better with these mods in place. I still have the stock mirrors and do not have a problem with visibility. Perhaps it is just that my head is vibrating at the same rate as the mirrors, but I doubt it...
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

magnum

• CVO1: cvo
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2008, 07:33:42 PM »

shakn mirrors; if ya have an H-D they all have some vibs but i chose to change out mirrors and add a rubber spacer on handle bar mount .took almost all shakn away
magnum done it

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2008, 06:14:51 AM »

A shaky bike!! ;) ;D

dhudson

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2008, 11:00:56 PM »

Just wanted to thank Andrea for starting this post.  My mirrors were also shakin' real bad, so when I dropped my bike at the dealer for the 1000k check I mentioned the mirrors and the dealer called HD tech and they authorized them to put the solid stem FXDSE 08' mirrors on mine,so that shows they no they have a problem with the 07' mirrors.  Pretty cool they are standing behind this problem.  Thanks for everyones input on this one.
07' FXDSE
D&D FAT CAT
Diamond Cut Heads
Woods Cams
Heads By Steve at Chesapeake Harley
122hp 125tq

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »

Just wanted to thank Andrea for starting this post.  My mirrors were also shakin' real bad, so when I dropped my bike at the dealer for the 1000k check I mentioned the mirrors and the dealer called HD tech and they authorized them to put the solid stem FXDSE 08' mirrors on mine,so that shows they no they have a problem with the 07' mirrors.  Pretty cool they are standing behind this problem.  Thanks for everyones input on this one.
good deal~  and sometimes they do the right thing ~  har!  :) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

dhudson

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »

Just wanted to see if I could attach a picture of my bike. This pic was taken with the original mirrors.  Dave
07' FXDSE
D&D FAT CAT
Diamond Cut Heads
Woods Cams
Heads By Steve at Chesapeake Harley
122hp 125tq

maddawg46

• I have Rice Rockets too
  • Horsepower sells cars; Torque wins races
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2008, 02:18:53 PM »

My '07 did the same.  The problem is the hollowed out stem design.  It acts as a tuning fork and amplifies the vibration.  Harley knows about the problem.  They Will replace the mirrors free of charge with ones of your choice at the dealer.  Tell the service manager at the shop to call Harley and they will give him the OK.  I picked the "fish tail" ones, since they are similar to the ones that were stock.  A miracle!!  Clear as a bell at all RPMs.
2007 FXDSE Blue
2005 Yamaha FJR
1997 Suzuki Bandit
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.