Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Size matters...let's get some real motors in an HD...  (Read 7895 times)

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Size matters...let's get some real motors in an HD...
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 01:43:30 PM »

Rumors have HD planning the following engine displacements for the next few years:

2000 cc = 122 cu in

2200 cc = 134 cu in

2400 cc = 146 cu in

I reckon if that's the case they're gonna have to be water cooled

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 01:49:45 PM »

I reckon if that's the case they're gonna have to be water cooled

I agree- With all the crying' that's going on now about HEAT from the 110- It will have to be :)

You all can be the test bed for those rides - you can use the official HD Coolant to be named later (that we all know is Sh$t) because the motor co stuff (Fluids) are all Just inferior :)

The usuall bunch of crap and whining.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2007, 01:51:41 PM »

I'll have to say that two stroked Revo's mated into one 4 cylinder Vtwin at 2500cc, and put in a touring platform would get EVERYBODY'S attention.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2007, 02:54:33 PM »

I agree- With all the crying' that's going on now about HEAT from the 110- It will have to be :)
The usuall bunch of crap and whining.

I just whined all the way to HD - devoted a good part of the Moco's purchase feedback survey to the heat and a/f issues.  Just mailed it today. 

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2007, 11:52:37 AM »

I'll have to say that two stroked Revo's mated into one 4 cylinder Vtwin at 2500cc, and put in a touring platform would get EVERYBODY'S attention.

Yeah, and a bunch of folks would be whinin that aint a Harley if it aint a air cooled V-twin, or at least a V-twin...I don't agree, just saying its gonna be a big gripe out there... :)
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2007, 11:28:34 AM »

Yeah, and a bunch of folks would be whinin that aint a Harley if it aint a air cooled V-twin, or at least a V-twin...I don't agree, just saying its gonna be a big gripe out there... :)

ceej...I know, Vrod riders get some of that crap handed to them.  I've not personally experienced it, but a lot of people who ride V's get comments from riders of "regular" Harleys to the tune of "that ain't a REAL Harley"...blah, blah, blah.  For me, it is most definitely a Harley...it feels like one when you're on it, there's nothing else on the road that looks like it, or sounds like it.  Times, they are a changin'...

I don't really see a down side to a high output water cooled touring bike developed out of the Revo motor.  The V's have had a few small problems throughout the production years, but very minor ones, and a lot of riders have LOT's of miles on these motors without any problems at all.  Having another choice is always a good thing.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2007, 11:45:33 AM »

ceej...I know, Vrod riders get some of that crap handed to them.  I've not personally experienced it, but a lot of people who ride V's get comments from riders of "regular" Harleys to the tune of "that ain't a REAL Harley"...blah, blah, blah.  For me, it is most definitely a Harley...it feels like one when you're on it, there's nothing else on the road that looks like it, or sounds like it.  Times, they are a changin'...

I don't really see a down side to a high output water cooled touring bike developed out of the Revo motor.  The V's have had a few small problems throughout the production years, but very minor ones, and a lot of riders have LOT's of miles on these motors without any problems at all.  Having another choice is always a good thing.

TC, when I sat your V-Rod for 20 minutes or so that morning it was a Harley.  Had the name right there staring back at me in the speedometer.  Surely the damn thing wouldn't have lied to me would it?  It did surely get to sumpin-sumpin miles per hour faster than any Harley I'd ridden before.  ::)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2007, 12:06:54 PM »

How can it truly be a real Harley if it only has small/minor problems?  :nixweiss:  har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2007, 12:13:53 PM »

How can it truly be a real Harley if it only has small/minor problems?  :nixweiss:  har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder

Damn you Spyder.  That's a mouthful of soda I'll never get back.

More seriously and less sloppily though; I've never had a reason to pay close attention to the V-Rod's service history.  Do remember some early models getting new engines because the HP reporting was off a bit.  They weren't breaking.  Harley just overstated the numbers relative to what they were actually doing if memory serves me correctly.

Aside from that have the V-Rods been a relatively clean introduction.  It would be a large step from the norm for them to get a new motor right right out of the box.  Make it a new motor and a completely new platform and it wouldn't be a surprise for HD to have taxed its limits somewhat. 

V-Rod guys, has the V-Rod been pretty clean in it's first several year introduction?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2007, 12:32:08 PM »

Damn you Spyder.  That's a mouthful of soda I'll never get back.

More seriously and less sloppily though; I've never had a reason to pay close attention to the V-Rod's service history.  Do remember some early models getting new engines because the HP reporting was off a bit.  They weren't breaking.  Harley just overstated the numbers relative to what they were actually doing if memory serves me correctly.

Aside from that have the V-Rods been a relatively clean introduction.  It would be a large step from the norm for them to get a new motor right right out of the box.  Make it a new motor and a completely new platform and it wouldn't be a surprise for HD to have taxed its limits somewhat. 

V-Rod guys, has the V-Rod been pretty clean in it's first several year introduction?
2lane,

The heavy involvement of Porshe in the design and development of the V-Rod engine may have a lot to do with it.  ;)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2007, 12:36:50 PM »

2lane,

The heavy involvement of Porshe in the design and development of the V-Rod engine may have a lot to do with it.  ;)

Jerry

The same thought had passed between my ears also Jerry.  Still, it's not like Harley can't find ways to screw new things up when left to their own devices.  Just glad for the V-Rod guys that such wasn't the case this time.

Does anyone know if later revisions to the product would be engineered from the same alliance?  Or does everything later become Harley's efforts?  Maybe it's Gen II that they fall back to old habits?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2007, 01:11:13 PM »

The same thought had passed between my ears also Jerry.  Still, it's not like Harley can't find ways to screw new things up when left to their own devices.  Just glad for the V-Rod guys that such wasn't the case this time.

Does anyone know if later revisions to the product would be engineered from the same alliance?  Or does everything later become Harley's efforts?  Maybe it's Gen II that they fall back to old habits?
there you go again with those 'negative vibs'.  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2007, 01:16:53 PM »

there you go again with those 'negative vibs'.  har!  spyder

Spyders, there are times when negatives are positives.  Think roller coaster.  With big dips.  Dips enough to cause a moment of strong negative G.  Think girl without bra and relatively loose shirt.  Think good roller coaster ride.

Sometimes negatives are positives :2vrolijk_21: .

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2007, 01:30:14 PM »

Spyders, there are times when negatives are positives.  Think roller coaster.  With big dips.  Dips enough to cause a moment of strong negative G.  Think girl without bra and relatively loose shirt.  Think good roller coaster ride.

Sometimes negatives are positives :2vrolijk_21: .
OK......I just knew you'd have a positive spin on the negative.....that's why it's always a good thing to tune in to this site.  :coolblue: har!  :drink: spyder

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2007, 02:44:46 PM »

It did surely get to sumpin-sumpin miles per hour faster than any Harley I'd ridden before.  ::)

No Harley, but that thrill can be had on a 120" Frontier.
At least up to 120mph!

Above that it's another thrill. (but we is mum on that one)

;D

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.