Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Protection from salt air  (Read 9288 times)

REGGAB

Re: Protection from salt air
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 12:01:38 AM »

There is something that nearly everyone here in Okinawa uses to keep their bike looking its best and that is to take it to a shop that Teflon coats the whole bike a couple of times a year.  It is not perfect and does not take away all of the responsibility but eases the pain tremendously.  Around here nearly everywhere is near the beach.

Seegarz :2vrolijk_21: :bananarock:

Treat it just like an aircraft.  Plenty of fresh water rinses, and CorrosionX on all exposed, unprotected metal.  You'll be fine.

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 04:37:13 AM »

use the Harley Bubble :2vrolijk_21:

Pbody

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 08:55:28 PM »

There is something that nearly everyone here in Okinawa uses to keep their bike looking its best and that is to take it to a shop that Teflon coats the whole bike a couple of times a year.  It is not perfect and does not take away all of the responsibility but eases the pain tremendously.  Around here nearly everywhere is near the beach.

Seegarz :2vrolijk_21: :bananarock:

Seegarz...

That guy, Andy, stopped that service about a year ago--nobody here in Okinawa has taken his place.  I know--I've been looking at this option here for the past couple of months.  Anyway, while researching the product recommended by folks here, Glare, I ran across a memo posted from DuPont, saying the Teflon has no value in protection against corrosion.  I can't locate that link right now.  After reading about the Glare, and based on recommendations here, I'm sold.  I just haven't found a way to get it over here yet.

I've got my baby coated with silicon, sitting in my garage, waiting to finish the Japanese paperwork/inspection process.  I'm spending way too much time staying ahead of the corrosion on my 02 Ultra--and I still find new little specks at every wash.  I sure hope this Glare does the trick.

Later.
Pbody...
2007 Smurf SEUC, Birthdate 9/11/06

Proud to be an American Infidel!

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2007, 04:31:16 AM »

Seegarz...After reading about the Glare, and based on recommendations here, I'm sold.  I just haven't found a way to get it over here yet....

Can't you just get it mailed to you at your APO address (or whatever address po box the military gives you in Japan?)  I can't speak of the chome protection, have not tried it yet, but I just put Glare on the painted parts of my husband's '04 bike.  You can't fix the paint chips, obviously, but the rest of the parts look brand new. The feel is like glass, as they advertise, and the look is deep and lustrious.  I don't know what we can do to help you, but if there is some way, please holler.  Well holler in August - we are headed to Nelson right now, but I gotta think we can get some wax over to our fellow military members, somehow. 

Others have any suggestions?   :nixweiss:  If these guys are doing what they do for us, surely we can do something back to help them out, and to save a brother/sister CVO bike from getting coroded while their owners are serving our country. 

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2007, 05:19:07 AM »

Pbody,
I ordered some Glare and had them mail it to my APO box, and haven't gotten an e-mail that says that they can't ship here, yet.  I could check the place that my friends used to get their bike coated at...may not help but they swore by it.  I ordered the Glare stuff from the link earlier in this post.  Hope it helps...I have some on the way for my cage (BAD oxidation) and I am sure there will be more than enough if you want to use some.

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

REGGAB

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007, 06:19:56 AM »

Pbody,
I ordered some Glare and had them mail it to my APO box, and haven't gotten an e-mail that says that they can't ship here, yet.  I could check the place that my friends used to get their bike coated at...may not help but they swore by it.  I ordered the Glare stuff from the link earlier in this post.  Hope it helps...I have some on the way for my cage (BAD oxidation) and I am sure there will be more than enough if you want to use some.

Seegarz

Good on ya Seegars.  Like Mrs. We said, if they can't get it to you, ley us know............and we will.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 04:45:32 PM »

S 100 makes a great anti corrosion  spray pn SM16300A  it works great on motor trany and parts you think may rust or corrode ..  PS had a buddy leave his bike out at MBSCBW wile staying ocean front ,less than a week latter every nut and bolt had a white corrosion on it he was a bit pissed.....

Rhino

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2007, 12:28:10 AM »

Absolutely corect on the COrrosion X. Always keep a bottle around. I use a q-tip and hit all the bolts every 6 months or so. For the paint and wheel protection, I find ReJEx is good, and so is Glare. They both work and literally seal the paint well, and hold a phenom shine. Salt will rinse right off.

Rhino

For all of your unpainted parts like fasteners, you might want to try CorrosionX.  We use it in the military aviation industry.  http://corrosionx.com/  It is available online shipped to your door exempt from 49 CFR as ORMD since it is an aerosol shipped in excepted quantities.

hogasm

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2007, 12:23:27 PM »

Corrosion X

We live .5 miles from the Atlantic Ocean

use it on all the boats and the fastners on the bikes

Pbody

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2007, 07:57:27 PM »

Can't you just get it mailed to you at your APO address (or whatever address po box the military gives you in Japan?)  I can't speak of the chome protection, have not tried it yet, but I just put Glare on the painted parts of my husband's '04 bike.  You can't fix the paint chips, obviously, but the rest of the parts look brand new. The feel is like glass, as they advertise, and the look is deep and lustrious.  I don't know what we can do to help you, but if there is some way, please holler.  Well holler in August - we are headed to Nelson right now, but I gotta think we can get some wax over to our fellow military members, somehow. 

Others have any suggestions?   :nixweiss:  If these guys are doing what they do for us, surely we can do something back to help them out, and to save a brother/sister CVO bike from getting coroded while their owners are serving our country. 

Mrs,WeCVO.
Thank you, I appreciate the confirmation of how well that stuff works, and greatly appreciate your offer to help out. 

I got the idea from the "ultrapolish.com" website that they did not ship via U.S.Mail--guess I was wrong.  Several places I've looked into getting parts from either ship solely via UPS or FEDEX, or they can't be bothered taking the parts to the Post Office and filling out that customs form.

Anyway, I've already contacted Mark at M&M Cycles to order some from him via Kuryakyn.  He just sent back that he can sell the Professional Polish for about 15% discount--$29.74 versus the advertised $34.95.  I'm also going to get the Rapid Action and Spider through him, at similar discount.  I've used his service before, so I know he ships here via US Mail and he has great customer service.

Have a great trip to Nelson.  Be sure to post a couple pix--those of us OCONUS sure do miss the riding opportunities you guys have.  The pictures our CVO Brothers and Sisters post of the country, their bikes and themselves are awesome.

Take care.
Pbody...

Pbody

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2007, 08:04:57 PM »

Pbody,

Seegarz

Thanks Seegarsmkr...  I had the impression they didn't use US Mail.  I'll have to go back and see where I went wrong.  Anyway, I hope to get some from M&M Cycles by end of next week.  Mark and his company are pretty quick on the response and shipping times.  Thanks for offering to let me try some of your Glare.  Now that I found the path through M&M, and the discount, I should be good to go.

Take care.
Pbody...

Pbody

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2007, 08:17:18 PM »

Good on ya Seegars.  Like Mrs. We said, if they can't get it to you, ley us know............and we will.

Thanks REGGAB...  I really appreciate this offer.  Folks like you and Mrs. We, who are willing to go out of their way to help someone they haven't actually met, really do make this world a better place.  And I think being part of this forum, with the information and support being shared here, is a huge benefit of owning a CVO.

Take care.
Pbody...

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2007, 08:25:20 PM »

No Problem,
What ever I have is yours...but if you take my wife...keep her... :oops: :huepfenlol2:

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Pbody

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2007, 08:34:10 PM »

For all of your unpainted parts like fasteners, you might want to try CorrosionX.  We use it in the military aviation industry.  http://corrosionx.com/  It is available online shipped to your door exempt from 49 CFR as ORMD since it is an aerosol shipped in excepted quantities.

Hey REGGAB... 
Which of the 3 choices do you recommend, General Purpose, Aviation or Heavy Duty?  I'm leaning toward the Heavy Duty, but want an opinion based on your experience. 

I want to have the day-to-day protection, but I also want something that I can apply and leave on for several weeks, when I have to deploy somewhere.  I don't want to worry about long term paint or rubber damage, while shielding said paint and chrome/metals from the environment.

Thanks.
Pbody...

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 09:52:19 PM »

I am in the same condition...thanks for the information.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.