Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Progressive 12.5 B  (Read 19081 times)

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
Progressive 12.5 B
« on: January 11, 2005, 09:06:48 PM »

Here is how the bike sits with the 12.5 inch Progressive shocks installed    [smiley=biggthumpup.gif]

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Progressive 12.5 B
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 09:09:07 PM »

Another

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 09:19:53 PM »

Here is how the bike sits with the 12.5 inch Progressive shocks installed

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 05:59:41 AM »

Here is how the bike sits with the 12.5 inch Progressive shocks installed
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 07:17:19 AM »

DavidB.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 07:20:19 AM »

Mr., do a search on "Progressive."  There are at least 3 or 4 threads on the subject in the Electra Glide section of the site.  These shocks have been found to dramatically improve the ride and handling of the SEEGs over the stock air shocks and many on the board here have made the switch.

nsrider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 11:09:50 AM »

Looks good DavidB, I also put the 12,5 progressives on mine after my little incident on the Dragons' Tail last summer and I haven't scraped anything since. Mama is much happier and we all know if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 12:32:01 PM »

Speaking strictly from my own experience removing the air shocks and going to the Progressives was the single most important thing I've done to the bike for rideability, control and "feel" of handling.  It was a night-and-day difference.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 12:44:09 PM »

Looks good DavidB, I also put the 12,5 progressives on mine after my little incident on the Dragons' Tail last summer and I haven't scraped anything since. Mama is much happier and we all know if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

David, nsrider, 2lane & others, does the extra 1/2" length really help the clearance that much?  I was set on getting the 12" 440s but now am second-guessing myself.  The reason I was going to stick with the stock ride height is I really don't notice any difference whatsoever in the clearance on this bike vs. my old '02 Electra Glide Classic.  This bike scrapes stuff on the same roads and in the same places as that bike did and it had the regular old 13" shocks on it.  In fact, I would even say that the SEEG is a little better (scrapes less) due to the stiffer suspension (less wallowing, more control).

Also, you're raising the rear up and the stuff that scrapes is more toward the front of the bike, so a 1/2" rise at the rear is going to translate into even less at the jiffy stand or footboard, which adds to my skepticism of the improvement in cornering clearance.

Help me understand! [smiley=help.gif]

RRSteve

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 01:42:28 PM »

Also, you're raising the rear up and the stuff that scrapes is more toward the front of the bike, so a 1/2" rise at the rear is going to translate into even less at the jiffy stand or footboard, which adds to my skepticism of the improvement in cornering clearance.

Help me understand! [smiley=help.gif]

I'm not sure the how much the half inch helped, but I think the progressives make a difference.  They don't compress as quickly and easily as the factory shocks and when you leaning into a hard turn I think they just control the compression much better than the old bottoming out factory jobs. I noticed an improvement with mine and I put the stock (12") 440 progressives on.  All I know for sure is that the ride with the progressive's are much, much, better than the factory shocks. It was better from day one after the install, but was a tad stiff with just me on the bike, but after a couple hundred miles they were perfect. Hitting bumps and not bottoming out is still amazing to me since my old Wideglide bottomed out as bad as the SEEG did with factory shocks.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 02:24:37 PM »

I wouldn't dare offer an answer that was presented as definitive on the extra 1/2" difference in the shocks.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 02:26:42 PM by twolanerider »

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 03:01:26 PM »

I have the 12" chrome version ordered right now. I hope I made the right choice. I will post my opinion after the install and a few miles.  [smiley=laugh.gif]

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 09:41:25 PM »

David, nsrider, 2lane & others, does the extra 1/2" length really help the clearance that much?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 10:02:54 PM »

103 I think you right in saying the 1/2 inch long shock is not really going to help that much in keeping the front floorboards from scraping. I think it helped me more with the jiffy stand. Now when I think its going to drag it doesn`t ,the front floorboards now drag before the jiffy stand and im not going to change the front springs to fix that. I like the lowered look . Its all relative.

I did some figuring and it looks like a .50" longer shock on the rear only efectivily raises the back of the bike at the swingarm by .42"..
The Shock mounts at an angle to the swingarm not at 90 deg.
I can feel the extra height in the saddle.
One thing though, my bike now rides and handles like it should have from the factory.

Im putting a set of Progressives on my Roadking now.

David and others, thanks for the input.  As far as the actual rise due to the angle of the shock to the swingarm, I've forgotten more than I ever learned about geometry, but I was thinking about that aspect as well earlier today.  Based on the .42" that you calculated, I think I'm going to stick with my original thoughts and go with the 12"ers.  

Now then, sorry to be a PIA 'cause I asked this in another thread that I started awhile ago, but where did you guys get 'em from and for what price?  I checked some of the internet sources mentioned in my thread, but on not one of them did I see the 440-4050's listed.  Yeah, I could call them, but a lot of 'net vendors offer free shipping on 'net orders so I don't want to pay more if I don't have to.

Thanks, and I promise to shut up and finally buy some once you tell me your source! [smiley=beerchug.gif]

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 10:41:14 PM »

David and others, thanks for the input.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.