Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: S&S Single Bore Tuned Intake  (Read 13746 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
S&S Single Bore Tuned Intake
« on: June 16, 2007, 10:19:43 AM »

Is anyone using this intake system? http://www.sscycle.com/  Click on Feature to read more. As you know, I'm doing the cams and TB next week then getting the bike re-tuned. I'm also testing 3 exhaust systems during the tune; S&S SPO's w/V&H TD's, same mufflers w/stock headpipes, and D&D Fatcats w/quiet baffle. It was suggested that I try this system as it's supposed to really help provide better TQ in the low and mid ranges, without sacrificing any top end performance. I'm told my tuner loves this system, but I haven't spoken with him yet. I'm not crazy about the looks. I prefer the Classic S&S Teardrop, but numbers will speak for themselves. I'll probably test this system too with the best performing exhaust system I try. I'm curious to hear if anyone is using it, what you think, and if it's in the way of your legs at all. They make it in a Teardrop Style also, but it doesn't look like anything more than I'm doing with my Doherty PP right now. It's difficult to navigate the S&S site, but if you want more info on it, click Products, Product Catalogs and open the '07 Twin Cam Performance Guide Catalog. They make a real HiPo one, but it requires their twin bore TB and their FI module. Not ready to go that far yet. But the Single Bore Tuned Intake sounded very promising. Any thoughts?

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 10:47:49 AM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: S&S Single Bore Tuned Intake
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 10:49:40 AM »

P.44

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 11:22:14 AM »

Hoist, not sure which bike you doing, but if this is you main long distance rider, I just be worried about an open element filter in any real rain.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 11:28:37 AM »

Hoist, not sure which bike you doing, but if this is you main long distance rider, I just be worried about an open element filter in any real rain.

I kinda have that issue now with the Doherty PP and S&S Desperado Slotted Teardrop Cover. I think any open A/C is prone to this, even behind a cover. But I agree, being wide open, it's got to get wetter. That's why I asked about it. Thanks Talon.

Hoist!

ggraves427

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's a clean machine.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 11:48:37 AM »

I have it on my bike and I am very happy with it.  With seat of the pants dyno test, I know it runs faster. Having said that, I have not and probably won't ride it in a heavy rain storm unless I am just caught out. I have not had the lowers on since I installed the S&S unit, you may have to leave the glovebox door off, not sure, no big deal for me.  I have received several compliments and inquiries. Please don't be abusive, I'll get you a photo. 
2004 B&B, SEEG, Power Commander, S&S dual runner to single bore Tuned Air Induction System , D&D Performance 2 into 1 with fake left side, spoiler lights, LED lights, air horns, front fender spear, chopped tour box, in dash oil temp. guage

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 11:52:11 AM »

I have it on my bike and I am very happy with it.  With seat of the pants dyno test, I know it runs faster. Having said that, I have not and probably won't ride it in a heavy rain storm unless I am just caught out. I have not had the lowers on since I installed the S&S unit, you may have to leave the glovebox door off, not sure, no big deal for me.  I have received several compliments and inquiries. Please don't be abusive, I'll get you a photo. 

Thanks hotline. How about leg room. Any interference, or is it out of the way enough that you can sit normal? And pics would be great! :2vrolijk_21: Hoist! 8)

Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 09:35:58 PM »

Hoist & Hotlineguy

IMHO, the S&S Dual setup would look great on bagger.  I hope you do have the opportunity to dyno it. I'm on the fence about replacing my Doherty PowerPacc just for the looks of it.  I've scoured the internet and can't find any comparisons against larger round air filters and haven't seen any magazine articles.  It was S&S's claim of improving low-mid range TQ that caught my eye initially.

It does cover up the front cylinder though - it's a big part for sure.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 09:55:10 PM by Bagger »
2002 Road King Classic (117ci  (CR 10.62:1 / 
S&S 4 3/8” Flywheel / Baisley Superstock Plus Heads (83cc 1.94” I / 1.630” E)
4.125" Axtell cylinders / 4.125” JE -0.10" dished
0.030" Head Gasket / TMan 625G cam /
HPI 55mm TB / HPI 5.3 Injectors / Trask Assault A/C / FM Jackpot RTX 2-1

Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 09:56:37 PM »

Hotlineguy

Could you post pictures of the S&S setup on your bike, I'd like to get an idea of the actual size.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 10:01:42 PM »

Ck this out from Skippy. I think the S&S has the same 90 degree bend.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=14043.msg220558#msg220558

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 03:43:59 PM »

I think Klock Werks has this on the "Worlds Fastest Bagger" they built on Discovery Channel. I think it looks good, probably gets cooler air being farther forward. Yea, here it is.

http://www.kustomcycles.com/bikes/index.php?id=105

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 07:17:51 PM »

I think Klock Werks has this on the "Worlds Fastest Bagger" they built on Discovery Channel. I think it looks good, probably gets cooler air being farther forward. Yea, here it is.

http://www.kustomcycles.com/bikes/index.php?id=105

If I'm not mistaken, that's the S&S Dual Bore Tuned Induction System. It's used with their Twin Throat Throttle Body and their FI Module. The Single Bore unit is used with Delphi FI systems or S&S carbs. I can understand why the Dual Bore would provide better performance. But I'm struggling to see why it's any better than a normal A/C assembly, since it's Single Bore and goes back to a common intake point at the throttle body. Hoist! 8)

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 09:17:22 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, that's the S&S Dual Bore Tuned Induction System. It's used with their Twin Throat Throttle Body and their FI Module. The Single Bore unit is used with Delphi FI systems or S&S carbs. I can understand why the Dual Bore would provide better performance. But I'm struggling to see why it's any better than a normal A/C assembly, since it's Single Bore and goes back to a common intake point at the throttle body. Hoist! 8)

Howie, the single bore works under the same principal, to accelerate air flow to the TB.  I think you will find you have more leg room as the runners and air filters are further forward than a conventional AC assembly.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 09:07:36 AM »

Howie, the single bore works under the same principal, to accelerate air flow to the TB.  I think you will find you have more leg room as the runners and air filters are further forward than a conventional AC assembly.

Cool, thanks Pete. I think I'll have Joe give it a shot and see if there's a numbers difference. I'd hate to give up my S&S Teardrop, but numbers are numbers! ;) Hoist! 8)

Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 10:26:26 AM »

Pic of a bike with the S&S Single Bored Tuned Intake on it - not my bike.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 11:32:21 AM »

Pic of a bike with the S&S Single Bored Tuned Intake on it - not my bike.

Thanks Bagger. I like it but do have mixed feelings about it's looks. I'd really hate to give up the S&S teardrop look. But if it flows much better, and makes better TQ as claimed, it would definitely sway me in that direction. Just when you think you're done, something else always comes into play! ;) Hoist! 8)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 11:42:58 AM »

The only thing that would concern me about this setup is the rain.  On an Ultra, going down the road in the rain wouldn't be a big deal, but if the filter gets saturated with water, then guess where the filter oil/water is going to drip?  All over your floorboards, brake pedal, etc, it seems to me.  The leg room would be nice though.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 02:49:39 PM »

The only thing that would concern me about this setup is the rain.  On an Ultra, going down the road in the rain wouldn't be a big deal, but if the filter gets saturated with water, then guess where the filter oil/water is going to drip?  All over your floorboards, brake pedal, etc, it seems to me.  The leg room would be nice though.
I would guess these wouldn't be recommended for bikes w/lowers, because of the lowers restricting the airflow as forward as these are. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 04:41:13 PM »

S&S sells rain covers for them.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 04:44:12 PM »

Do they inhibit fow much? First I thought they were for when you're parked. But they say you can ride with them. Thanks. Hoist! 8)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 04:51:30 PM »

Condoms, huh?  It might work then.  I'd like to see one in person, both with and without condoms...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »

From Hoist:  There's a chance, albeit a small one, that I'll be switching to the S&S Single Port Dual Induction System at my tune, after I get the bike back. But if I keep the DPP, I'll definitely be rerouting the breather lines beneath the bike as I showed earlier. Hoist! 8)

Come on, you've got to get the S&S setup and test it for us and provide photos <grin>.  I'm so close to pushing the impulse button and getting one myself, but there's a little voice reminding me to be practical just this one time when it comes to the bike. Aside from the potential small increase in TQ across the low-mid rpms as S&S marketing hype shows in their own dyno above their own tear drop A/C setup.  But, for $650, just not so sure I'm sold on the looks for my bagger. 

About the rain covers, page 45 of their product catalog.
http://www.sscycle.com/catalog17/twincam/uploads/twincam_Page_45.jpg
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 11:49:57 AM by Bagger »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2007, 11:46:37 AM »

Come on, you've got to get the S&S setup and test it for us and provide photos <grin>.  I'm so close to pushing the impulse button and getting one myself, but there's a little voice reminding me to be practical just this one time when it comes to the bike. Aside from the potential small increase in TQ across the low-mid rpms as S&S marketing hype shows in their dyno above their own tear drop A/C setyo.  But, for $650, just not so sure I'm sold on the looks for my bagger. 

About the rain covers, page 45 of their product catalog.
http://www.sscycle.com/catalog17/twincam/uploads/twincam_Page_45.jpg

We will be testing it and comparing it to the DPP. It has to show a marked improvement over the DPP for me to give up my S&S Teardrop! I'm trying to get the most out of the mods I'm making right now. If that includes this induction system and changing from the SPO's to the Fatcats, so be it! I'm looking to bring this beast to life right now! ;) Hoist! 8)

Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2007, 11:48:24 AM »

Thanks Bagger. I like it but do have mixed feelings about it's looks. I'd really hate to give up the S&S teardrop look. But if it flows much better, and makes better TQ as claimed, it would definitely sway me in that direction. Just when you think you're done, something else always comes into play! ;) Hoist! 8)

Have you come across any discount prices for it?  You mention DPP and S&S Teardrop, so are you running the Doherty Power Pacc or the S&S Tear Drop setup? 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 11:52:54 AM by Bagger »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2007, 11:50:37 AM »

Have you come across any discount prices for it?

I haven't looked at all. These are hard to come by from what I understand, and you'll wait awhile for it after ordering, unless someone has it in stock. My tuner has one on the shelf. We'll use it for testing, and if I like it, I'll be buying it off of him. Hoist! 8)

Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2007, 12:00:01 PM »

I haven't looked at all. These are hard to come by from what I understand, and you'll wait awhile for it after ordering, unless someone has it in stock. My tuner has one on the shelf. We'll use it for testing, and if I like it, I'll be buying it off of him. Hoist! 8)

Hoist, when you test the S&S setup, please determine whether the head breathers can be routed to the atmosphere with hoses?

Couple of threads regarding S&S Tuned Induction.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100484&highlight=tuned+induction
http://www.bikernet.com/SandS/PageViewer.asp?PageID=1257
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 01:05:30 PM by Bagger »

StrahDawg

• 2007 Screamin' Eagle Springer
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2007, 03:32:06 PM »

I'm new to this forum and saw this topic on S&S Single Bore Tuned Intake and hopefully I can help a little. If you check my gallery I posted a few pics. As far as actual performance numbers go I cant give facts right now. Heres the short version of the story I've been waiting almost 2 months for this flippin thing and it's been on back order. My exhaust and SERT was installed May 7th and Dyno'd 92 Hp and 107 Tq. I coudnt drive the bike stock any longer and said screw it put it on. Finally on Monday 6-25 it came in and I put it on that night. Again as far as actual numbers go I dont know but it did actually  make a difference you can feel especially in the mid range. The bike is running great so to spend another $200 for a Dyno to see a number is just not worth it especially with it running so great. Hope that helps just my 2 cents...

2007 Screamin' Eagle Springer
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner
Rinehart 2 into 1 exhaust
Kuryakin Lizard Lights
A Few Chrome Do-Dad's Here & There!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2007, 03:39:22 PM »

I'm new to this forum and saw this topic on S&S Single Bore Tuned Intake and hopefully I can help a little. If you check my gallery I posted a few pics. As far as actual performance numbers go I cant give facts right now. Heres the short version of the story I've been waiting almost 2 months for this flippin thing and it's been on back order. My exhaust and SERT was installed May 7th and Dyno'd 92 Hp and 107 Tq. I coudnt drive the bike stock any longer and said screw it put it on. Finally on Monday 6-25 it came in and I put it on that night. Again as far as actual numbers go I dont know but it did actually  make a difference you can feel especially in the mid range. The bike is running great so to spend another $200 for a Dyno to see a number is just not worth it especially with it running so great. Hope that helps just my 2 cents...

Thanks SD! That does help. You're butt dyno tells you it does too. My tuner has one and we're going to compare it's performance with my Doherty Power Pakk (if I ever get my bike fixed!). Welcome to the site! Beautiful bike and I like the look of that intake too. Good luck with your bike and enjoy the site! Hoist! 8)

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2007, 03:51:22 PM »

Whether it increases performance or not, that thing looks cool as chit on that bike.  Nice job!
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2007, 03:03:45 AM »

Chit Chit Chit Chit (there goes more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)...That thing looks SMOKIN'

Dawg, what type of AC were you using before?  Thank you for the pic and the report...I think I hate you.   ;)

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2007, 03:05:50 AM »

...just thought of something more...Dawg, what changes did you make to the SERT MAP after the S&S?

Thanx,
Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2007, 07:23:56 AM »

I like the bike!  Has a clean, smooth flowing look.  The S&S Intake and Rineharts are a terrific styling match.  Thanks for the pictures. 

Can the head crankvents be routed to the air with hoses vs into the aircleaner?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 07:34:31 AM by Bagger »

StrahDawg

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2007, 02:26:09 PM »

Thanks for all the complements I'm glad you all like !!! Now to answer some questions when I had the SERT and exhaust put on my father in law let me swap the filter from his Ness Big Sucker kit that he was having put on later in the week. I was told that the K&N filter flows alot better than the SE paper filter and that when I put the S&S Intake on they thought it should be close in comparison but ofcourse they couldnt guarantee it. I know it probably should be tuned again but like I said it's running great so why spend the cash to see a number. As far as crankvents go I have the Delphi set up and the bracket just bolts on I didnt have to mess with anything other than some minor shimming with the bracket. When you order you have to specify which carb you have because there are different brackets for each carb and there sold separately ($300) just for the flippin bracket. I would of had to pay $40 each for the blue filters to match my bike the kit comes with rose colored filters but because it took so long the place I bought it from gave me the one for free. Hopefully I answered all your questions anything else let me know also Hoist when you guys do that test please post the results.

Thanks
S D

Kuryakin Lizard Lights

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2007, 02:29:59 PM »

Have you come across any discount prices for it?  You mention DPP and S&S Teardrop, so are you running the Doherty Power Pacc or the S&S Tear Drop setup? 

Sorry I missed this Bagger. I'm running the Doherty PowerPacc/PowerVent set up with an S&S backplate for use with S&S style filter and S&S Teardrop Cover (from an S&S E/G carb). It comes complete with everything but the Teardrop cover. I really like the setup (except for the puking), and just ordered the Doherty Mystfree too. And I'm routing the breather to the ground anyway. I'm not sure how the breather works on the S&S Tuned Intake, or if I can still use the Power Vents, or how that would look. If I can use the PV's with it, I can still route the line to the bottom. Not sure how the breather for the Tuned Induction is set up though.

And BTW, thanks so much for the FatCat articles. I ordered the Quiet Performace Big-Bore system in the article. Would have never known about them! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007, 09:15:35 PM »

Sorry I missed this Bagger. I'm running the Doherty PowerPacc/PowerVent set up with an S&S backplate for use with S&S style filter and S&S Teardrop Cover (from an S&S E/G carb). It comes complete with everything but the Teardrop cover. I really like the setup (except for the puking), and just ordered the Doherty Mystfree too. And I'm routing the breather to the ground anyway. I'm not sure how the breather works on the S&S Tuned Intake, or if I can still use the Power Vents, or how that would look. If I can use the PV's with it, I can still route the line to the bottom. Not sure how the breather for the Tuned Induction is set up though.

And BTW, thanks so much for the FatCat articles. I ordered the Quiet Performace Big-Bore system in the article. Would have never known about them! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

You're welcome for the article.

I too run the Doherty PowerPacc/Powervent setup, but with an Arlen Ness Big Sucker filter.   Looking hard at the S&S Single Bore Tuned Intake.  Just that I'm on the fence about how functionable it is for long distance touring.

I've run the Doherty Mystfree breathers before- didn't eliminate my heavy oil misting.  But I do like the Mystfree breathers because it's design doesn't use the foam within the breather setup to scrub the oil from the air - less maintenance.  They are beautifully machined pieces, IMHO, an improvement over stock.  Now they just sit on a shelf in my garage because the TP Engineering rocker boxes I use now don't use breather valves at all.  But you know, the TPs didn't eliminate my heavy oil misitng either - but they look fantastic.

Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007, 09:25:06 PM »

Thanks for all the complements I'm glad you all like !!! Now to answer some questions when I had the SERT and exhaust put on my father in law let me swap the filter from his Ness Big Sucker kit that he was having put on later in the week. I was told that the K&N filter flows alot better than the SE paper filter and that when I put the S&S Intake on they thought it should be close in comparison but ofcourse they couldnt guarantee it. I know it probably should be tuned again but like I said it's running great so why spend the cash to see a number. As far as crankvents go I have the Delphi set up and the bracket just bolts on I didnt have to mess with anything other than some minor shimming with the bracket. When you order you have to specify which carb you have because there are different brackets for each carb and there sold separately ($300) just for the flippin bracket. I would of had to pay $40 each for the blue filters to match my bike the kit comes with rose colored filters but because it took so long the place I bought it from gave me the one for free. Hopefully I answered all your questions anything else let me know also Hoist when you guys do that test please post the results.

Thanks
S D

StrahDawg, I'm sorry, but it's not clear to me.  Does it appear hoses can be run off the head breather bolts and routed to the ground versus having the air routed into the throttle body?  Right now I run Doherty Powervents and run the hoses to the atmosphere.  From your terrific pictures it doesn't look like the Powervents can be used with the S&S setup, but it's possible hoses can still be vented to the atmosphere.  I just don't want that oily air mist going into my combustion chamber and carboning up the piston tops and combustion chamber.

StrahDawg

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2007, 08:50:25 AM »

Bagger I'm not sure for your application because of the different brackets. When I ordered mine I called S&S originally because it was taking so long and in conversation asked about my install and he said it was pretty much a straight bolt on part for me. Before you order I would give S&S a call they were very friendly and helpful in answering any questions. Sorry I couldnt help more but I honestly dont know.

Kuryakin Lizard Lights

Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2007, 12:02:03 PM »

Bagger I'm not sure for your application because of the different brackets. When I ordered mine I called S&S originally because it was taking so long and in conversation asked about my install and he said it was pretty much a straight bolt on part for me. Before you order I would give S&S a call they were very friendly and helpful in answering any questions. Sorry I couldnt help more but I honestly dont know.

StrahDawg - Who did you order the S&S Intake from.  If it wasn't directly from S&S, do you know what catalog it was ordered out of, i.e. Drag Specialities, Custom Chrome, Bikers Choice, etc.

Email response I recieved from S&S.

Date: July 24, 2007 11:59:17 AM EDT
To:
Subject: Head Vents

You can run the breathers to atmosphere. We run them into the intake for a cleaner look.
Thanks,

Customer Support
S&S Cycle, Inc.

StrahDawg

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2007, 07:45:11 AM »

Bagger I sent you an email with the company's info wasn't sure if it was ok to post that. If we are and anyone else wants one let me know and I'll post or email you the info.

Kuryakin Lizard Lights

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2007, 08:34:56 AM »

Numbers talk, BS walks! After getting the top end overhauled, and adding a few minor perf goodies, we dyno'd the bike up to 4500 RPM for break-in. The bike tested at 120 Tq/114 HP. We swapped the DPP for the S&S Tuned Runner and it jumped to 127 Tq/118 HP! That's over 5% increase in Tq just for the A/C change! It also picked up the bottom and mid-range Tq where there was a dip in the curve w/the DPP. I couldn't believe the increase made by just an A/C change, considering we were swapping from another Performance A/C! The numbers don't lie. But bear in mind, this is on a "tweaked" 110 engine. So, all in all, I'm sold on this unit. The S&S Tuned Runner System is staying and the DPP is history. If anyone's interested, it's up for sale in the "Selling" Section.

Hoist! 8)

StrahDawg

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2007, 08:38:56 AM »

Thanks for the info Hoist performance and looks bad a$$ 1 word "PRICELESS" !!! :2vrolijk_21:

Kuryakin Lizard Lights

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2007, 08:43:14 AM »

Dawg...I sent you a PM

Seegarz

Seegarsmkr

StrahDawg

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2007, 08:53:48 AM »

Seegarz just sent the reply.

Kuryakin Lizard Lights

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2007, 09:36:29 AM »

My bud has that intake on his 106 S&S and is liking it....

Miker

Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2007, 10:41:31 AM »

Bagger I sent you an email with the company's info wasn't sure if it was ok to post that. If we are and anyone else wants one let me know and I'll post or email you the info.

StrahDawg, please email again the info, I didn't recieve it from you.  You probably could post the info here as you're not the buisness, but a member who purchased a product and is satisfied with it.

baggerdad2003@yahoo.com

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2007, 11:02:09 AM »

Wait Howie! I found a better intake for you!! This should add a few extra HP.   :P

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2007, 11:17:22 AM »

Holy crap, what a contraption that is! I think I'll pass. I can't stand all the components and plumbing required for turbos on a HD! And that one takes the cake! ;) Hoist! 8)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2007, 11:26:59 AM »

The air flow can be x amount based on size and pressure in the tb..  My bud has that air horn on his 106 S&S and did not seem to have any issues on Sundy's ride in any of the three soaking we got, it looks tough on his blacked out SG, to each his own.  He was a dissapointd in his dyno although, 105T/95hp ish, but I think it is because he runs RH 2-2's on it...You gotta have 2-1 for the best Perf..just gotta.

Miker

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2007, 11:53:03 AM »

Yea, looks like the A/C would hit you in the thigh, plus this is on a shovel, just thought I'd give you a hard time!! I don't like the look if turbos, or superchargers on any HD bike.  ;D

StrahDawg

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2007, 01:30:26 PM »

Bagger, I bought it from a company in Sandusky Ohio M&M Cycle 419-624-8739 I dealt with Mark was great to deal with. Only problem I had was that I had to wait a month because it was on back order from S&S.
StrahDawg, please email again the info, I didn't recieve it from you.  You probably could post the info here as you're not the buisness, but a member who purchased a product and is satisfied with it.

baggerdad2003@yahoo.com

Kuryakin Lizard Lights

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2007, 09:04:32 AM »

Granted - I'm a little slow - but bottom line, what does this thing cost? $700? I don't see an actual price in the link anywhere
Available from Drag? Looks great on the Springer BTW
Hoist - how about a pic?
Someone let me know
thanks
-Beerman
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2007, 09:09:34 AM »

Granted - I'm a little slow - but bottom line, what does this thing cost? $700? I don't see an actual price in the link anywhere
Available from Drag? Looks great on the Springer BTW
Hoist - how about a pic?
Someone let me know
thanks
-Beerman

Hey beerman, was hoping tp pick the bike up tomorrow, but this damn humidity is holding up final testing and tuning. I'll get pics up as soon as I get the bike back. I rode it 600 miles last weekend to break it in again. It does look awesome and gives me more space for my legs than a std A/C. Joe told me that it looks really slick now, with this intake and the FatCats! I can't wait to pick it up. But I"m not gonna rush perfection! ;) Hoist! 8)

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2007, 09:11:07 AM »

Howie, you'll have to post a pic of the new intake!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2007, 09:13:06 AM »

Howie, you'll have to post a pic of the new intake!

Talon,

Hey beerman, was hoping tp pick the bike up tomorrow, but this damn humidity is holding up final testing and tuning. I'll get pics up as soon as I get the bike back. I rode it 600 miles last weekend to break it in again. It does look awesome and gives me more space for my legs than a std A/C. Joe told me that it looks really slick now, with this intake and the FatCats! I can't wait to pick it up. But I"m not gonna rush perfection! ;) Hoist! 8)

;) Hoist! ;)

StrahDawg

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2007, 07:26:50 PM »

Hoist,

Were still waiting on that pic and how's she running?

Kuryakin Lizard Lights

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2007, 07:31:45 PM »

Hoist,

Were still waiting on that pic and how's she running?

Don't wait here man! The whole build and test results are chronichled here: http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=14707.0 Final testing is tomorrow. I'm picking it up on Sat. Hang in there, I'm almost there! ;)

Hoist!

Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2007, 01:39:49 PM »

Hoist and Strahdawg - reoiling your S&S blue filters, what oil are you going to use.  The standard K&N oil is red, will that turn you filters purple?  I ordered the S&S Tuned Intake with red filters for now.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2007, 02:14:25 PM »

Hoist and Strahdawg - reoiling your S&S blue filters, what oil are you going to use.  The standard K&N oil is red, will that turn you filters purple?  I ordered the S&S Tuned Intake with red filters for now.

I had a Blue Filter on my DPP and their kit comes in Blue. Good to go! ;) Hoist! 8)

Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »

« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 03:22:09 PM by Bagger »

StrahDawg

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2007, 05:19:59 PM »

Thanks Bagger for the info another guy recommended the AFE blue oil also. After I ordered the blue filters originally I didnt know what I was going to do and was thinking the same thing about using the K&N red if it would change the color.

Kuryakin Lizard Lights
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 21 queries.