Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Cage turns Left  (Read 2668 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Another Cage turns Left
« on: June 29, 2007, 10:14:12 AM »

Our local Harley Shop in Bellingham has a bunch of riders that work there.

Chuck is a counterman in the parts department and was riding to work on Tuesday and got taken out with a left turning cage.

While coming off the freeway in a tight and slow right hand exit the cage made a left in front of Chuck requiring him to lock it up, which resulted in him highsiding it.  Chuck is no small man (300+), not that size matters, but a high side along with his size didn't help any. 

He suffered a few cracked/broken ribs and some road rash.  He was back to work part time the next day though so hopefully he isn't pushing it too much.

I knew about this the other day as my manager happened on the incident within 30 seconds coming off the same exit and assisted Chuck.  My mgr was on his way to coffee with Bellingham's finest (several motorcycle officers) who were at a nearby coffee shop, so he ran across the street and got them. 

Naturally, the cage was never seen again and most likely didn't even realize what transpired with the turn they made.

The morning after the accident an officer told my mgr. that the guy that went down worked at the HD shop.  I checked in to make sure Chuck was ok and got the details.

My best to Chuck for a speedy recovery.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Another Cage turns Left
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 11:08:37 AM »

Speedy recovery to Chuck - These days you need eyes in the back of your arse >:(

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 11:10:50 AM »

Speedy recovery to Chuck as well.

The cage left hand turn situation is by far the most dangerous for bikers.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 12:08:17 PM »

As the perpetual second bike, I am also very aware that if indeed someone sees a bike in a group of two, they don't always, see the second one.  Or perhaps it is the issue of conflicting pulls for the drivers attention, they see a bike and have no idea that there is more than one, and once my husband bike clears what they are doing, they start the maneuver they want to make.  I am constantly getting cut off or almost ..... run into, run over, run off .... Just something to be aware of. 

So sorry to hear about your friend. Let him know that in this vast virtual world, there are a lot of prayers going out for his speedy and complete recovery. 

I know money is tight and the loyalty to the man who gives you a pay check will have very hurt people back at the job real soon.  Sometimes too soon to have really done a complete assessment of all the ills and pains.  Hope he is looking after his body so his recovery will indeed be complete.

:cherry:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 12:41:56 PM »

Hope your friend has a speedy recovery, Rog...

I saw another rider go down a few months ago, and made me much more aware of another potential trouble spot for us as riders...approaching an exit ramp on a three lane interstate, rider was in right hand lane, but not exiting...cage was in middle lane, decided she wanted to exit, clipped the bikes front end when she tried to go accross his lane, and onto the exit ramp. Guy never had a chance to even get on the brakes. Bike slid about 300 feet...rider came off, had some bad road rash, a few cuts on his forehead (had on a DOT half helmet), lost his shoes (was not wearing boots) so his feet were messed up pretty bad.

So now I make damn sure when approaching exit ramps that the cars around me know I'm there, I stay out of their blind spots, or manuver into a lane where this won't be an issue.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 12:50:14 PM »

Hope your friend has a speedy recovery, Rog...

I saw another rider go down a few months ago, and made me much more aware of another potential trouble spot for us as riders...approaching an exit ramp on a three lane interstate, rider was in right hand lane, but not exiting...cage was in middle lane, decided she wanted to exit, clipped the bikes front end when she tried to go across his lane, and onto the exit ramp. Guy never had a chance to even get on the brakes. Bike slid about 300 feet...rider came off, had some bad road rash, a few cuts on his forehead (had on a DOT half helmet), lost his shoes (was not wearing boots) so his feet were messed up pretty bad.

So now I make damn sure when approaching exit ramps that the cars around me know I'm there, I stay out of their blind spots, or maneuver into a lane where this won't be an issue.

Not always easy to do, but we have an exit that merges to an eastbound interstate from a north bound one.  Problem is it is only a one lane and it handles loads of traffic.

During heavy traffic times I am always amazed at how many people stay in the right lane of the freeway that are actually going straight ahead rather than taking the exit.  It raises heck with the folks taking the exit and since there is an on ramp not to far before the off ramp there is a lot of merging from the middle lane.

There's no correct answer to all of this but the middle lane may give more avenues of escape and eliminate getting whacked by a cell phone talking, latte drinking, mirror gazing idiot that decides to dive off the freeway at the last minute or simply wanders into the next lane due to total ineptitude.

REGGAB

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 09:42:29 AM »

My 1987 crash was a left turn incident.  Of course, the lady who turned in front of me............................didn't see me.  Whatever!!!

hdchic07

• '07 Dyna Street Bob
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 10:59:39 AM »

First, thoughts for a speedy recovery for your friend!

I am also in the same spot as Mrs WeCVO.....always the second bike.  And, like you, am never really seen.....but one day I was alone, and coming onto the interstate.  Short version, a guy in a car, talking on his "hands free" headset, was in the right lane.  I saw him, he wasn't getting over, so I slowed to let him pass.  He slowed with me.  Stayed in my blindspot, slowing down.  I was running out of lane, so I looked over my shoulder and into his eyes.....although he was looking at me, he wasn't "seeing" me.  So I dropped 2 gears and racked em up....and WOKE him up!  I went ahead, and left him in my mirrors.....point being, these cages just don't "see" us, as they are too wrapped up in their own crap...(radio, phone, makeup, kids, etc).  Its up to us to have their eyes, too.  BUT, that is still no excuse....what happened to your friend is just wrong, and sadly, a lot of incidents like this (and others) are simply unavoidable.  Sucks for us, no doubt.  I also know a guy who had someone turn into him....knocked him hard enough that he is on permanent disability, and can't ride due to his back issues.  He is only 40....... >:(
If you don't take that risk, how will you ever know?

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 07:41:44 PM »

Thoughts and prayers out to your friend for a speedy recovery. Too bad this chit happens

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 07:58:47 PM »

The big guy is still sore and hurting, but getting around.  He took advantage of the holiday and took Monday and Tuesday off. 

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Woop De Doo

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 08:39:04 AM »

From another forum, message the same-Watch out for left turning cages.

"Pierce Harley-Davidson co-owner killed in motorcycle crash | 9 comment(s)

DeKALB - A respected DeKalb businessman died in a motorcycle accident around noon Wednesday in western Pennsylvania.

Wayne “Whiz” Pierce, 55, of DeKalb, who ran the Pierce Harley-Davidson dealership at 969 Peace Road in DeKalb with his parents, died as a result of injuries from a collision with a Jeep on Route 18 in Hanover Township, Penn. According to Hanover Township Police Chief Jim Geho, Pierce was traveling south on Route 18 when a woman in a northbound Jeep made a left turn onto Steubenville Pike, and he hit her passenger side.

Described as a major advocate of motorcycle safety by family and friends, he also is remembered as caretaker of his employees and was active in various charitable efforts throughout the community.

“Even if he didn't know you, he'd treat you like you were his best friend,” said Stephanie Seiving, an employee at Pierce Harley-Davidson.

Hanover Township Police are investigating the accident.

Read Friday's Daily Chronicle for more reaction to Pierce's death."

Don S

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 09:13:57 AM »

Hate to hear these reports, especially when they result with the death of the innocent rider.

We know they happen and think we're prepared, you just never know.

When I was 23 I was coming to an intersection when an oncoming car turned on its left blinker.  25 mph zone, I was committed, to close to slow down but on a collision course if they guy turned in front of me.  I throttle up just enough to safely clear the intersection.

Radar cop on the other side of the intersection in my direction.  5 over and no discussion, speeding up is no way to avoid an accident.   :zwtf: I'd do it again today in the same situation.   :soapbox:

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 09:40:20 AM »

what I do to make this left turn problem better.
When I am getting with in 300 feet or so from the bad guy I turn the bike and aim right at them. When you see his head pop up and look at you, go back to the left side of you lane and high then low the head light. if they never pop up and look at you, then start stopping. He will turn on you almost ever time. I know some of you won't try this, but I know it works. When they see a motorcycle coming right at them they grab the wheel and their eyes get real big. And they just freeze. Some wave at you as you go by. They are very friendly and I guess they have finger cramps or something like that because they have only one finger when they wave.  :nixweiss:

good riding
SLASH

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.