Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: SERK Aux Lighting  (Read 8989 times)

bpalmersheim

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames
SERK Aux Lighting
« on: July 05, 2007, 10:23:04 PM »

I would like to add the auxilary lighting to my SERK, but there seems to be about 5-8 different ones offered for the Touring models.  I would like to find the right one that looks the best.  I do not want to relocate my turn signals from the handle bars to below the lights.

Had anyone installed the lights on their SERK yet without relocating the turn signals?

I am considering this mount as it doesn't have the brace the runs under the headlight, but not sure if it is compatible with the detachable windshield...  I know in the pic they are demonstrating the turn signal mount, but I am interested in the aux light mount.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448765790&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309173238&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309173238&bmUID=1183688396236&bmLocale=en_US

Anyone with any pictured of what it actually looks like on a SERK?

Thanks!
2007 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames

United States Army Retired (4x Combat Veteran)
CVMA, H.O.G. Member, Patriot Guard Rider

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: SERK Aux Lighting
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 11:03:34 PM »

Try this part number: 69227-04A   That is the actual spot light bracket kit (does not include spotlight bulbs, rings, or turn signals).  There is another hardware kit required, different # depending on w/shield or no w/shield, listed on the page with the bracket kit.  http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448765789&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302290631&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302290631&bmUID=1183690901545&bmLocale=en_US

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

harleync

• 2010 Street Glide
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 06:38:26 AM »

HERE IN THE PART NUMBERS I USED
AUXILIARY LAMP KIT 69289-05 $184.95
HALOGEN BUBS 68208-98 $67.95
VISOR TRIM RINGS 69732-05 $45.95

I NEED TO BUY THE HEADLAMP VISOR TRIM RING BUT SO FAR I LIKE IT WITH OUT IT..
 THE PASSING LIGHTS PLUG INTO THE NACELLE.. EVERYTHING WAS PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD.
THE LIGHTS REALLY LOOK GREAT AND GIVE YOU PLENTY OF LIGHT AT NIGHT AND LOOKS LIKE A 747 GOING DOWN THE ROAD WITH THE TURN SINGALS ON THE HANDLE BARS..
FORGIVE ME ABOUT THE PIC...ITS THE ONLY PIC I HAVE OF THE LIGHTS..
BE SAFE MICHAEL

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 08:14:40 AM »

I've just had this mounting bracket fitted to my Serk, but I have relocated the turn signals as well. I don't see any reason why this bracket shouldn't be ok with just the passing lamps, but I'll check it out when I pick my bike up later on today.

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

harleync

• 2010 Street Glide
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 08:19:57 AM »

WHEN YOU HAVE THEM INSTALLED...POST SOME PIC

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 08:46:59 AM »

BP; I just went through this very same install. Will post pics and part #s later today.

leoniru

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 10:52:40 AM »

BP;
Here's what I used on my '07 SERK CaCo Blue (the nicer color!).

1. Custom Passing Lamp Bracket Kit HD part # 69227-04A    $283.95 ( I chose this style as I didn't care for the type with bottom tubular support strut --as in the above pic)

2. Auxillary Lamp Bulb Kit(pair)        HD part # 68348-05      $67.95  (The reflector style on these matches the SERK's headlight reflector, and they have replaceable halogen bulbs)

3. Passing Lamp(pair)
    VISOR STYLE Trim Rings            HD part # 69732-05      $45.95  (I chose this style of retaining ring/light molding/trim ring--other styles will work)

4. Hardware Kit                           HD part # 69235-04      $  9.95  (Required for bikes with quick detach windshield. Merely longer bolts.)

And to help you avoid the several 'snags' I experienced, here are some tips:

1. Do not leave the dealership with out the trim or retaining rings!! My dealer's parts man didn't tell me they weren't included in the kit, and the outside labeling on the box does not say they
    are NOT included in the kit! The kit's directions tell you to REUSE your old trim rings and lighting elements! What, they assume all people already have existing aux. lights and are just changing
    bracket styles? Grrrrrr. One extra trip to the dealer.

2. The stock bike has acorn nuts on studs for the existing windshield docking hardware. The needed hardware kit (part # 69235-040 has longer (1/4" maybe) torx driven screws. If you want to preserve the look of the acorn style nuts, one will either have to track down longer studs or fashion your own from threaded  rod. I can't remember the pitch just now). To remove the studs I tightened two compatibly threaded nuts(tighten against each other) onto the outer threaded portion of the stud to remove them. Some came out with the acorn nut, but others didn't. There was some type of thread lock compound on them and I reapplied some on reassembly. You know how these bikes vibrate.

3. There are two spacers (thick washers) included in the hardware of the passing lamp kit, and these must be located as indicated in the directions on the lower mounting bolts only( none on the top two )  between the windshield docking grommet(bushing) and the nacelle. The single very thick washer is not used on our bikes.

4.  Make sure you tighten the nylon lock nut on the bottom of each lamp housing stud securely enough (but not so tight that you can't reposition the lights) BEFORE you thread the wire through the hollow stud, otherwise you won't be able to fit a socket to retighten later when you find out they are not tight enough to maintain position. I had to modify an open end wrench so I wouldn't have to disassemble everything.   

5. Like you, I did NOT relocate my turn signals. I felt that being further apart up on the handlebars was better and I didn't want to mess with the internal bar wiring. So I 'plugged' the unused open
 holes (in the brackets) with the torx head screws (and nuts) intended for the turnsignal's mounting on the new bracket. You will have the "directional standoff" part leftover from each side.

6. I leave the actual routing of the wires to you, but once inside your headlight, you will want to tie your new light's single (per side) grey wire into the auxillary switch located on the right rear of your nacelle (referenced from the operator's position). My bike has an unused  switch on each side and the dealer was no help in telling me which one was to be used.

I've attached a few pics. If you need any other guidance you can PM me as needed.

Have fun.

leoniru

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 10:54:58 AM »

Another pic

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 10:58:39 AM »

One showing the left bracket in relation to the quick detach windshield docking grommets.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 11:53:15 AM »

I can't believe they have you run the wire where the deatachable windshield mounts. I'm not liking that too much. If you take the windshield on/off a lot, I can see chafing these wires. I'm concerned even about normal vibration eating thru these wires. If someone relocated those wires anywhere else, please let us know where. Thanks. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

bpalmersheim

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 01:11:06 PM »

One showing the left bracket in relation to the quick detach windshield docking grommets.

Thank You, Thank You!  Exactly what I was looking for.  Looks sweet!

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 01:11:37 PM »

Hoist;

The kit comes with a vinyl tubing type material to slip over the wire(s). This is the black you see in the pics. Unless I'm missing something here (always a good bet!), the only way to 'properly'(and invisibly) run the wires would involve hole drilling --- something I prefer not to do at this time.

leoniru

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 01:15:20 PM »

Hoist;

The kit comes with a vinyl tubing type material to slip over the wire(s). This is the black you see in the pics. Unless I'm missing something here (always a good bet!), the only way to 'properly'(and invisibly) run the wires would involve hole drilling --- something I prefer not to do at this time.

leoniru

Exactly Leon, I did the same, but that vinyl covering won't hold up forever. I didn't want to drill anything either and couldn't find another way to route the wires. Another thing to keep an eye on, I guess! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

bpalmersheim

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 01:39:53 PM »

Could I get a side shot and maybe some random shots to see how the visors look in contrast with the whole bike.  I like the look.

It appears that you replaced the headlight trim ring with a visor as well, is that correct?

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 07:50:18 AM »

BP;

Yes, I went for the 'Frenched' look with the visors on both the auxillary lights and headlight. The headlight visor is HD part # 69733-05  $38.95. My only quibble with it is that I can't seem to get the 'gap' (located at 1800) to close tight enough for my liking. This visor does not replace your stock one, but rather goes over top of it.
The 'gap' or split on the visors for the auxillary lights closed tightly.
It does give the bike a s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out look, especially with the windshield off.
Speaking of the windshield, I am now 'tethering' mine since it was blown off by a landing helicopter thereby damaging my front fender. This happened even after I deliberately tightened-up the retaining clips as recommended by another owner who had his (larger) windscreen blown off by a gust of wind. For now, I'm just using some nylon lacing running from the wire clip on one side to the other. I will find something more attractive in the form of chain or braid. The warning word here is 'detachable'.
I'll take and post some additional pics of the visors later today.

leoniru
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.