Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10 [All]

Author Topic: Heat Demons  (Read 37278 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Heat Demons
« on: August 05, 2007, 11:39:14 PM »

Well, looks like I am the first to get these installed...worked on it off and on yesterday afternoon and today.  Sorry, no pictures...Diva is visiting her daughter in Tampa, so did not have a photographer to document the event.  I'll try and hit the high points...this is for 06/07 bikes that already have the heated grips...earlier/different models would be virtually the same process.  Since we have internal wiring, IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO DRILL ANY HOLES IN THE BARS!!  All wires from the new controller will fit into the existing holes for the switch harnesses.

On the Batwings, remove outer fairing, radio, CB, XM, etc to gain access to the middle part of the handlebars...you will need the space to pull the wires.  Remove clutch and brake reservoir/levers and let them dangle by the lines.  Take the screws out of the switch covers on both sides and let them dangle as well.  I installed the Heat Demon switch on the right side, as I already have the Legend Air switch on the left.  It will work both ways...the instructions assume you are putting it on the left, taking the place of the clutch assembly clamp.  DO NOT forget to put a spacer between the brake lever and the brake switch on the right side before removing (a piece of cardboard box works well, about 1" square).  If you have non functioning HD heated grips on the bike, unplug the connections  where the wiring comes out of the hole in the middle of the bars, on top of the bar risers.  If you've ever thought about changing bars, now would be a good time to do so, as this would be much easier on the bench than mounted on the bike.  I just clipped the connectors off the stock grips to use for the new heater connections.  Yank, pull, cuss the old grips off the bike, after releasing throttle cable tension, and removing cables from old grips. 

The little flat plastic fish tape they provide actually works quite well for fishing the wires...just wet it with a bit of Windex prior to inserting...this will provide a bit of lubricant to help it slide past all the other wires in the bars.  Push fish tape in whichever end you're putting the controller on, and out the other end...fairly easy.  Pull the yellow and white wires on one of the heating elements through to the other side, leaving spare hanging out the end.  Insert this element inside the end of the bar, then pull the slack out from the other end.  The elements fit tightly...put the gap on bottom so all the heat will travel upwards through the metal.  After they are inserted, the gap is small...maybe 1/4", if that.

Insert fish tape from the controller end until you can pull it out of the middle hole in the bars, on top of the risers.  Pull red and black power wires into bars...excess wire inside the fairing, leaving about 4 or 5 inches hanging out the controller end.  Insert controller wires into existing switch harness holes, and push out the end of the bar.  I put a piece of shrink wrap on the controller wires in case of chaffing. You should now have Yellow, White, Black, Red, and all the controller wires hanging out the controller side of the bars.  Make all connections on the controller, and elements...I used the little connectors provided.  They actually worked quite well, and I'm not a big fan of those type things, but these are different than I've used before, containing dialectic grease that squeezes out when you've got them right.

On my bike, I then wired up the old power supply for the HD heated grips to the Red and Black wires (they are shrink wrapped).  If you look at the wiring diagram, the triangular shaped Deutch connector has Black, Red, O/W wires...you only need the Black and Red...they are fed from the 5 amp fuse on the main fuse block.  Others will need to find a different switched connection to power everything up.  It's a good idea at this point to wire everything up and test operation of the controller and heating elements.  I used jumpers to do this.  This power supply is hot when the ignition switch is in the on position, or to the Accy position, so if you play your radio while it's cold weather and you're washing/servicing your scoot, and you've had the heaters on, don't forget to turn them off!!  They pull 3 Amps, so the 5 Amp fuse should be just right.

After everything checks out, make your final connections up, then insert the heating element for the controller side of the bars into the end of the bar, folding up all the wires on the inside of the element, then just stick it all in.  This concerned me a bit, but the inside of the element does not get hot enough to damage the wiring (let's hope).

Put everything back together, adjust controlls to suit you, ensure the throttle cables are functioning fully, adjust as needed.  You might lube the cables while you've got this all apart, and grease the steering neck too.  Sew it all back up and you're done.

Not a hard job, just aggravating, so grab a couple of brewskies, smoke 'em if you got 'em, and take your time.

The heaters work really well!!!  I think they get a bit hotter than the HD grips did, even when they were new.  There are four settings on the controller, amber, amber, red, red, then off.  If the LED's are too bright to suit you, hold the switch down for 3 seconds and the next time you switch them on, they will be much dimmer....probably nice for night operation.

I'm really going to enjoy these, and hope they are the last heaters I have to fool with on the bike.  Pretty simple parts, but effective.  Time will tell on the durability, but if they last, these will be nice for all bikes, not just the baggers. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: Heat Demons
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 11:42:32 PM »

7 year warranty, I hope the grips are covered under it, I'm not sure I can buy enough beer to do that job. :huepfenlol2:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 11:56:49 PM »

7 year warranty, I hope the grips are covered under it, I'm not sure I can buy enough beer to do that job. :huepfenlol2:

The grips are covered, Rog....but because of my mods to the Legend Switch, and running it internally through the bars, I didn't want the richard head HD tech inside my bars.  Something would have come back broken.

TTS Mastertune

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 11:57:06 PM »

I'm thankful I've got that 7 year warranty!

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 12:42:22 AM »

The grips are covered, Rog....but because of my mods to the Legend Switch, and running it internally through the bars, I didn't want the richard head HD tech inside my bars.  Something would have come back broken.

I know that feeling.  I can understand the concern.  I'm on my first set of replacements now.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 01:07:43 AM »

Terry, instead of pulling the radio and moving everything else around it (granted, that's more hassle in my case than most others) might it be easier to just quickly pull the tank and fairing cap?  That'd give good access to the bottom of the bars too.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 11:37:36 AM »

Terry, instead of pulling the radio and moving everything else around it (granted, that's more hassle in my case than most others) might it be easier to just quickly pull the tank and fairing cap?  That'd give good access to the bottom of the bars too.

Don...It would be a tight fit for the hand to get between the bottom of the inner fairing and access the hole in the middle of the bars.  The opening on my bars is facing the front of the bike and is also angled down a bit.  I don't think I could have found the fish tape had I not had plain view of the wiring coming out of the bars in the middle...and with both harnesses for the switches coming out there, it a pretty nice wad of wires, so there's not much room to see/feel what's happening there.  If you can see under the radio with the outer fairing off, it might help a bit.  The only wire in your case that would be an issue there is the power supply wire, so you just might be able to get that one to feed out by doing it the way you are thinking.  If you have enough access to feed the fish tape from the middle part of the bars to the end for the controller, you'll be good to go. You just have to pull the small power wire in there.  With my bike, pulling the radio out is not a huge deal, as I've "practiced" a few times. Is that making any sense?

I had to do some additional work with my Legend Switch...found a potential short in the wiring because of my modifications...it's good to go now though, but had to pull the wires back out and reroute them back to the inside of the bars a different way.  I'd been having one of those intermittant problems on the bleed side of the system...found the cause.  It's bullet proof now, but that was a bugger to pull back through.  Legend now offers a switch with 1" on one side of the switch and 1 1/4" on the other (right hand) side.  They did basically what I did to make it fit bars like ours, except they use a lathe instead of a hand held Dremel tool... ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 11:42:30 AM by TCnBham »

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 12:19:21 PM »

Don...It would be a tight fit for the hand to get between the bottom of the inner fairing and access the hole in the middle of the bars.  The opening on my bars is facing the front of the bike and is also angled down a bit.  I don't think I could have found the fish tape had I not had plain view of the wiring coming out of the bars in the middle...and with both harnesses for the switches coming out there, it a pretty nice wad of wires, so there's not much room to see/feel what's happening there.  If you can see under the radio with the outer fairing off, it might help a bit.  The only wire in your case that would be an issue there is the power supply wire, so you just might be able to get that one to feed out by doing it the way you are thinking.  If you have enough access to feed the fish tape from the middle part of the bars to the end for the controller, you'll be good to go. You just have to pull the small power wire in there.  With my bike, pulling the radio out is not a huge deal, as I've "practiced" a few times. Is that making any sense?

I had to do some additional work with my Legend Switch...found a potential short in the wiring because of my modifications...it's good to go now though, but had to pull the wires back out and reroute them back to the inside of the bars a different way.  I'd been having one of those intermittant problems on the bleed side of the system...found the cause.  It's bullet proof now, but that was a bugger to pull back through.  Legend now offers a switch with 1" on one side of the switch and 1 1/4" on the other (right hand) side.  They did basically what I did to make it fit bars like ours, except they use a lathe instead of a hand held Dremel tool... ;)

Thanks TC.  You're describing exactly what I was expecting. 

I paid particular attention when doing the power saddlebag locks.  With the tank out of the way and the fairing cap removed there was access to that hole in the bottom center of the bars.  Not great access.  But access.

Since it's such a quick thing to at least try it that way I likely will when the time comes.  Doing it from front on mine is more of a chore.  Someone never left good enough alone and all kinds of stuff has migrated in their. 

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 12:36:42 PM »

Thanks TC.  You're describing exactly what I was expecting. 

I paid particular attention when doing the power saddlebag locks.  With the tank out of the way and the fairing cap removed there was access to that hole in the bottom center of the bars.  Not great access.  But access.

Since it's such a quick thing to at least try it that way I likely will when the time comes.  Doing it from front on mine is more of a chore.  Someone never left good enough alone and all kinds of stuff has migrated in their. 

I've had the cap off, but not the tank at the same time, so can't relate to that one.  If you can stick the fish tape in there and have enough leverage to push it, you'll be fine that way.  Running the wires from one end of the bars to the other was not a big deal at all.

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 12:40:10 PM »

I've had the cap off, but not the tank at the same time, so can't relate to that one.  If you can stick the fish tape in there and have enough leverage to push it, you'll be fine that way.  Running the wires from one end of the bars to the other was not a big deal at all.

Was hoping the one-end-to-other pull wouldn't be a huge chore.  I don't even have the Legends wiring added in. 

From what I looked at previously I think access will be good enough with the tank out of the way.  If so that will be a much easier approach on the red bike.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 02:01:56 PM »

TC-

Thanks for the excellent write up as usual.  Be a fall/winter project for me.  Just when I thought I wouldn't have to pull the outer fairing/radio again.     :-\

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 03:38:32 PM »

TC-

Thanks for the excellent write up as usual.  Be a fall/winter project for me.  Just when I thought I wouldn't have to pull the outer fairing/radio again.     :-\

See how Don's install goes, or another SEEG bike...there's really only the two little wires in the black shrink wrap that must come out of the middle hole on the bars.  Might be able to do it by removing the inner lower, as he mentions.  If you've already got heated grips though, I'd pull the fairing to make getting to those connectors easier.

TTS Mastertune

REGGAB

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 11:06:33 PM »

Terry,  as usual, great report.  Thanks.  One question.  When installing the Heat Demons, do you reuse your old grips, or are they replaced?

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 10:41:28 AM »

Terry,  as usual, great report.  Thanks.  One question.  When installing the Heat Demons, do you reuse your old grips, or are they replaced?

You have to replace, Henry.  The heated grips have the rheostat in the left grip...looks like...well, it looks like a small dildo attached to the inside of the grip.  At any rate, all the wires, etc render the old grips useless, plus, you wouldn't want the knob on the left grip still on there when it's not functioning.

I elected to go with the Stealth collection non-heated grips, mostly because they fit my hand well, and I wanted to maintain the stock match to the floorboards, pegs, etc.  Plus, I like the fact that the HD grips do not require glue on the left grip.  Many of the grips I tried out were too fat for my hands, so my selection was somewhat limited.  My second choice would have been the Aileron (sp?) grips by HD...they were actually very comfortable, but I was unsure about the way they would look on the bike.

TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 01:18:21 PM »

thanks, TC.  I may just have to ride to B'ham.  :P har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 02:05:08 PM »

thanks, TC.  I may just have to ride to B'ham.  :P har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder

Come on down, bro...we'd be glad to have you, and we'll get those things put in after a few beers and some BS... :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

REGGAB

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 04:46:29 PM »

You have to replace, Henry.  The heated grips have the rheostat in the left grip...looks like...well, it looks like a small dildo attached to the inside of the grip.  At any rate, all the wires, etc render the old grips useless, plus, you wouldn't want the knob on the left grip still on there when it's not functioning.

I elected to go with the Stealth collection non-heated grips, mostly because they fit my hand well, and I wanted to maintain the stock match to the floorboards, pegs, etc.  Plus, I like the fact that the HD grips do not require glue on the left grip.  Many of the grips I tried out were too fat for my hands, so my selection was somewhat limited.  My second choice would have been the Aileron (sp?) grips by HD...they were actually very comfortable, but I was unsure about the way they would look on the bike.

Exactly what I thought, Terry, but wasn't sure.  My grips were "cool" the last time I used them, so I fear they may be going bad.  From what I've read here, I've been expecting them to go bad.  So, looks like I need to get a set of non-heated Stealth grips.  Hopefully H-D makes them in sizes like they did the Skull grips I had on my old Ultra.  I need bigger grips, and if I'm going to go the Heat Demon route, this sounds like the time to do it......along with the Wild Ones........but that is a winter time weekend, lotsa beer and even more time project to be executed during a school term break.  Don't need anything else to worry about when I tackle that job.  Having done it before, I know it is a huge PITA.

HML

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 05:10:59 PM »

Exactly what I thought, Terry, but wasn't sure.  My grips were "cool" the last time I used them, so I fear they may be going bad.  From what I've read here, I've been expecting them to go bad.  So, looks like I need to get a set of non-heated Stealth grips.  Hopefully H-D makes them in sizes like they did the Skull grips I had on my old Ultra.  I need bigger grips, and if I'm going to go the Heat Demon route, this sounds like the time to do it......along with the Wild Ones........but that is a winter time weekend, lotsa beer and even more time project to be executed during a school term break.  Don't need anything else to worry about when I tackle that job.  Having done it before, I know it is a huge PITA.

HML

I did not see the stealth grips in anything but one size fits all.  At my local dealer, they have a floor rack with each HD grip (other than the 08 grips) displayed so you can wrap your hand around it to see how it feels.  I tried the Kury Iso Grips while there, and they felt really good, but too fat for my small hands.  I wear a small men's glove.  The non heated Stealth grips were $69.95....same diameter as the heated version.  If you're going to do the bars too, I'd get them from Jim (hd-dude), and if you go with the HD extended brake lines, I'd order the grips from a 20% house...wasn't worth it just for the grips.

TTS Mastertune

REGGAB

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 08:04:45 PM »

I did not see the stealth grips in anything but one size fits all.  At my local dealer, they have a floor rack with each HD grip (other than the 08 grips) displayed so you can wrap your hand around it to see how it feels.  I tried the Kury Iso Grips while there, and they felt really good, but too fat for my small hands.  I wear a small men's glove.  The non heated Stealth grips were $69.95....same diameter as the heated version.  If you're going to do the bars too, I'd get them from Jim (hd-dude), and if you go with the HD extended brake lines, I'd order the grips from a 20% house...wasn't worth it just for the grips.

Thanks for the bar source info.  When it gets a little closer to winter, I'll get in touch with Jim and order a set of 575s.  As for the grips and brake lines......I usually order from either Zanotti's or Surdyke since they're the only 20% houses of which I'm aware.  My last order (A/C Cover, horn cover, glove box liners, saddlebag lid organizers, TC103 medallion) was through Surdyke about a week ago.  They just pushed the ship date out to 15 AUG.  Then I found I could have saved another ~$30 had I ordered from Zanotti's.  GAWD!
Just flew into Newport News, VA on very short notice today.  Here until Thursday AM.  Renea just called me.  Car won't start.  She has to work tomorrow @ 6AM.  My truck is at the Huntsville airport in long term parking.  Neighbor is taking her to the airport to get my truck.  Now I gotta figure out how to get from the airport to class Thursday afternoon, since she will be at work then.

I must be on the downside of my biorhythm cycle.   ::)

Henry
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 08:06:18 PM by REGGAB »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 09:51:56 PM »

Started the install this evening.  I left the outer fairing on, removed the ignition switch and lower fairing and was able to pull the wires.  I couldn't get the fish tape from one side to the other so ended up going up thru the middle  of the handlebar and out each end.  The LH side was a burger. 
The 2 wire connectors worked well but had problems with the 3 wire.  Actually could have used another hand as all three wires are not the same gauge and it was easy to have 1 slip out a little of the connector while you were squeezing.  You can actually take the red button off and redo the connector on the 3 wire connectors.
The LH heater got hot real fast in about 20 seconds on high.

My question is where to get my power?  Can I just connect to the back of my acc switch and ground to the steering neck??

Have new Performance Machine Renthal grips coming Monday so won't get done until Monday night.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 12:31:08 PM »

Finally got it powered and grounded and the wires pushed in the LH handlebar.  Will put the new grips on tomorrow after receiving them.

Tried grounding at the ground on the fork cross brace and then the RH fork neck on frame and couldn't get a good ground either place.  Finally ran the ground back to the battery.  Now have 5 grounds plus the battery cable on the negative bolt.

Got power from the orange/red wire from the back of the acc switch and wired in a 5amp inline fuse holder.

I'm not making minimum wage on this install for the time I have in it and still not done. 

Hopefully they work well and all my handlebar switches still work when I get the new grips on.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2007, 01:22:42 PM »

ok......now you're 'scaring' me.  :nervous: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2007, 01:34:03 PM »

The ground issue sounds weird Bob.  Controller must be very very picky about what flavor of common it cares for.

These heating elements have become my bad karma accessory.  Everytime I grab them to start playing with an install something comes up.  They are at least laying on the bench again right now.  At least not shoved back in a drawer.  That's progress isn't it :nixweiss::huepfenlol2:

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2007, 04:11:26 PM »

Don-

Anyone that can put an 06 HK radio in an 05 will have no problems with the Heat Demons once you have the time to do it.

As always, thanks for your help and also for TC's in his tips.

The windex on the snake really helps lubing and snaking it along.

I don't inderstand the grounds either.  After I made each ground, I would touch my power wire to the battery post and the controller would not light until I finally took the ground back to the battery.

My original factory grips are hard plastic with the chrome strips so it will be interesting how different grips heat (leather, rubber, plastic)..  The PM Renthal are rubber, yours are leather, and maybe Terry's is plastic so we can compare.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2007, 08:22:17 PM »

Bob...I had a bit of an advantage here, in that the heated grips that came stock on the bike already had a little harness with connectors, so I was able to just clip them off and use some of my heat shrink butt splices to connect everything back up.

Odd about the grounding...on my bike, there's also a ground just at the rear of the tank, down in the "black hole", if things get crowded on the battery terminal.  I HATE pulling the battery out of these things...they give you NO slack.  It's just a big ol PITA.  The little Devils get pretty damn hot, so I think they will transfer the heat through a set of wooden grips... ;D ;)

Want to see pics of the new grips and how the switch looks on the left side, since mine's on the right.  Will be great to see you in MV, bro...can't wait!!

TTS Mastertune

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2007, 09:15:34 PM »

Want to see pics of the new grips and how the switch looks on the left side, since mine's on the right.  Will be great to see you in MV, bro...can't wait!!

Will be great to see you and everyone else.

Bob

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2007, 04:34:03 PM »

Received and installed the Performance Machine grips this afternoon.  They are an aluminum grip with a hard textured rubber inlaid over the outside.  They are much firmer than expected and are about 3/4"-1" shorter than the stock grips I took off.  They are about the same diameter (1 1/2" &--)  of the stock grips.

The clutch side is held on by 2 allen screws and not glued on.  That's one reason I liked the Harley grips-no glue.

I left the heaters on for a couple minutes and the aluminum outer ends of the grips were very hot and the rubber part was warm.  Will have to see how they heat and feel on the road.

I have small hands and I liked the feel of the ISO grips but seemed a little large for my hands.  Hopefully the firmness of the PM grips is comparable to a firm Corbin.    :nixweiss:

Time and riding will tell.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2007, 04:51:12 PM »

Received and installed the Performance Machine grips this afternoon.  They are an aluminum grip with a hard textured rubber inlaid over the outside.  They are much firmer than expected and are about 3/4"-1" shorter than the stock grips I took off.  They are about the same diameter (1 1/2" &--)  of the stock grips.

The clutch side is held on by 2 allen screws and not glued on.  That's one reason I liked the Harley grips-no glue.

I left the heaters on for a couple minutes and the aluminum outer ends of the grips were very hot and the rubber part was warm.  Will have to see how they heat and feel on the road.

I have small hands and I liked the feel of the ISO grips but seemed a little large for my hands.  Hopefully the firmness of the PM grips is comparable to a firm Corbin.    :nixweiss:

Time and riding will tell.

I like those grips, Bob...checked them out on the PM site.  They should heat up well too.  You'll probably get to try them in MV...

TTS Mastertune

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2007, 07:42:43 PM »

Well I put the PM rubber grips on today, rode about 40 miles and don't care for them.  They are too small a diameter (about 1 3/8") and they are too plain hard/rough for my hands.

Put the stock 05 grips back on tonight.  They are about 1 1/2" diameter.

You probably can't buy a higher quality well made grip than PM..  As I said in a earlier post they are an milled aluminum block with a rubber inlay.

HEATING BETWEEN THE STOCK AND PM GRIPS ON HIGH ONLY IN 70 DEGREE WEATHER....

PM-The aluminum ends got so hot you couldn't touch them and the rubber part was just warm.

STOCK-The end caps are cool and the grips are HOT..

Needless to say with heated grips, the stock grips on my bike are a MUCH better in retaining heat where it is needed.

Also, my stock end caps were loose for a while and found they easily popped off and their was a little nut to tighten on the inside of the cap.

Hope this helps someone.  Thank goodness there is Ebay and I can get some of my PM money back.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 07:45:38 PM by Boatman »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2007, 10:32:17 PM »

Well I put the PM rubber grips on today, rode about 40 miles and don't care for them.  They are too small a diameter (about 1 3/8") and they are too plain hard/rough for my hands.

Put the stock 05 grips back on tonight.  They are about 1 1/2" diameter.

You probably can't buy a higher quality well made grip than PM..  As I said in a earlier post they are an milled aluminum block with a rubber inlay.

HEATING BETWEEN THE STOCK AND PM GRIPS ON HIGH ONLY IN 70 DEGREE WEATHER....

PM-The aluminum ends got so hot you couldn't touch them and the rubber part was just warm.

STOCK-The end caps are cool and the grips are HOT..

Needless to say with heated grips, the stock grips on my bike are a MUCH better in retaining heat where it is needed.

Also, my stock end caps were loose for a while and found they easily popped off and their was a little nut to tighten on the inside of the cap.

Hope this helps someone.  Thank goodness there is Ebay and I can get some of my PM money back.

Guessing there was a place for metal to metal contact between the handlebar and some part of the grip to let the heat conduct to the end cap like that? 

Hopefully that overheat problem in any area won't be a problem with either the SAC's or the ISO's.  Both have inner rubber that is the full contact surface for the handlebar.  Everything will have to radiate through that (at least I think that's how I remember them being). 

Glad the new PM's weren't glue on.  Glad you had the Plan B to fall back to.  Glad the heaters are working so nicely.  Glad to see you in a week and a half or so :2vrolijk_21: .

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2007, 08:23:05 PM »

Glad the new PM's weren't glue on.  Glad you had the Plan B to fall back to.  Glad the heaters are working so nicely.  Glad to see you in a week and a half or so :2vrolijk_21: .

I've road the bike for 16K miles with the stock grips and thought while I was doing the Demons that I would try something new.  Glad I didn't like the PM grips as I would have been dissatisfied with the lack of heat where needed.  MV coming up quickly.  See you there!

(Thanks for the tip- (PM Grips) ONLY $90 including shipping on Ebay compared to $126 plus shipping elsewhere).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 08:25:20 PM by Boatman »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2007, 02:22:04 PM »

Having ridden the bike in MV and in colder temperatures, the Heat Demons are working great with the stock grips.  I can run them on the 1st setting and keep the hands warm.  Only the thumbs can cool off.  I can also wear thinner gloves which I prefer over a heavy glove.   I never had heated grips so I can't compare to them.  If these continue to work this well for 4-5 years, I will be very happy.  Maybe I'm just built cheap, but now I need heated clutch/brake levers and heated floorboards.    :(
Next thing you know I'll be riding inside a Harley Bubble (and you thought they were just for storage).   ::)   Anyways,  thanks 2Lane for the grip buy and HDbrad for the info on the Demon's..
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 02:24:40 PM by Boatman »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2007, 07:33:30 PM »

Having ridden the bike in MV and in colder temperatures, the Heat Demons are working great with the stock grips.  I can run them on the 1st setting and keep the hands warm.  Only the thumbs can cool off.  I can also wear thinner gloves which I prefer over a heavy glove.   I never had heated grips so I can't compare to them.  If these continue to work this well for 4-5 years, I will be very happy.  Maybe I'm just built cheap, but now I need heated clutch/brake levers and heated floorboards.    :(
Next thing you know I'll be riding inside a Harley Bubble (and you thought they were just for storage).   ::)   Anyways,  thanks 2Lane for the grip buy and HDbrad for the info on the Demon's..

That's good news Bob.  I got mine installed right before MV but then ended up missing the trip.  Have turned them on a few times just to feel them.  But only even barely needed them one evening for a half hour so. 

With the new thick SAC grips it took three or four minutes for the grips to heat soak and me to notice them.  Once there, however, very even warmth and very nice on the hands.

Now I know why MrsWe has dealt with hers so many times now.  I think they'll be very nice to have.  The upcoming months and longer will tell us how well they hold up.  First impressions are nice though.

Break-In

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary Edition 513/900
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO3: 1997 FXSTC
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2007, 09:02:40 PM »

A buddy of mine has had his heated grips replaced three time since buying his 06SEUC. Hope you have better luck

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2007, 09:04:23 PM »

A buddy of mine has had his heated grips replaced three time since buying his 06SEUC. Hope you have better luck

The stories of failure with HD branded heated grips are many (many many many many many).  That's probably the biggest reason quite a few of us tried this third party product.

Keeping our fingers crossed!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2007, 06:11:07 PM »

The stories of failure with HD branded heated grips are many (many many many many many).  That's probably the biggest reason quite a few of us tried this third party product.

Keeping our fingers crossed!
Mine have not failed and work quite well.  But I hate that darn screwy knob on the end of the hand grip to operate them.  The chrome lighted controller for the Heat Demons is way nice.  Always need more chrome!

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

REGGAB

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2007, 10:25:40 PM »

Sometimes my grips work very well............sometimes they sorta work.........and sometimes they don't work.  Lately, they're working great, so I'm gonna ride 'em til they go totally TU.  Then I'll do the Heat Demons.  Saw Terry's this past weekend, and I really like the switch much mo' betta than the stock potentiometer.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2007, 10:37:49 PM »

Sometimes my grips work very well............sometimes they sorta work.........and sometimes they don't work.  Lately, they're working great, so I'm gonna ride 'em til they go totally TU.  Then I'll do the Heat Demons.  Saw Terry's this past weekend, and I really like the switch much mo' betta than the stock potentiometer.
Oh, so that's what you call that little thing-a-ma-jiggy with the numbers on it.  I justy call it a pita.

IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2007, 10:40:02 PM »

Oh, so that's what you call that little thing-a-ma-jiggy with the numbers on it.  I justy call it a pita.

Jerry, the technical term is "control thingy."

REGGAB

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2007, 10:41:17 PM »

That too, Jerry, and your's is probably a more accurate descriptor.  You could also call it a variable resistor, but that's two words and requires more effort to type.   ;D

REGGAB

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2007, 10:43:47 PM »

Jerry, the technical term is "control thingy."

I don't know about "thingy."  That words is normally used for things mechanical.  Since that item is electrical, the correct technical term is "control doohicky."

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2007, 10:46:50 PM »

I don't know about "thingy."  That words is normally used for things mechanical.  Since that item is electrical, the correct technical term is "control doohicky."
Roger that.  :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

REGGAB

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2007, 10:47:56 PM »

Oh.............Don got wasted last night.  It is my understanding he isn't feeling too good right now.   :P

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2007, 10:49:08 PM »

Oh.............Don got wasted last night.  It is my understanding he isn't feeling too good right now.   :P
I hate it when that happens. 

IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2007, 10:52:58 PM »

Fortunately Don recovers quickly.  If, however, thingy and doohicky are mechanical and electrical than widget must be organic.  Because I'm real sure I remember having a sore jaw for awhile last night after asking someone about spinning her widget :nixweiss: :drink: .

REGGAB

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2007, 10:56:10 PM »

Fortunately Don recovers quickly.  If, however, thingy and doohicky are mechanical and electrical than widget must be organic.  Because I'm real sure I remember having a sore jaw for awhile last night after asking someone about spinning her widget :nixweiss: :drink: .

:ROFLOL:  I'm fricken dyin' here.  That was some funny chit. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2007, 10:57:22 PM »

Henry is cool.  Henry makes me laugh :2vrolijk_21: :bananarock: :drink: .

REGGAB

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2007, 10:59:50 PM »

Henry is cool.  Henry makes me laugh :2vrolijk_21: :bananarock: :drink: .

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2007, 11:03:10 PM »

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

So, does Thumper still spin your widget?  :huepfenlol2:

REGGAB

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2007, 11:17:23 PM »

Dude....I have a tater tot.   :huepfenlol2:

Anyway..............oh yeah...........BOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOING!  SCHAWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!  The tater tot becomes a potato log.   :huepfenlol2:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2007, 01:49:17 AM »

Dude....I have a tater tot.   :huepfenlol2:

Anyway..............oh yeah...........BOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOING!  SCHAWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!  The tater tot becomes a potato log.   :huepfenlol2:

Man, there's a deep fat frier joke I was going to make there.  But it was just too sick....

Even typed it.  Laughed out loud.  Then read it.  Then thought, "hmmmmm?"  Then realized;  :oops:

REGGAB

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2007, 06:38:51 AM »

Man, there's a deep fat frier joke I was going to make there.  But it was just too sick....

Even typed it.  Laughed out loud.  Then read it.  Then thought, "hmmmmm?"  Then realized;  :oops:

It gives me great honor to produce joke fodder for you, Don.  Since your wit keeps me laughing so much, my plan is to keep providing you with enough fodder to help me laugh my expanding waistline into cheque.  I call it "The Joke Diet."  Eat what you want, as much of it as you want, drink lots of beer, and laugh hysterically............whatever the result, I'll be smilin'.   ;D

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2007, 06:39:36 AM »

I am making widgets for my job

• In computer programming, a widget (or control) is an interface element that a computer user interacts with, such as a window or a text box. Widgets are sometimes qualified as virtual to distinguish them from their physical counterparts, e.g. virtual buttons that can be clicked with a mouse cursor, vs. physical buttons that can be pressed with a finger. Widgets are often packaged together in widget toolkits. Programmers use widgets to build graphical user interfaces (GUIs).

My heated grips - last ride ------- Just Guess!    >:(
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 06:56:18 AM by Mrs.WeCVO »

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2007, 09:30:26 AM »

I am making widgets for my job

• In computer programming, a widget (or control) is an interface element that a computer user interacts with, such as a window or a text box. Widgets are sometimes qualified as virtual to distinguish them from their physical counterparts, e.g. virtual buttons that can be clicked with a mouse cursor, vs. physical buttons that can be pressed with a finger. Widgets are often packaged together in widget toolkits. Programmers use widgets to build graphical user interfaces (GUIs).

Oh nooooooooooooo, Mr Bill... >:(  If this set is out of warranty, just get 'em out of there and have the Heat Demons installed, Candy.  Cheaper, easier to operate, easier to install.  What is this, the 4th or 5th set on your bike?  Sorry to hear that news...

TTS Mastertune

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2007, 11:15:42 AM »

Candy-

Like Terry stated, we are very happy with the heat they produce (even on low) and the functionality of the lighted switch.  The only thing we can't tell you is how long they will last.  I know, not what you wanted to hear.  Hopefully they will give us good service.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2007, 11:22:32 AM »

ahhhhh, nuts

New motor is so powerful it blew out the grips?

HDMonsterTorque

Re: Heat Demons, installation question
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2007, 02:49:51 PM »

Are these HEAT DEMONS installed inside the handlebar or between the handlebar and the grip?

Do they fit the new 2008 Touring with drive by wire?

REGGAB

Re: Heat Demons, installation question
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2007, 03:01:30 PM »

Are these HEAT DEMONS installed inside the handlebar or between the handlebar and the grip?

Do they fit the new 2008 Touring with drive by wire?

To answer your first question, they mount inside the handlebar.
As for your second question, I have no earthy idea.  Does the DBW in any way occupy real estate at the end of the handlebar?

HDMonsterTorque

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2007, 03:11:42 PM »

DBW has an internal electronic gadget that is 'fixed' inside the handlebar.
Fixed meaning outer diameter of DBW sensor is same as inner diameter of the handlebar.
The DBW sensor is at least as long as a grip.

So if the heat demons should be mounted INSIDE the handlebar, they will NOT fit 2008 Touring with DBW.

REGGAB

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2007, 05:12:13 PM »

DBW has an internal electronic gadget that is 'fixed' inside the handlebar.
Fixed meaning outer diameter of DBW sensor is same as inner diameter of the handlebar.
The DBW sensor is at least as long as a grip.

So if the heat demons should be mounted INSIDE the handlebar, they will NOT fit 2008 Touring with DBW.

From your description, that's exactly what I'm thinkin'.  I'm certain someone will come along with an aftermarket heated handgrip solution for models with DBW.  Just a matter of time.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2007, 07:12:30 PM »

For anyone still wanting to get the Heat Demons, Kuryakyn now sells them.
Chrome-part# 6283   List I believe was $129.95

Black-   part# 6282   List was $109.95

You should be able to get 15-20% off if you shop around.  Am ordering the blacks for my wife's Fatboy from Mark at M&M Cycles as he is giving an extra 5% off thru Friday.

Still don't know how long they will last, but they sure feel/work good.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 09:03:26 AM by Boatman »

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2007, 06:47:30 AM »

Bob,  Did you install  yours yourself, or have a shop do it for you?

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2007, 07:41:34 AM »

Is there a website for Heat Demons?  I would like to look at the instructions before ordering.  Thanks
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2007, 07:52:10 AM »

It's the page for Heat Deamons :
http://kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3888

but without instruction sheet !

Perhaps, somebody is able to scan a sheet with his kit !

Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2007, 08:40:12 AM »

Bob,  Did you install  yours yourself, or have a shop do it for you?

Candy-

I know that Don, Terry, and myself installed our own.  It is not necessarily hard, but a real PIA..  Since you already have heated grips, talk to Terry as he also went from heated grips to Heat Demons.  Bob

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2007, 08:43:51 AM »

Is there a website for Heat Demons?  I would like to look at the instructions before ordering.  Thanks

http://67.199.24.130/Portals/symtec/210045i_210046i_C.pdf

On the SEEG's and SEUC's you don't have to drill any holes in the bars.  Leave bars on and take off lower inner fairing (that houses switches) and do all work from there.  No need to remove radio or outer fairing.  When fishing the wires thru the bars, I couldn't make it from end to end in one take so I just made it to the middle of the bar and then refished from ther middle to the other end (there is a large opening in the middle of the bars where they mount on the risors).   
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 09:07:43 AM by Boatman »

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2007, 09:55:43 AM »

Thanks, I have the wild1 bars, shouldnt think that would be an issue.
2015 FLTRUSE

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2007, 10:41:40 AM »

Bob did the task like I did, from the tank side.  TC and one or two others did it from the front.

It doesn't matter how you get access to the bottom of the handlebars.  You just need to get there.

It's not that pulling the outer fairing and radio (on a bike that isn't my bike) is at all difficult.  I do think, however, that pulling the tank and fairing cap would probably be quicker.  With all that out of the way there is plenty of room beneath the handlebars.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2007, 09:20:43 AM »

Wish I had seen these on Terry and Bob's bikes at MV now that I am interested in installing.   How are they holding up?  I am going to install on right side as my GPS is switch housing mounted on the left side.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2007, 11:26:36 AM »

Wish I had seen these on Terry and Bob's bikes at MV now that I am interested in installing.   How are they holding up?  I am going to install on right side as my GPS is switch housing mounted on the left side.

No problem on the right side, Pete...I've got my Legend Shock switch on the left, so did the Heat Demons on the right.  The LED is just "upside down", but it really makes no difference, as you can see it fine either way.  The install is pretty easy.  I've used mine a good bit so far, and they are working well.  It's such a simple device, there's not a lot to screw up.  The heating elements are just circuits laid on a piece of flexible metal of some sort...roll 'em up and insert into the ends of the bars, wire it, and you're good to go.  Took me about 3 hours to install, and I pulled the outer fairing and radio out to get a better view of things, and make it easier on mine becsause the left side bar has the legend wiring in it, so it's tighter than normal.

They get the grips nice and toasty.... :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2007, 05:04:38 PM »

How are they holding up? 

Pete, known of us know that yet.  All I know is that they work great on low, with thin gloves, in 35-40 degree weather.  I believe the company is from Minnesota and originally made them for snowmobiles.  Never had the MOCO heated grips to compare to.  Maybe Terry could say how the HD's compare to the MOCO's?

Unfortunately, we now need heated clutch/brake levers as they are pretty cold when going from the stock grips.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 05:06:15 PM by Boatman »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2007, 05:11:16 PM »

Pete, known of us know that yet.  All I know is that they work great on low, with thin gloves, in 35-40 degree weather.  I believe the company is from Minnesota and originally made them for snowmobiles.  Never had the MOCO heated grips to compare to.  Maybe Terry could say how the HD's compare to the MOCO's?

Unfortunately, we now need heated clutch/brake levers as they are pretty cold when going from the stock grips.

Bob, check out Iron Braids for some nice leather braided spoons.  It's not the same as being heated.  But it's a lot better than bare cold metal.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2007, 05:13:20 PM »

oops, thought I got this in the last post. 

http://www.ironbraid.com/

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2007, 05:38:48 PM »

Thanks Don for the link.  Almost forgot about the braided levers on their website with the picture of the young gal at the top.   :P

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2007, 05:45:24 PM »

Thanks Don for the link.  Almost forgot about the braided levers on their website with the picture of the young gal at the top.   :P

Made me go look ::) .

I did a maroon and cream to try to tie in the red and gold from the bike.  With the black seat on then I used black braid for the end ties.  With the tan seat I might have done it differently.  But it still works ok.  There's just about the same colors in the new SAC grips so it still works well.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2007, 05:50:16 PM »

Made me go look ::) .

I guess you know who else had to go look. ;) :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2007, 06:18:47 PM »

I guess you know who else had to go look. ;) :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
All of us!  What a 'prankster'.  ::) har!  :drink: spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2007, 06:22:36 PM »

All of us!  What a 'prankster'.  ::) har!  :drink: spyder
I did look at the orange braided levers while I was there though. :nixweiss: :D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2007, 06:31:32 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Can't believe you don't already orange and black braided levers Gary.  Talk about perfect complement to a bike (and a wardrobe)....

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2007, 06:40:14 PM »

Can't believe you don't already orange and black braided levers Gary.  Talk about perfect complement to a bike (and a wardrobe)....
Along w/the Orange Flamed Sac Grips those braided levers would be awesome. As long as I keep finding things to get for my :pumpkin: I'll never be finished w/customizing and want to get rid of it. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2007, 06:41:35 PM »

As long as I keep finding things to get for my :pumpkin: I'll never be finished w/customizing and want to get rid of it. :2vrolijk_21:

YES!!  Someone else understands the process!!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2007, 06:52:53 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
I know,  I'm 'on the fence' on those myself......I've got 'em on the ole 94 Special, but not sure how they'd look on the 'huckleberry'.  You try 'em on your's and that will give me more info.  Don's look good on his bike the way it's done, but ea. scooter has it's own personality and approach...maybe that would be what I'd need to cause me to diamond cut the motor.  :o ::) har!  :drink: spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2007, 07:06:41 PM »

I know,  I'm 'on the fence' on those myself......I've got 'em on the ole 94 Special, but not sure how they'd look on the 'huckleberry'.  You try 'em on your's and that will give me more info.  Don's look good on his bike the way it's done, but ea. scooter has it's own personality and approach...maybe that would be what I'd need to cause me to diamond cut the motor.  :o ::) har!  :drink: spyder
Don't know when it'll happen, but as always any additions will be displayed here as soon as they happen. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2007, 07:08:38 PM »

Well, I never ride without some kind of full fingered glove on, so I generally have mine on either 2, 3, or 4, depending.  On the HD grips, I usually had them nearly to the max or maxed out.  The Demons are warmer, IMO.  If I have my regular deerskin gloves on, I can get by with setting 2, but if I've got the PCI gloves on, I generally need them on 3 or 4.  Because I'm never without gloves, I don't notice the temp of the levers, plus I ride 80% of the time with two fingers covering the levers.  It's a habit I got into many years ago and the way I'm most comfortable.....I know the courses you take say not to do that any more, but I think that is because new riders don't need to be grabbing a handful of front brake when they aren't used to it.  Plus, I have just never cared much for the lever covers, no matter the style...I likes 'um shiney... :)

At any rate, the grips work extremely well, IMO, and like Bob said, they were probably made for snowmobiles, so I suspect they will hold up well.  Hell, only the MOCO seems unable to make a heated grip that is dependable...go figure.

TTS Mastertune

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2007, 11:43:48 AM »

I am considering purchasing the Kur. Prem ISO-Grips and the heat demons.  According to this post NO holes are required to be drilled in the 1.25 Wild1 bars and the ISO grips will fit along with the heat demons controller! Please correct me if I am wrong.  I will be ordering in a few days. Thanks!!
 :nervous:
2015 FLTRUSE

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2007, 11:46:32 AM »

I am considering purchasing the Kur. Prem ISO-Grips and the heat demons.  According to this post NO holes are required to be drilled in the 1.25 Wild1 bars and the ISO grips will fit along with the heat demons controller! Please correct me if I am wrong.  I will be ordering in a few days. Thanks!!
 :nervous:

True as far as you go.  If you have the older non-tapered version of the Wild1 bars you'll need to do a fair bit of grinding to clamp/switch housing supplied with the Heat Demons package.  If you've got the newer tapered version of the handlebars you won't need to do this.

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2007, 11:50:22 AM »

I believe I have the older bars bought in March 2005, mount had to be machined down.  I am trying to get as much info before buying.  I'd rather not drill a hole in the bars.
2015 FLTRUSE

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2007, 11:52:37 AM »

I believe I have the older bars bought in March 2005, mount had to be machined down.  I am trying to get as much info before buying.  I'd rather not drill a hole in the bars.

You'll be ok there. Existing hole in the bar is fine.  Plenty of room and it's in the right place.  I already did what you're preparing to do with the same handlebars.  You're only extra task will be some time with a rotary grinder working down the supplied clamp to get a nice fit.  A surprising amount of material will need to be removed.

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2007, 12:08:46 PM »

Which clamp are you referring to?
2015 FLTRUSE

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »

Which clamp are you referring to?

The new clamp that you receive with the Heat Demons package.  It is a combination switch housing clamp and Heat Demons switch housing.  If you've got the older styled non-tapered handlebars it will have to be worked on a bit to clear the bars.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2007, 12:23:36 PM »

Must be something wrong with my computer - 74 89 posts and only one picture, and it is not related to the product or the install
 :worthless:

74 till the first picture

Geez..................  :nixweiss:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »

I'll have plenty of pic's to post when I do the install!
2015 FLTRUSE

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2007, 12:39:21 PM »

I'll have plenty of pic's to post when I do the install!

That will be good.

I was kind of pointing that at a particular member who is usually most adept at posting pics and installs, and may have seemly dropped the ball on this one, I will not mention any names, but his initials are Don, 2LaneRider or something like that  :2vrolijk_21:

MV 2013

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »

Must be something wrong with my computer - 74 89 posts and only one picture, and it is not related to the product or the install
 :worthless:

74 till the first picture

Geez..................  :nixweiss:

Duane, With all that you have done to your bike, you don't need any picture(s)..   :)

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2007, 01:13:21 PM »

No but the We family sure do. 

Anyone?

Bueller? 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2007, 03:38:14 PM »

That will be good.

I was kind of pointing that at a particular member who is usually most adept at posting pics and installs, and may have seemly dropped the ball on this one, I will not mention any names, but his initials are Don, 2LaneRider or something like that  :2vrolijk_21:

Hmmm, wonder who Duane is talking about :nixweiss: ?

Sincerely,
Bob

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2007, 04:25:56 PM »

Sincerely,
Bob
dangit.......1st 'spew' of the evening.  :P  har!  :drink: spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2007, 07:47:04 PM »

dangit.......1st 'spew' of the evening.  :P  har!  :drink: spyder

So sorry Spyder.  Hope at least that it was an inexpensive beverage and an old shirt :drink: .

Duane, here's what little help I can offer on the picture.  The black line is perhaps a bit too deep, showing too much material removed.  But if so only a little.  Something close to this is how the housing would need to be relieved to make it work with the older style 575 bars.

Note that this is only on the part of the clamp that extends out from the bolt area.  You are not relieving the actual clamping area of the housing.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2007, 09:44:15 AM »

Sincerely,
Bob

Quick someone contact the site administer, there seems to be an impostor here

MV 2013

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2007, 02:20:42 PM »

Duane-

I'm just too serious, have to lighten up.

Don-

Why is the button in the switch off to one side?  (couldn't spell ascew)..

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2007, 06:11:39 PM »

Don-

Why is the button in the switch off to one side?  (couldn't spell ascew)..

The button in that switch housing is aske... asscu... cockeyed because it's got no internals.  The switch itself wasn't in it when that image was taken.  I'd disassembled it all and made some general marks so that the little brain in the Dremel would have an idea where it was supposed to go.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2007, 06:38:06 AM »

The switch itself wasn't in it when that image was taken. 

Likely story, maybe you should put it back together and take another picture ......................................

MV 2013

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2007, 02:38:22 PM »

I guess I didn't look at the back of the switch close enough, looked like it was epoxied together as one unit it to me.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »

Likely story, maybe you should put it back together and take another picture ......................................

Hell no. If I put it back together it'd probably stop working :nixweiss: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2007, 09:05:57 PM »

I guess I didn't look at the back of the switch close enough, looked like it was epoxied together as one unit it to me.

No Bob, it's actually an assembly. Two little screws hold the switch itself in place.  There's a small spring and a clear piece of plastic for the colored light segments to light through.  All covered by a milky plastic molded piece that's pushed down in place and hangs out a bit at the edge when it's all together. That's the piece you're likely thinking is the epoxy.

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • A Harley isn't just for Christmas, it's for LIFE!

« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2007, 09:15:37 PM »

Note that this is only on the part of the clamp that extends out from the bolt area.  You are not relieving the actual clamping area of the housing.

Somebody HAS to talk to the manufacturer to get them to offer chrome housing, black switch......  Can't understand why they don't!

Jim
'14 FLHTKSE
'94 Ford Escort Cosworth, 320BHP & just 19,000 miles, owned since new
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2007, 09:25:09 PM »

Somebody HAS to talk to the manufacturer to get them to offer chrome housing, black switch......  Can't understand why they don't!

Jim

They probably don't want to add another part number as the parts are already made, would just have to be assembled for the chrome housing/black switch.  In all reality, once the switch is on the bike, I have paid no attention to the Demon switch being chrome and all my other switches being black.  The button is so small, that for me, it is not an issue. 

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2007, 09:31:14 PM »

They probably don't want to add another part number as the parts are already made, would just have to be assembled for the chrome housing/black switch.  In all reality, once the switch is on the bike, I have paid no attention to the Demon switch being chrome and all my other switches being black.  The button is so small, that for me, it is not an issue. 

Wouldn't cost them anything, and they'd sell more to the anal guys like me.  It would just bother the heck out of me every time I looked at it!

Jim
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2007, 09:55:20 PM »

Wouldn't cost them anything, and they'd sell more to the anal guys like me.  It would just bother the heck out of me every time I looked at it!

Jim
Hey Jim.....did you ever wonder how nice it would be to not suffer from this affliction????  I have.  ::) har!  :drink: spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2007, 12:04:37 AM »

Jim

Jim, it's difficult to be more interested in that kind of detail than I am.  So from a shared perspective let me say it's really not a big deal.  This switch blends in to the clamp housing which is a large field of chrome.  It's not visually associated with the other switches on any quick glance your eyes make.  In fact since we're used to seeing a solid chrome clamp there I think a black switch in the middle of it would actually look funny.

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2007, 05:06:01 AM »

Jim, it's difficult to be more interested in that kind of detail than I am.  So from a shared perspective let me say it's really not a big deal.  This switch blends in to the clamp housing which is a large field of chrome.  It's not visually associated with the other switches on any quick glance your eyes make.  In fact since we're used to seeing a solid chrome clamp there I think a black switch in the middle of it would actually look funny.

Yes, I know you are just as anal err.... particular as me, Don!  ;D  If you think it's OK, maybe it would be OK on my eye too.    So, I guess I have to be the one to say it....   :worthless:   :orange:

Jim
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2007, 05:07:17 AM »

Hey Jim.....did you ever wonder how nice it would be to not suffer from this affliction????  I have.  ::) har!  :drink: spyder

You bet, Spyd! My dad was like this and he passed it on to me.  It's not something I've had cause to thank him for over the years!  ;)

:drink:

Jim
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2007, 11:57:46 AM »

Yes, I know you are just as anal err.... particular as me, Don!  ;D  If you think it's OK, maybe it would be OK on my eye too.    So, I guess I have to be the one to say it....   :worthless:   :orange:

Jim

Should have done that last night.  Too lazy to go out and do it then.  Will take one sometime today and post it this afternoon or this evening for you Jim.

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »

Should have done that last night.  Too lazy to go out and do it then.  Will take one sometime today and post it this afternoon or this evening for you Jim.

Standing by to receive, Don.  Praps I'll photoshop it to a black button to compare...  ;)

Jim
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2007, 01:10:55 PM »

Where would be the "best" place to order Heat Demons?
2015 FLTRUSE

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2007, 06:36:10 PM »

Where would be the "best" place to order Heat Demons?

Kuryakyn now sells them.  www.Mandmcycles.com   had a 20% off sale at Thanksgiving but they are now 15% off list.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2007, 06:39:17 PM »

Jim

Jim, as Don stated, the chrome switch looks pretty much like the chrome removed handlebar clamp.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 06:47:36 PM by Boatman »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2007, 06:40:44 PM »

Here is the RH heater whose wires need to be fished to the left side if you put the switch on the LH side.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2007, 06:41:59 PM »

Here is the RH heater being inserted into the handlebar.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2007, 06:43:20 PM »

Here is the LH heater and all the wire connections take place here.
(wiring from RH heater, LH heater, switch, and power/ground wire).
Like Terry stated in the first post, a whole lot of wiring to get inserted into the handlebar with the LH heater.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 06:54:14 PM by Boatman »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2007, 09:02:01 PM »

Jim, as Don stated, the chrome switch looks pretty much like the chrome removed handlebar clamp.

Bob, thanks for posting that for Jim.  Just got back by the desk for the first time.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2007, 10:08:18 PM »

No problem.  Took the picture as I was installing the Demon's on my wife's Fatboy.  You hadn't posted yet so I hope this helps Jim.

On a side note, the Demon's installed today came in the same Demon box ours came in with a Kuryakyn part# attached.  Kuryakyn added sandpaper, applicator, and glue in case your LH grip glued on.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2007, 10:15:14 PM »

No problem.  Took the picture as I was installing the Demon's on my wife's Fatboy.  You hadn't posted yet so I hope this helps Jim.

On a side note, the Demon's installed today came in the same Demon box ours came in with a Kuryakyn part# attached.  Kuryakyn added sandpaper, applicator, and glue in case your LH grip glued on.

Glue.  Mine came with it (or at least I think I remember it doing so).  One thing I was surprised by with those SAC grips I was adding at the same time.  Though they are the glue on variety they fit tight.  TIGHT.  I didn't glue them.  Don't think they'll ever twist either.  But someday I'll actually be able to get them off without the likelihood of ruining them.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2007, 10:41:21 PM »

Got an e-mail awhile back from a co-worker my company has stationed in Yokosuka Japan for a time. Slipped my mind till I was roamin around the sit and saw this thread. He's got an 07 and is bitchin about the heat. Not much he can do about it since the Japanese Government really frowns on any mods whatsoever to the new bikes. One of the reasons you've got all these Japanese guys building old school bikes I guess. S'anyway, I kind feel bad for the guy. At least here in the states, we can mess with the mapping, intakes, exhaust and and get ride of the heat demons. He's gotta live with em and if you've ever been in Japan in the summer you can sympathize with him.

B B

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2007, 05:41:21 AM »

Yup, it's v. small so doesn't look bad.  I'd still like to see it with a black switch to compare though! :-)

Thanks for posting that, Bob! I'd forgotten how hard it is to photograph chrome!

:drink:

Jim
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 05:42:56 AM by Eqcons »
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2007, 06:54:34 AM »

I'd still like to see it with a black switch to compare though! :-)

Jim

Jim, you might try going to Heat Demons website and emailing them and ask if you buy direct from them that they would build you a custom switch?  Bob 

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2007, 07:20:01 AM »

Jim, you might try going to Heat Demons website and emailing them and ask if you buy direct from them that they would build you a custom switch?  Bob 

I'd thought about doing exactly that, Bob!  ;)   I wonder if they realise there would likely be a bigger market for that than the all chrome model.....

Jim
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2007, 07:43:28 AM »

I'd thought about doing exactly that, Bob!  ;)   I wonder if they realise there would likely be a bigger market for that than the all chrome model.....

Jim

We'd all be jealous.   :)

sales@symtec-inc.com   for email or 763-571-9193

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2007, 09:02:21 AM »

We'd all be jealous.   :)

sales@symtec-inc.com   for email or 763-571-9193

Email sent, Bob - I'll post the reply when I get it!

Jim
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2007, 09:04:40 AM »

Jim

If they don't offer a timely email response let me know Jim.  When doing the group purchase for this I spoke with a rep there many times.  He was great for information.  I'll call him if need be.

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #130 on: December 13, 2007, 09:23:35 AM »

If they don't offer a timely email response let me know Jim.  When doing the group purchase for this I spoke with a rep there many times.  He was great for information.  I'll call him if need be.

Willdo, Don. But..... there was a group purchase?????  I missed it????  :-[  Dang!  I should read more forums....

Jim
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #131 on: December 13, 2007, 10:50:26 AM »

Jim

What a GREAT vendor!!  :orange:  :drink: :drink:  Top marks to these guys, not only have they replied already, but it's a helpful and positive response!  Read this and weep, you all-chrome guys:  ;D

Jim,
  I love it when a customer has a question that I have a answer for.. I have that exact switch on my bike.. I
have a Harley Ultra classic that is Blacked out... I took two kits and make up a special switch for my bike. I'm sure
that we can do something to accommodate you if you would like that. The retail price on the Heat Demons Chrome is
$129.95. If you want one you can call our office ((763) 571-9193) and I will try to get one made up for you. If
you call the office ask for me (Mike).

So there we have it - it can be done!   Now, is there enough interest for another group buy??

Jim
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2007, 10:52:02 AM »

Hd-Dude is doing 10% off. I am looking at the H4 with hi/low beam.  Let me know! :pepper:

:nixweiss: You get an H4 with hi/low beam heated handgrip?  :nixweiss: :confused5: :confused5: :confused5:

Jim
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #133 on: December 13, 2007, 11:01:51 AM »

Opps wrong thread, I removed it. :oops:
2015 FLTRUSE

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2007, 11:04:37 AM »

Another couple of mails from Mike at the manufacturers:

We are ALWAYS trying to help our customers!! If you would like to post the information that would be GREAT!
We do have a GREAT warranty also. We have a FULL one year door to door warranty. This will help out anyone
that has any issues with the products. If you NEED anything.. Just call or email.

Does the CVO owners group have any rallies that I might be able to show you guys more of our products?

and:

Jim, If you want to do a group buy.. Just email or call me.. I will take care of you..

So do we have interest in a group buy of chrome with black buttons?   ;)

I suggested Mike drop by the site for a nosy around.

Jim
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #135 on: December 13, 2007, 11:38:04 AM »

Willdo, Don. But..... there was a group purchase?????  I missed it????  :-[  Dang!  I should read more forums....

Jim

Yes, that's what got all this Heat Demon's banter started.  Several months back now.  The Mike you mention in your post that follows the one cited above is the guy I worked with then.  He was outstanding to work with.  I'm not surprised that if they had any way to offer a solution that he'd go out of his way to make it happen.

I just glanced back at some notes I'd maintained from the time of the group buy.  The company was offering an all black version.  In fact of the 15 or so bought here two or three were black.  Apparently Mike is going to try to find some as yet unpackaged parts and mix and match.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #136 on: December 13, 2007, 11:43:43 AM »

I suggested Mike drop by the site for a nosy around.

Jim

Jim, if last time was any indication a group buy discount will require a minimum of 10 kits purchased.  It also won't matter whether they are black or chrome kits.  He'll ask for a total number of 10 without concern over whether they are black or chrome.

One caveat though.  When we did the group purchase before the mftr was the only source.  Kuryakyn had not yet started handling the product.  Kuryakyn itself is no discounter; as everyone is aware.  But M&M and a few others will discount Kuryakyn products.  Enough so that the individual purchases will be about the same as what we were offered for group discount before.

Since you are mixing and matching parts within a kit you're of course working directly with the company.  The company seems good enough to deal with and promises outstanding warranty and support service too.  Guys like that I appreciate patronizing.  The group buy discount just may not be the end all and be all this time though.

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #137 on: December 13, 2007, 11:45:27 AM »

I just glanced back at some notes I'd maintained from the time of the group buy.  The company was offering an all black version.  In fact of the 15 or so bought here two or three were black.  Apparently Mike is going to try to find some as yet unpackaged parts and mix and match.

Yes, that's correct I think Don.  If we got another group buy together (I'm in!) then I think he'd do as many in black/black, chrome/chrome, black/chrome & chrome/black (for those guys with black housings and chrome switch caps, though I doubt there are that many around here) as we wanted.

As you say, his helpfulness is outstanding!  :)  What a shame he doesn't work for all of the vendors we don't get such a response from!  :drink:

He's had a browse round the site, (and this thread), and was v. impressed.

Jim
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #138 on: December 13, 2007, 11:47:10 AM »

The group buy discount just may not be the end all and be all this time though.

It will be for those that want the chrome housing/black switch!  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 06:14:05 AM by Eqcons »
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

igofar

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA #27368
Re: Heat Demons (how hot?)
« Reply #139 on: December 13, 2007, 09:11:53 PM »

I just finished installing the chrome version on my CUSE2.
This is the way the Factory should be doing it.
Beautiful and very functional switch, easy, clean wiring and you can run any grip you want!

As long as these Heat Demons stand up to normal use, "2 "warm" thumbs up!"

PS. I check the heat output on these suckers..... In a warm shop with a full battery, engine off, I got a IR tempurature reading of 110* on the left one and 106* on the throttle. The metal parts of my grip was so warm, I could not keep my finger on it!

I will be liking these!!

Brad

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #140 on: December 14, 2007, 10:10:20 AM »

Count me in, wish I had seen it BEFORE I did the bars  :nixweiss:

MV 2013

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #141 on: December 14, 2007, 10:27:47 AM »

That's the only thing I get disgusted about.  Doing something to the bike and THEN someone (not mentioning name(s) )  comes up with something new and great to put on after I was just there.  It will never end, and that's probably good.   :)

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #142 on: December 14, 2007, 10:51:27 AM »

Makes two of us!  :huepfenlol2:

Jim
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #143 on: December 14, 2007, 11:18:49 AM »

That's the only thing I get disgusted about.  Doing something to the bike and THEN someone (not mentioning name(s) )  comes up with something new and great to put on after I was just there.  It will never end, and that's probably good.   :)

::)
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10 [All]

Page created in 0.571 seconds with 21 queries.