Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Wifes new scoot  (Read 5066 times)

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

Wifes new scoot
« on: June 13, 2007, 11:49:52 AM »

hope this is the right area to post this in. Building a little half breed for my wife. Frame is a one off custom rigid with a evo engine , buell front forks and wheels along with the buell rear running gear. Mainly built from parts left over from other builds. Frame and trans where the only items that had to be bought the rest is left over or hand built.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

Re: Wifes new scoot
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 11:50:48 AM »

another picture

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 12:59:11 PM »

hope this is the right area to post this in. Building a little half breed for my wife. Frame is a one off custom rigid with a evo engine , buell front forks and wheels along with the buell rear running gear. Mainly built from parts left over from other builds. Frame and trans where the only items that had to be bought the rest is left over or hand built.

Nice beginning, Steve.  Look forward to seeing more of the progress, and the finished product!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 01:03:50 PM »

From yesterday to today. Coming along very nicely.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 01:05:42 PM »

impoosible to tell form what has been done what your vision for the completed project is, tank looks a bit small but i'm sure it will fit the overall look when completed
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 01:13:54 PM »

We are going to powder coat the frame in a copper with black speckle hammer tone, with the tank and rear fender painted in "hot rod black" then I will have my buddy micky do the old school pin stripping on it. We are going to use a copper braid over all the lines and wiring, along with a brass water style cap for the fuel. The screw on style used for semi's?? Not sure if you have seen that but it will look that way. The handle bars are still up in the air they are just for moving the bike at this point. Headers will be hand made once we get to that point. Tank is a 3.5 gallon so range will be limited but really I think I am more limited than amount of fuel even with the great roads we have the bike will beat you up.  We have 3 days in this so far and it is moving right along. I have to finish boring the cylinders for the new JE pistons and then I will complete the top end on the little evo. This evo should put out 90hp as I have built many using these same parts before. Weight wise the will be in the 390-425 lb range so that little engine will spool it up very fast and the 6th gear will be nice to cruise.  We are working on the seat pan now as he is out there with the planishing hammer making a TON of noise.  We are not really trying to have a certain look just using items we have and we will see how it looks once we get there if we dont like it toss it and make something else.Oil bag will be mounted on the left side verticle with some hand twisted steel. We plan on painting the oil tank to look like a old oil can. Not sure what brand yet but time will tell.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 01:16:19 PM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 01:15:23 PM »

Cool.

Keep posting pics - bet your wife is gonna love it.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 01:18:03 PM »

Nice, I'd like to build a hardtail bar hopper someday, got to get my RK where I want it first!! Send more pic's as you go.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 03:42:46 PM »

Thanks for the pictures, keep them posting as she progresses.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 05:21:58 PM »

We are going to powder coat the frame in a copper with black speckle hammer tone, with the tank and rear fender painted in "hot rod black" then I will have my buddy micky do the old school pin stripping on it. We are going to use a copper braid over all the lines and wiring, along with a brass water style cap for the fuel. The screw on style used for semi's?? Not sure if you have seen that but it will look that way. The handle bars are still up in the air they are just for moving the bike at this point. Headers will be hand made once we get to that point. Tank is a 3.5 gallon so range will be limited but really I think I am more limited than amount of fuel even with the great roads we have the bike will beat you up.  We have 3 days in this so far and it is moving right along. I have to finish boring the cylinders for the new JE pistons and then I will complete the top end on the little evo. This evo should put out 90hp as I have built many using these same parts before. Weight wise the will be in the 390-425 lb range so that little engine will spool it up very fast and the 6th gear will be nice to cruise.  We are working on the seat pan now as he is out there with the planishing hammer making a TON of noise.  We are not really trying to have a certain look just using items we have and we will see how it looks once we get there if we dont like it toss it and make something else.Oil bag will be mounted on the left side verticle with some hand twisted steel. We plan on painting the oil tank to look like a old oil can. Not sure what brand yet but time will tell.

How about painting it to look like an old can of HD oil?  That would seem appropriate... ;)
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 09:20:26 PM »

Glad to see the initial pics, keep sending some in-progress-pics as you continue the build.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 09:42:17 PM »

Who built the frame?

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 09:31:09 AM »

Dick at ATLAS did. He and Peggy his wife are very nice to deal with full custom frames taking less than 3 weeks. There worl is always top notch. I had a 1/2 inch offset built inot the frame for this set up. If you have built a bike before the offset plates can really be a pain. The engine drops in clean all holes line up. In fact on this frame as it is a one off we had the rar end set up for the Buell caliper. Everything came spaced right, caliper mount was dead on. We add our own tank mounts and the rest but the little things like not having to make extra mounts is nice.

I have used dozens of other frames and I can tell you that I have never had a frame that had all the mounts correct. I was at the point of ordering frames with the mounts not welded on as it was easier than cutting it off and then welding back on correctly.

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 12:28:26 PM »

nice frame
thanks for the pictures, keep them posting as she progresses :drink:

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 12:33:54 PM »

nice idea about the hd oil can but I would really have to see that. Not sure though as i am looking for something that will match the over all color once done it will be the last thing we do.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 07:05:03 PM »

nice idea about the hd oil can but I would really have to see that. Not sure though as i am looking for something that will match the over all color once done it will be the last thing we do.
Here's one vintage 60's can of HD Oil

2012 FLHXSE3

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 07:13:53 PM »

Here's a 40's can
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 07:17:34 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 07:15:08 PM »

A 20's can

2012 FLHXSE3

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 07:15:47 PM »

a 50's can

2012 FLHXSE3

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 08:34:14 PM »

Here's one vintage 60's can of HD Oil

Red,

As I recall Pre-Luxe oil was used in the ‘60’s. I can’t say for sure when the can pictured was first used; I recall that Power Blend was introduced around 1980, then they quit using cans and went to plastic quart bottles.

djkak

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 09:00:26 PM »

A 20's can

Notice the 20's can came in 5 gallons...

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 10:47:27 PM »

Red,

As I recall Pre-Luxe oil was used in the ‘60’s. I can’t say for sure when the can pictured was first used; I recall that Power Blend was introduced around 1980, then they quit using cans and went to plastic quart bottles.

djkak

dj,
You could be right.  This was just the information I got when I did some research on the web.  I didn't run any HD's in the sixties, in fact I wasn't even riding yet, so I'm definitely not an expert on what was used back then.  ;)

2012 FLHXSE3

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 10:05:14 AM »

Thanks for the pictures. It may look great. I have to get the frame done first to see the hue of color for the P/C. But it may work well. We did the rocker boxes in some candy apple red P/C that we had to test it and the wife loved the color but we may end up re shooting that as it does not mix well with the rest of the bike. The line & wiring are going to be covered in a copper braid, so the frame will have a copper color in the mix. Have to look at the color charts to see what we can get.  Tank and rear fender will be the basic flat black. It will have some old school pin striping as that is the look we are after.  We like to build bikes that have the multi part look but it has to tie in. As I siad before we build most the parts in house vs buying them. It is not the money issue as I could have all the items here already and be bolting them on but the idea that you made the battery box, all the mounting hardware.  The pipes will be hand bent and welded, I may have them sent out for ceramic coating once done??? not sure as they make a really cool brown/copper exhaust wrap.

It any one is wrapping pipes here is a trick to make it really easy. Soak the wrap over night in water. Then let it drip dry for 30-40 minutes then wrap the pipe. There will be noise air borne dust and it will get extremely tight once it dries. We like to use heavy electrical wire to hold it on( bare wire of course) You can use a drill to spin it tight if you do not have a safety wire tool.

I have some old dirt bike pegs that we will use for the forward control pegs. Just plain ols cool items that we have left over form all kinds of things. We have used skate board trucks before as pegs. Once done the stuff look good and works. Plus it sets the bike apart from others. Nothing like being creative with the build. Well i have a bung to weld into that aluminum oil bag so I gotta get to work.

Again a big thanks to those that posted the pictures of the oil can. I will let my painter see them and see what he can do. 

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 11:51:50 AM »

Ok we have the oil bag mounted, waiting on the outer drive to set up the battery box, and trans/ engine.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2007, 01:43:54 PM »

Here it is again a bit further down the line

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 01:44:17 PM »

from the other side, we are moving the bars or replacing will have to see how it looks later in the build.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 01:53:14 PM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 01:54:07 PM »

Interesting location for the oil bag Steve. Is this a first or do you usually mount them there? Undecided how I feel about it. As long as you like is all that matters! ;)

Nice looking front end. Whose is it?

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 02:00:31 PM »

I have never put a bag there before. I dig it myself different really. I think the pipes are going up under the seat area then out the back . The running gear is Buell parts left over form other builds.  When you build a one off bike you use what you have and make it work. The battery box is going on the outside on the other side of the frame, you can see it in the picture. We stole it from a sporty project we just did, and added expanded steel to it.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2007, 03:06:40 PM »

Well here it is, we are not done with the paint yet, it will get a full sleeve of Sailor Jerry style tatoos.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2007, 03:07:07 PM »

The other side

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2007, 03:13:33 PM »

looks great
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2007, 03:20:45 PM »

Very nice...how does it fit?  Some pics of the owner on the bike next, eh?

Seegarz :2vrolijk_21:

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2007, 03:22:07 PM »

Looks nice. Bet it's fun to ride and hauls freight. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2007, 03:24:06 PM »

Nice work, Steve...how does she run?  I'm not talking about your bride, but the bike... ;) :)

TTS Mastertune

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2007, 04:02:39 PM »

:worthless: :nixweiss:  runs GREAT

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2007, 04:30:30 PM »

:worthless: :nixweiss:  runs GREAT

I hear ya, bro   :2vrolijk_21:  Bike looks like it's light as a feather too...bet it's scarey fast... :drink: :drink:

TTS Mastertune

REGGAB

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2007, 04:53:39 PM »

Awesome looking machine, Steve.  Fantastic job......especially since you built it from leftover parts.  I'm certain Michele loves it.  Congrats on a GR8 build.

Henry

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2007, 05:21:14 PM »

that is a great looking ride ( even more since you did it with leftover parts)!  I hope you have supply of rear tires! john
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2007, 05:23:06 PM »

I was keeping the rpm's under 3500 there. The bike is running a PSI big air carb and they rock. Razor sharp throttle response, as good or better than efi no kidding.   I have not really beat on the bike yet the engine is new with maybe 30 miles on it thus far. so I will get after it soon. Michele has changed here mind on the bike and wants us to buy a new bagger so the bike is up for sale.

SEEG Geezer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2007, 09:11:25 PM »

Incredible looking ride............great job........

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2007, 09:19:58 PM »

Take it easy my A$$.. thats a got a bad attiude.  :2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2007, 10:48:44 AM »

Well I had a chance to get some more miles on it. Bike is running great. I was able to play with a few bikes local and it pulls extremely hard. Local guy we did a build for that has dyno'd his scoot is making 107hp and 113 tq. We lined up and let them rip and I had him by 7-8 bikes as we went through the 1/4 miles painted on a road. It is a local place to run the bikes. Road is no longer used so works out great, local police look the other way so far so good. That is until some one complains.  Hard to leave at this point as the front wheel is air happy in 1st and 2nd gear.

AND did I mention it is up for sale???  I have my eye on a matt silver 07 street gilde that is begging me for a 155 swap. So need to sell the bobber. Asking price is 18,000 , as always cash talks!!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 10:20:18 AM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2007, 10:28:25 AM »

Gorgeous looking scoot. Good luck on a quick turn around.  Wife is smart wanting the bagger.   :cherry:

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2007, 11:31:16 AM »

Hey Steve, congrats on getting hitched.. Did she sell her Bobber?
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 21 queries.