Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: radio replacement  (Read 4010 times)

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
radio replacement
« on: June 24, 2007, 11:16:21 AM »

does anyone have any ideas or pictures of a radio that will work with my handlebar controls and be able to buy at my local best buy etc...???
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: radio replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 11:26:21 AM »

I recommend the Sony CDX-F50M, You can also add XM or Serius to this unit. I have installed several of these with the Hawg-wired HSA kit which enables the handle bar controls and is a quality billet machined trim bezel to adapt the DIN style radio to the HD opening.

The radio can be obtained from Crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1r18xo5bzDP/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?wm=fp&I=158CDXF50M

The Hawg-wired HSA can be obtained from me, send me a PM if interested.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 11:44:51 AM »

The radio Jim suggests can be a great upgrade in the feature department, but I don't believe it offers the volume increasing option that automatically increases with speed. The other thing I've read is the problem of cd's skipping when the engine is idling, I think Neal had this problem with the same radio in a dragonfly, maybe not a problem in the roadglide. I don't want to be negative here, just want to point out any surprises you might not be aware of.

Roy.....

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 11:52:48 AM »

not really smart in the radio dept?? I suppose the cd your speaking if is a mp3 cd??...is that what mp3 is?? a smaller disc with more recording room?? does the bullit trim come with the radio ?? or is it supplied by hd-dude?? is that your own wiring harness or is company made?? thanks in advance
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 11:55:47 AM »

Reo;
You are correct on the volume increase feature. Not a feature that I feel would be missed. I have installed these in several RG and EG bikes without any issues with skipping. Have not done one in a Dragon fly though...

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 11:59:15 AM »

not really smart in the radio dept?? I suppose the cd your speaking if is a mp3 cd??...is that what mp3 is?? a smaller disc with more recording room?? does the bullit trim come with the radio ?? or is it supplied by hd-dude?? is that your own wiring harness or is company made?? thanks in advance

The CDplayer is the same for the MP3 cd's or music CD's. The MP3 format is used in most digital music players and can be burned to a standard CD that will hold about 110+ songs.

The wiring adapter and trim bezel is made by Hawg-Wired:

http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=36

I am a dealer for these products and offer members a discount as well.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 12:00:47 PM »

Reo;
You are correct on the volume increase feature. Not a feature that I feel would be missed. I have installed these in several RG and EG bikes without any issues with skipping. Have not done one in a Dragon fly though...

Have ridden over a weekend a couple of times a bike without the AVC.  Only real annoyance is after a long cruise you will have thumbed the volume up to hear it going down the road.  Then when you pull in to town somewhere it's suddenly very loud and you're quickly thumbing it back down.  Something you do once or twice a tank full if your out cruising around.  No big deal.

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 11:05:34 PM »

alittle expensive for a wiring conversion harness....just boughr one for my new F-150 and it was 40.00.....biketronics has a kit.....will check their pricing
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 11:15:31 PM »

The biketronics wiring adapter kit works well too. Thier mounting is a POS plastic piece though...and its $199 for it ???

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 11:30:46 AM »

199 for the pos plastic piece, or is that radio and all??
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 05:05:13 PM »

ok...hawg wired offers a marine head unit,which biketronics does not....seems hawg wired also offers a better face mount plate compaired to the plastic pos biketronics offers...bottom line is biketronics install complete is around 350.00...hawg wired is about 500.00 complete install...any pics of a hawg wired already installed??can I use the biketronics adapter kit with the marine unit hawg wired suggest to use.....just trying to save a buck or 2...any pics of a biketronics unit installed to help me with my disision on which to use..thanks,,,headpan
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 12:32:01 AM »

ok...hawg wired offers a marine head unit,which biketronics does not....seems hawg wired also offers a better face mount plate compaired to the plastic pos biketronics offers...bottom line is biketronics install complete is around 350.00...hawg wired is about 500.00 complete install...any pics of a hawg wired already installed??can I use the biketronics adapter kit with the marine unit hawg wired suggest to use.....just trying to save a buck or 2...any pics of a biketronics unit installed to help me with my disision on which to use..thanks,,,headpan

To clarify, Hawg-wired does not sell the unit. I recommended Crutchfield for the Sony units as their pricing and service is really good. The difference between the HW mounting kit and the Biketronics offering is like comparing a Sportster to a CVO Ultra. Not sure how you arrived at your numbers but the Hawg-wired HSA kit complete is 239 retail vs 199 for the Biketronics kit. With the discount I offer the HSA kit comes down to 216. The Sony Deck I suggested is 199 from Crutchfield or Biketronics.

I will have a bike here this weekend that I did the install on with the Sony unit and the HW HSA kit. I will get some pics for you then....

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 01:50:10 PM »

sounds good ,I got the pricing from the web page you posted it said total with savings 289.99 - 49.00 bundle savings.........thanks for your replys...216 bucks sounds real fair
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 11:17:05 PM »

As Promised here are a couple of pics of the Sony deck with the HSA kit installed in a RG.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 11:17:54 PM »

Another Close up...
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.