Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: SE II Mufflers - Comparison Question  (Read 6999 times)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
SE II Mufflers - Comparison Question
« on: December 22, 2003, 04:31:42 PM »

I put SE II slash-out mufflers on my bike when I accepted delivery. I chose them with the intention of throwing the sound to the side in order to advertise my presence to cars that might be there --"I'm here!". However, they were a bit louder than I had expected  [smiley=confused5.gif]. I had listened to a friends stock, carb, Low Rider (2 yrs old) and his seemed quieter. What bothers me is not the volume per- se', but that the sound comes right up to my right ear. If I changed  the slash-out for slash-down do you think that would make enough of a difference to justify another $250.00?
[smiley=nixweiss.gif] Any suggestions?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: SE II Mufflers - Comparison Question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 08:03:38 PM »

Psychoduece come on now.......as a psychologist you know that you're the only one that can answer that question! ;D  It's a personal choice thing......some like them real loud and some don't......what's your preference and the size of your wallet???
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 08:09:06 PM »

I would think strait cut would direct the majority or the sound away from you. I have always had strait cut and cars definatly can hear me!
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003, 08:20:05 PM »

Psychoduece come on now.......as a psychologist you know that you're the only one that can answer that question! ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 08:21:04 PM by psychodeuce »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2003, 08:36:07 PM »

O.K. I'll try to straighten up and get a little more serious in this response (key word is "try". lol)

There are so many variables to take into consideration even on a question that is so simple (on the surface).  If you turn the exhaust down then it has other effects.  Such as anybody standing close to your bike on start up gets blasted.......such as, if you ever ride on a dirt road (even a dusty paved road) such as at a run site, you're blowing dirt everywhere.  It's even worse, starting your bike in one of these conditions.  Personally, an exhaust turned down is not an option for me to consider however, neither is one that's two short.  

My guess, based on the statements that you've made, you should consider longer exhaust and maybe a 2 into 1 such as Vance & Hines Pro Pipe.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 09:03:59 PM »

neither is one that's two short.
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 09:15:17 PM »

O.K. I'll try to straighten up and get a little more serious in this response (key word is "try". lol)

I appreciate you straightening up a bit there JCZ.  ::) I understand there are certain, lets say, dues to be paid as a newby (in anything for that matter). And one of those is providing the entertainment at times!  :-[ However, I'd like to avoid making the same mistake or perhaps create a totally new one in this case!

I'll tell ya, I also took up surfing at the same time I started looking at bikes this summer. In surfing terms, I became what's known as a "grommet". There was plenty of Hurricane swell (waves) to, lets say, "eat water." If you could have seen just what that looked like you would understand there is no humility here!  :-[ You just can't learn how to surf and maintain any sense of cool  8)! However, the price you pay for failing to ask questions is far too great ;). So, entertain I shall ! [smiley=bigok.gif]      

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2003, 08:55:31 AM »

hehe..now that a totaly different bike in another thread [smiley=beerchug.gif]

Come on Cabo.....I'm trying to straighten up. [smiley=drink.gif]

West Coast GTG   

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2003, 08:56:09 AM »

Have and always will go straight with the pipes.  Don't know if it sends the sound away from the bike, but I like the looks!
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

KSims1868

• Pearl FXR3 - lovin it!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2003, 09:59:27 AM »

I think Cycle Shack and SE slip ons look cheap.  I have the Vance & Hines short shots on my FXR3, and I don't like the sound of them either.  My favorite pipes that I ever had were the Samson Big Guns.  These are the longshots.  
The pipes go all the way past the rear axle in a double barrell shotgun style and are flush on the ends.  Looks sweet, sounds awesome, and the sound is WAY past your riding position.
Life's a garden...dig it!

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2003, 10:29:44 AM »

I had Cycle Shack slash cuts on my softail and i replaced them with V&H big shots, i cant honestly say the volume to my right ear changed any. i dont set off many car alarms anymore [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]. so i can say there is a difference of where the sound waves are going. but i think its a personal preference of looks more than anything. but i also agree with some earlier remarks dont go with turn-downs or you will be blasting dirt and stuff from the road right back up onto your bike
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2003, 02:10:15 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback on the pipes. I understand that getting the right sound is a personal decision and evidently many of you have already engaged in some trial and error to get your desired set-up.

I just want to clarify a point that some of you had made. When you refer to "turn-down", are you referring to actually turning the muffler and pipe downward (off linear)? The picture of my bike (to the left) has the slash-down stock mufflers. From what I can tell, the only difference between slash-down and slash-out is rotating them 45 degrees. Do you guys consider these mufflers (slash-down) as turn-down mufflers?  Thus, will these slash-down mufflers kick up dirt from the road? Or are you referring to those pipes on those custom bikes that actually point directly at the ground? Thanks.  

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2003, 02:13:18 PM »

I had Cycle Shack slash cuts on my softail and i replaced them with V&H big shots, i cant honestly say the volume to my right ear changed any.

Hey Niatram, so are you saying the volume to your right ear did or did not change any?

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2003, 02:16:32 PM »

did not change, different sounding but voulume  was not much different. i think the pipes are a bit quieter but they are also shorter keeping the sound closer to me....
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

gvc4

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2004, 01:52:43 AM »

Just put the down cut Screamin Eagle II 's on my 2002 Deuce. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW ! What a GREAT difference. I love them.                                                     2004 FXSTDSE2 is sitting still for now. I hate to change the 04 SE but I may need to add the SE II Muff.

GVC

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2004, 12:09:34 PM »

gvc4 welcome to the board......you're going to like it here.  Pull up a seat and hang out.

West Coast GTG   

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2004, 07:12:02 PM »

Just put the down cut Screamin Eagle II 's on my 2002 Deuce. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW ! What a GREAT difference. I love them.

gvc4

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2004, 01:19:46 AM »

My 2002 Deuce was bone stock. The SE II's muffs made it sound like a Harley.

GVC

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2004, 10:32:56 PM »

My 2002 Deuce was bone stock. The SE II's muffs made it sound like a Harley.

GVC

Is the sound of your muflers right at your right ear or more of a "behind you" kinda sound. I've got the slash-out and the sound seems to be right at my right ear and I wonder if I switch to the slash-down if it would move it to the rear a bit? What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 10:33:41 PM by psychodeuce »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2004, 09:11:35 AM »

Psycho I don't think you want a turned down exhaust.  It might help with your "noise" issue but it creates a hell of a dust and dirt issue.

I think what you're looking for is a longer exhaust, that comes out the back of the bike.

Just my .02 worth.

West Coast GTG   

gvc4

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2004, 09:52:26 AM »

I have the down slash. I don't think they will blow any road dirt. As far as the sound, I've only ridden it about 30 miles. It is loud & I like it. Did you keep the stock SE muffs? I think the stock SE muffs sound ok. Not near as loud as the SE II's.

gvc

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2004, 11:47:53 AM »

I have the down slash. I don't think they will blow any road dirt. As far as the sound, I've only ridden it about 30 miles. It is loud & I like it. Did you keep the stock SE muffs? I think the stock SE muffs sound ok. Not near as loud as the SE II's.

gvc

GVC welcome to the board.
We'll save your post here......I suspect that by the time you have 3,000 miles with that exhaust, instead of 30, that you'll hate them.  Just my opnion and my experience (a lot of years ago).  If you remain happy with them that's great for you [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  I wish you the best with them.

We're happy to have you join us here.

West Coast GTG   

gvc4

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2004, 07:15:59 PM »

JCZ  I don't think you understand. My SE II Muffs are angle cut down & the others are cut to the outside. Mine are not turned down. The cut is the same as the 2004 SE stock Deuce Muffs. Honestly I would think the sound would be almost the same with each set. The air is forced  to the rear on both.

GVC

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2004, 09:08:49 PM »

gvc

Yes I saved the stock muffs. But more in fear of changing regulatory issues (emmisions/sound levels). I want to be able to get my bike back to the way it was when Harley shipped it if I have to.

Also, I wondered whether things were getting lost in the translation with regards to slash down vs. turned down. I joke about the jumping smiley faces,
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 09:16:50 PM by psychodeuce »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2004, 09:09:04 PM »

JCZ

West Coast GTG   

hatchetjak

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2004, 05:04:16 PM »

My FXR4 had Screamin Eagle pipes on it when I bought it. It has good tone and its loud, but not too loud. I looked inside the pipes today with a light and the bottom pipe has had the baffle removed, while the top is still intact. Why would anyone remove just one? It seems like this would create unequal backpressure. The center connecting pipe would help equalize I suppose, but this seems...not right. Set me straight!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.