Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: More detailed info please  (Read 8395 times)

rturn2mow

• HOG
More detailed info please
« on: December 17, 2003, 01:05:25 AM »

Can anyone give me a breakdown of what parts make up the engine that comes on the FLHTSCE? ???
Basically what heads, pistons, cams, ect ect.
Here is my interest...I have an '02 Road King Classic that has the 1550 High Output (for those who dont know, it is much much more than just the "big bore kit" it has heads and I upgraded to SE high compression pistons). I also changed to SE pushrods and valve springs, along with the SE Race tuner on the EFI. The only parts not SE are the pipes, I have a set of Kerker (who makes the SE performance pipes for Harley, but the Kerkers have more flow and are a cheaper name to buy) The bikes been set up like this for over a year and I have not encountered too many Harleys that can even run with me (please note I am not trying to be cocky :-[). Nobody with a Screaming Eagle Road King has touched me, even with pipes and breather. I am an Officer in a local HOG Chapter and have ridden with 3 of those bikes, all that were configured differently, one stock, one with SE pipes and breather and the other with a Vance and Hines set up.
I have an '04 FLHTSCE coming in April and wondered if I am wasting my money on this bike as far as performance goes. I am sure this will start a debate, but speed is very important to me. I love all the other aspects of the bike, like the paint and all the goodies it comes with and the fact that its limited production. My real question I guess is even though it comes with the "stroker", am I gonna have to change the heads, cams and such again on this bike to get what I want or does it come set up hot from the factory with only a restriced breather and exhaust to make the govt happy?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
If it appears that I would have to rebuy all the goods, maybe I will just wait until next year when a Revolution powered tourer comes out...so I hear...Thanks all!
Rick
'04 Ultra
'02 FLHRCI w/Big Bore HO kit w/SE Peformance Heads, flat top forged pistons, SE257 cams, SE Race tuner, Kerker pipes, SE adjustable pushrods, high performance clutch, SE springs, touring oil cooler and lotsa chrome.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: More detailed info please
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 09:13:16 AM »

There's a thread under the FLHRSEI Road King forum regarding the 103" motor.  

As the old saying goes.......there's no substitute for cubic inches.  Does that mean stock that it's a torque monster?  No.....it still has to get by the EPA and CARB (which is more strict than the EPA).  It will probably hang with your 95" in it's current state.  Then you start changing things like high flow air cleaner and a 2 into 1 exhaust (we all know that no dual exhaust will flow the same CF as the 2 into 1.....if performance is what's important to you) you're going to notice a huge difference.  And you can keep going from there, heads, cams.....how far do you want to go and how fast?

If speed is all that matters, keep your current bike and get one of those 125" motors and put in it.

As for a revolution motor in a touring bike.......I wouldn't hold my breath.  According to HD (they're still preaching it) the two families will never cross bread.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 09:52:48 AM »

I will be happy with the bike stock, throwing the Screaming Chicken pipes, air cleaner and HD flash and if I get a little more it will all be icing!  :D
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

re-tread

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 10:22:10 AM »

The parts of the bike are a secret. I ordered the parts manual and it lists only the replacement numbers. Callled C. Serv at HD and they told me the Cam, Heads are "prioritized" meaning it was not available to the buying public. "huh?" So good luck with finding out what heads are in the bike, except to say they are built for EPA rather then acceleration.
I'm disappointed in the performance. I changed the pipes to V & H, added SE air cleaner and the Racing Module. The bike is quick, but won't do what I thought it should. Most after purchase Strokers wil do a job on this bike because, they have the right heads and pistons, in other words the people who build them did not have the EPA standards to deal with.

It's a great looking bike though! But if I had to do it over again, I'd build one :D
SE air box
Reinharts
Race Tuner

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 04:11:20 PM »

Yea, but this bike (I am hoping) due to it's lower compression and cam, etc. will hold out better, so again I keep telling myself...

I will be more than happy as I stated before.  It's better than stock!   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black

re-tread

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2003, 04:53:42 PM »

absolutely correct, you'll enjoy it - and I think it will hold value better then most  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
SE air box
Reinharts
Race Tuner

rturn2mow

• HOG
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2003, 05:11:48 PM »

What is evidently clear is that alot of people buy these bikes for different reasons and one persons idea of performance is different than anothers....and its all good...we all ride Harley and love it. I am more of a performance guy soooooo..I went to my dealership today and asked some insiders this question. Almost all mechanics and parts guys (all asked seperately in confidence) concurred that if you are looking for performance, the best thing to do would be to buy a regular ElectraGlide Standard (but now I am thinking maybe that sweet redesigned RoadGlide) and put the 103 CI Stroker HO kit into it. Every one of them said the cam in the FLHTCSE is just barely a step above the stock. There is only some other very mild engine massaging done but thats it (of course the stroker crank). They also stated that with just a breather and pipes one would be lucky to get about anymoe than 100 rw hp outta one of the SE bikes. Stock they are around 83. This is confirmed on page 446 of the '04 parts catalog and the description and accompanying graph for the part kit on that page. If one were to buy the non SE bike and put the kit I mentioned on it with the SE race tuner, they could get 125 hp or more. The head mechanic told me you could build a brand new bike very similar to the FLHTSCE for a lot less money and it would be much faster.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 05:13:42 PM by rturn2mow »
Rick
'04 Ultra
'02 FLHRCI w/Big Bore HO kit w/SE Peformance Heads, flat top forged pistons, SE257 cams, SE Race tuner, Kerker pipes, SE adjustable pushrods, high performance clutch, SE springs, touring oil cooler and lotsa chrome.

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2003, 12:40:14 PM »

Thoughts I am sure we all have had, but for me the SE is the way to go to inlcude bang for the buck...
John "JFScheck" Scheck

Kingsalmon

• Senior CVO Member
  • HD gets too much of my money
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003, 07:04:51 PM »

I was getting a little queezy in the stomach everytime I thought of how much I was going to pay for a bike.
I would just look at the list of stuff that comes with it and felt a little better.
Everytime I ride the bike now I like it more and more. I have no regrets.
I had ordered an 03 road glide, then an 04 road glide and was going to punch it out until I saw this bike. If you do the math on what you are getting with the FLHTCSE compared to setting up a road glide the same you won't come close. I mean paint, chrome and motor. I have 2 friends that juiced up their bikes and they haul ass but have spent a lot of extra time in the shop. It is a Harley and I will take all the dependability I can get. I can live with being faster that 95% or the harleys and all my bros on the road. If I get beat too much I'll treat myself to some hot rod goodies. Harley has flooded the market with so many bikes that people don't notice them anymore. People gather around when you pull up on this thing.

[smiley=bigok.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2003, 01:56:08 AM »

That queezy in the stomach feeling.....the same feeling I got just before I bought the house that I live in (I have a couple rentals, also), just before I bought my last Ultra Classic (and then put another $10,000 into it) and just before I bought my Harley truck.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 01:57:05 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2003, 08:32:11 AM »

Yah you might as well enjoy the time we spend on the bike and I spend alot (daily rider). [smiley=1syellow1.gif]  What we spend on the bike tayloring it too us or making them faster is less we have to share with the wife or leave to the kids when we go the big rally in the sky.  
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2003, 05:37:25 PM »

2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2003, 08:35:48 AM »

Life Insurance [smiley=nixweiss.gif]do we need that,  nah let them fend for them selves.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2003, 12:18:06 PM »

Cabo and Magoo have to be single....if they're not, they're working towards it (let there lady read the above two posts)! LOL [smiley=beerchug.gif]

West Coast GTG   

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2003, 12:26:12 PM »

Pfft...the wife got the roadking!
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2003, 02:07:51 PM »

Ditto here

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 21 queries.