Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: '07 SERK Build Date vs Problems  (Read 3254 times)

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
'07 SERK Build Date vs Problems
« on: July 22, 2007, 10:11:28 PM »

I'm wondering if it would be useful to compile a data base for SERKs showing each bike's build date and a brief (succinct?) list of any and all problems with each bike, and the mileage at the time of the problems appearance.
Maybe we can identify periods of problem-prone production runs. Might help some of us to know that other owners with the same or close build dates had a particular or multiple failures. We could be on the lookout for it and possibly take preventive action.
For instance, my CaCo bike has a 3/07 build date. So far, my problems have been minor compared to others. Only a missing saddle bag reflector; poorly balanced wheels; wrong cover; and intermittently erratic idle (still occasionally happens). Total mileage is about 1,650 at present.
Does this seem to indicate that I've got good barrels/head gaskets/crank assembly with my 'later' build date?
What do you folks think? Worth doing or not?

leoniru 

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
Re: '07 SERK Build Date vs Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 08:23:06 PM »

I'm wondering if it would be useful to compile a data base for SERKs showing each bike's build date and a brief (succinct?) list of any and all problems with each bike, and the mileage at the time of the problems appearance.
Maybe we can identify periods of problem-prone production runs. Might help some of us to know that other owners with the same or close build dates had a particular or multiple failures. We could be on the lookout for it and possibly take preventive action.
For instance, my CaCo bike has a 3/07 build date. So far, my problems have been minor compared to others. Only a missing saddle bag reflector; poorly balanced wheels; wrong cover; and intermittently erratic idle (still occasionally happens). Total mileage is about 1,650 at present.
Does this seem to indicate that I've got good barrels/head gaskets/crank assembly with my 'later' build date?
What do you folks think? Worth doing or not?

leoniru 
Mine was 8/06. No engine issues, did the mods rightaway. Plenty of other minor yet very IRRITATING warranty issues (fuel pump replaced, speedo replaced, fuel sensor replaced). Runs good.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 08:34:20 PM »

8/06  Bad headlight Hi/lo switch, bad rear tire, bad rear pulley, wrong driver's backrest, head gasket, head gasket, tranny leaky and it's not over.
Check the post today of the 2008 105th anniversary SEUC that died at 10 miles with no oil pressure.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 08:54:31 PM »

Thanks for responding guys. For a while there, I thought I insulted everyone's mother as there were zero replies posted. I know this may in some ways be redundant, and perhaps even painful. Might even have therapeutic aspects as we share the 'pain'. At the very least, it will all be in one thread.
I think it could provide useful data. Too bad the MoCo won't provide all us CVO owners with the data I'm talking about. You know they're compiling it somewhere. Guess they figure they'd be overwhelmed with requests for parts tolerance checks replacements, and so on!

Kojak2;
How was your fuel pump determined to be faulty (did it just up and quit altogether, or did it not provide adequate pressure?) and what fuel sensor are you refering to?

leoniru

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 08:59:38 PM »

My build was done in 10/06 and I have 5,100 miles on it, no engine mods yet, and did not have any problems except the nuetral indicator needs adjustment.  I will be getting mods done soon.  Rich

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 09:07:10 PM »

built 11/06,  bleeder for hydro clutch was loose on delivery and lost all fluid(and clutch),  but had just made it to dealer.  rear plug fouled with oil at 3000. leak down test showed nothing, but dealer ordered all gaskets in case.(winter work)  speedo acts up once in a great while(twice),  at dead stop,reads 20 mph.

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 09:11:16 PM »

It's all well documented here for me. Here's a little Summary:

Build Date:1/07

Problems to date:
Broken Starter Ring Gear and Starter-Replaced entire Clutch assembly and new chrome starter, cost me $100 for the extra for the chrome. W.....ty covered everything else.
Leaking head gasket and Rocker Box Noise-Replaced both Cylinders and Pistons and Clearanced Rocker Boxes. Covered under W.....ty.
Odometer crapped out in Speedo-Replaced with the Black Face, Programmable Multi-colored one-cost me $30 for the extra for this speedo. W.....ty covered the stock replacement cost.

With that said, and the length of time it's all been taking, it's still the best riding RK ever! I'm doing plenty of things on my own to enhance that and make things stronger and more reliable. The bike is what it is, as HD's always have been. Know what you're getting into upfront, and enjoy making it better and yours, instead of bitching and fighting w/the MoCo! It's frustrating knowing you're gonna spend some more $$$ after you buy to do this. But it's your bike, so make it the best it can be! You'll be happier in the end! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 09:23:28 PM »

Hoist;
I agree these bikes seem to be bipolar --- mostly due to poor parenting by the MoCo.  I can't believe what a difference a Clearview windshield and those dynabeads in the tires has made on my bike.
Now that the death rattles have been tamed, I actually want to screw that throttle open at higher speeds.
Hope your build is coming along.

leoniru

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 09:30:03 PM »

Build date sometime in July, delivery held up until late August.

2 days after delivery Clutch Hose loose at Transmission lost all fluid on Interstate.
Clutch Hose renewed due leak clear covering turned white.
Head Gaskets renewed 6/25/07 along with machining rocker boxes for clearance.
Neck bearings loose adjusted by dealer.

Going in for rear tire 7/25, change for normal wear. Going to trying and get warranty on front tire. Has strange looking wear pattern, really dished out on right and left side of center.

I notice they dropped the e3 Radial in the new Parts book. Replace with (07A) it is a D407 like the rear tire.  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 10:02:49 AM »

Build date of 11/06.

Bike arrived at dealer with scratches on the front fender and one of the side covers.

Reflectors on the saddle bags fell off the first time I opened the bags.  (Saved me the effort of taking the off)

While having other engine work done in March the Service Tech noticed the clearancing issue with the valve springs, and that my cylinders were out of tolerance (they weren't round).

Speedo replaced in April.

Front brake caliper came apart while riding in July.  This was the dealers fault.  I had the chrome calipers installed and apparently, they forgot to tighten everything up.  That little brain cramp will cost them a new front wheel for my bike.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 08:41:21 PM »

built 11/06,  bleeder for hydro clutch was loose on delivery and lost all fluid(and clutch),  but had just made it to dealer.  rear plug fouled with oil at 3000. leak down test showed nothing, but dealer ordered all gaskets in case.(winter work)  speedo acts up once in a great while(twice),  at dead stop,reads 20 mph.
My speedo was doing the same thing then resetting itself. I had Harley replace it. Take a picture next time it reads 20mph at a deadstop and show it to the service manager and they will get you a replacement.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 08:44:19 PM »

Thanks for responding guys. For a while there, I thought I insulted everyone's mother as there were zero replies posted. I know this may in some ways be redundant, and perhaps even painful. Might even have therapeutic aspects as we share the 'pain'. At the very least, it will all be in one thread.
I think it could provide useful data. Too bad the MoCo won't provide all us CVO owners with the data I'm talking about. You know they're compiling it somewhere. Guess they figure they'd be overwhelmed with requests for parts tolerance checks replacements, and so on!

Kojak2;
How was your fuel pump determined to be faulty (did it just up and quit altogether, or did it not provide adequate pressure?) and what fuel sensor are you refering to?

leoniru
Fuel pump(they call it something else now) was not providing adequate pressure, discovered during dyno tuning by a smart tech. The fuelsensor was for the lcd gas gauge that wasnt working.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »

My spedo does the same thing. Not sure if it is the sequence of turnig on  and off. But when it sdes it it also reads 20 mp[h more all the time. Just have to turn the bike off and start again. YOu will see the spedo bounce back to 0. never can make it do it at the dealer. Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

BlueFlames

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 flhrse3 blue
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 06:47:03 PM »

My build date was 7/06.

I hope I do not regret saying this, but I have not had any problems......YET!!!
"Chrome is like clevage.......too much is not enough"

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 06:49:19 PM »

better knock on some wood.  AND QUICKLY :apple:

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.