Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: iPod interfacing to radios - poll  (Read 3406 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
iPod interfacing to radios - poll
« on: August 10, 2007, 01:14:10 PM »

Hey guys and gals. I have been looking for an interface for my iPod for some time. Currently I use one in my truck. It uses a "breakout harness" in line with radio and XM harness. It allows use of my iPod with the steering wheel controls, and displays the iPod info on the radio display. Best way to listen to an iPod  without a dedicated radio.

I have contacted a couple of vendors and am encouraging them to look into this and have steered them to this site so they can see how fanatical we are  :orange:

I was using just a straight mini plug from the iPod  to the front of the radio, but I want something that connects in the rear. What I am planning to use for now is a harness I just got that connects to the bottom of the iPod  (supposed to be better sound output) and it allows 12 volt hook up. This would allow keeping the iPod on full screen brightness and not turn off, that way I could actually see the screen while riding.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Road_Glider

• Senior CVO Member
Re: iPod interfacing to radios - poll
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 10:35:55 AM »

I use the Ipod Nano which to me is far superior to the Ipod in a motorcycle application since it has a flash drive as opposed to the hard drive on the Ipod.  I hear of some guys saying their Ipods lock up and have to be rebooted when you would not have that problem with a Nano.  Also now that they have an 8gig Nano storage is not an issue.  Another plus is the smaller size of the Nano.  So all that said please see if you can get these vendors to do a handlebar set up for a Nano.  I think there would be alot of demand for that especially if they did a mount that allowed the Nano to be mouned on the bars too for easy access.
*Orange and BLack '09 Road Glide w/103

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 10:58:55 AM »

I use the iPod Nano which to me is far superior to the iPod in a motorcycle application since it has a flash drive as opposed to the hard drive on the iPod.  I hear of some guys saying their iPods lock up and have to be rebooted when you would not have that problem with a Nano.  Also now that they have an 8gig Nano storage is not an issue.  Another plus is the smaller size of the Nano.  So all that said please see if you can get these vendors to do a handlebar set up for a Nano.  I think there would be a lot of demand for that especially if they did a mount that allowed the Nano to be mounted on the bars too for easy access.

Well for starters, I didn't get a Nano for Christmas :nixweiss:, if it was my choice I probably would have opted for the Nano for exactly the reason you mentioned, hard drive vs flash.

Both use the same connector, so hopefully whoever would do the interface it will work for both.
As a test I will try my wife's Nano in my truck later today. I currently have an adapter that connects directly to the radio, and can be operated by the radio or steering wheel controls.

I have only had mine lock up once, problem is to reboot you have to stop riding and do some keypad manipulation.
As for the smaller size, that does not seem to be an issue, I actually like the bigger screen om my 30gig video, much easier to read.

I use a "tech Mount" for my iPod and GPS

HD-Dude told me of someone using a repeater for the iPod.
My wish, a break out harness for the iPod that is controlled though the radio, a wire long enough to mount the iPod somewhere where it is out of the weather and a repeater up on the dash so I can choose the tunes. The new HK radios may already be able to display the info.

The easy answer would be install an aftermarket iPod ready radio, with an auxiliary input for my GPS based XM radio and the adapter that allows the handle bar mounted controls to operate the radio.
I just ordered a bunch of Hawg-wired stuff from Jim, so after I do all that work I may end up pulling the factory radio and putting in one of the above mentioned Sony-iPod ready radios.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 11:07:45 AM by porthole »

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 11:08:21 AM »

Without the accessories

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 11:11:20 AM »

The harness in the first post is going on the bike and will be wired in through the back of the radio to eliminate the "unsightly" cord plugged into the radio.

MV 2013

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 03:24:01 PM »

I recently bought a "bottom of the iPod" to mini cable since the mini to mini gets loose at the iPod end and the speakers start cutting in and out.  Sounds better than the mini to mini and the speakers don't cut out anymore.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

06cvo

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 05:08:36 PM »

Here is what I did, I did not want anything on my bars and after talking to my HD dealer and was told it could not be done I made my mind up to do it... I ordered a Icar charger for a nano that when the radio is set on 107.6 it play's through the radio. I pluged it the lighter outlet and ran the wire around the front of the neck of the frame where it wasn't in the way of anything and hidden by the fairing, then I ran the wire along the crash bar and through the the lower fairing and mounted the plug inside in lower fairing. I ordered a small dock with a tiny remote, mounted the dock in lower glove box so now when I plug in the Ipod it charges as well, last step mounted the tiny remote on the strap on the seat by the saddle bag with double sided tape and wraped it with black tape, you would never know it is there unless you were looking for it... when I ride I can change songs and do everything else you can do with a Nano without taken my eyes off the rode and best of all no one knows its there but me. I can take pics if anyone is interested. time spent on this about 1 hour.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 09:28:02 PM »

I can take pics if anyone is interested. time spent on this about 1 hour.

ah, you are not allowed to make a post like this without the pictures, it is rule 17-462.3179 of the CVO owners group handbook.

MV 2013

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 10:34:48 PM »

definitely a violation of rules 17-462.3179 , 80 81 and 83-4 :-\

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 08:05:12 AM »

Hey guys and gals. I have been looking for an interface for my iPod for some time. Currently I use one in my truck. It uses a "breakout harness" in line with radio and XM harness. It allows use of my iPod with the steering wheel controls, and displays the iPod info on the radio display. Best way to listen to an iPod  without a dedicated radio.

I have contacted a couple of vendors and am encouraging them to look into this and have steered them to this site so they can see how fanatical we are  :orange:

I was using just a straight mini plug from the iPod  to the front of the radio, but I want something that connects in the rear. What I am planning to use for now is a harness I just got that connects to the bottom of the iPod  (supposed to be better sound output) and it allows 12 volt hook up. This would allow keeping the iPod on full screen brightness and not turn off, that way I could actually see the screen while riding.

I installed a unit for my Deadcenter fairing. It allows me to control the ipod trought the faceplate of the stereo, letting me hide the ipod..It charges it too, they are nice.

Miker

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 09:19:23 AM »

I installed a unit for my Deadcenter fairing. It allows me to control the ipod trought the faceplate of the stereo, letting me hide the ipod..It charges it too, they are nice.

Miker
yoohooooo  Miker  :worthless: :worthless: :worthless: :worthless:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 09:21:55 AM »

Ok, OK!  crikey, the blinkin thing is now mounted inside the fairing with a little ipod wire sticking out...I'll post some pics later today!

Miker

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 09:23:55 AM »

Ok, OK!  crikey, the blinkin thing is now mounted inside the fairing with a little ipod wire sticking out...I'll post some pics later today!

Miker

LMAO
or at least a link to a web photo of where you bought it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 10:07:32 AM »

I installed a unit for my Deadcenter fairing. It allows me to control the ipod through the faceplate of the stereo, letting me hide the ipod..It charges it too, they are nice.

Great, now we have two blatant violations in the same post:

• no pictures, rule violation of rule 17-462.3179
  • and no links to a cool item, rule  17-462.3215, rev.b

Please refer to your CVO owners group handbook.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
    • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
    « Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 10:10:21 AM »

LMAO

Scot,
    I believe with blatant rule violations the offender is required to dissemble any components required to get the proper information and pictures.

Rule 17-463.0135

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
    • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
    « Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 10:16:56 AM »

CVO owners group handbook
    • no pictures, rule violation of rule 17-462.3179
    • and no links to a cool item, rule  17-462.3215, rev.b

Example of penitence for rule violations by HD-Dude Jim.
      Notice the amount of hard labor performed to get qualify for punishment leniency (note, violator has completely exonerated himself, many times over).

http://old.flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1155785502/0

MV 2013

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 11:15:02 AM »

LMAO

Crutchfield was the vendor, Panasonic was the manufacturer, sorry I don't have the part number but the siue has a manufactuer box to enter. 

Bout as big a a pack of smokes and velcro to stick it to the top of the stereo, I don't know if it will fit in the HD batwing with all the chite n crap stuffed in there.  The Deadcenter has gobs of room under the front fairing piece.  The only pic I have on this puter

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
      • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
      « Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 11:31:53 AM »

Crutchfield was the vendor, Panasonic was the manufacturer, sorry I don't have the part number but the siue has a manufacturer box to enter. 
      Bout as big a a pack of smokes and Velcro to stick it to the top of the stereo, I don't know if it will fit in the HD batwing with all the chite n crap stuffed in there.  The Deadcenter has gobs of room under the front fairing piece.  The only pic I have on this puter

Mike,

I'm guessing you don't have a factory HD radio then.
      Since we are not talking real "Hi-Fi" (remember that term?) the factory radio for the most part are acceptable. What I want to do is access the iPod through the factory radio.

In the end, if I can't find what I need I may end up pulling the factory radio and putting in a Sony or Alpine, both are making dedicated iPod specific radios now. Heck, who needs a CD player with mp's and iPod's  :nixweiss:

I really don't want to change out the radio though.

MV 2013

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 11:39:57 AM »

Nope it is a quick detachable fairing as I like to go topless now and then and have the option to do so.
      The little white wire (no black yet) is what goes into the interface to the Panasonic radio.  I can either touch the radio or use an ir remote to control it through.  A pocket in my shirt or jacket works to keep it.

Miker

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
      • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
      « Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 12:00:32 PM »

Nope

Ah, for a moment there I had high hopes someone found something that would have worked  :(

MV 2013

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.