Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who are you using for a powder coater on the East Coast?  (Read 1443 times)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Who are you using for a powder coater on the East Coast?
« on: August 12, 2007, 05:26:13 PM »

I have a rear pulley in raw aluminum that needs to be done in gloss red and a headlight nacelle assembly from a Fat Boy to be done in gloss black.

My local guy has the personality of a pea. The on line guy I know is trying to pay off his equipment with my small pieces! I'm looking to expand my list of used powder coaters.......
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Who are you using for a powder coater on the East Coast?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 07:21:36 PM »

I have a rear pulley in raw aluminum that needs to be done in gloss red and a headlight nacelle assembly from a Fat Boy to be done in gloss black.

My local guy has the personality of a pea. The on line guy I know is trying to pay off his equipment with my small pieces! I'm looking to expand my list of used powder coaters.......

Call Sumax.  The work is fine.  The prices are average.  But get them to commit to a delivery schedule and bug them in the process.  Because they can be slowwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 07:25:33 PM »

Ahhh I forgot about Sumax. I've used them twice. Once when they did my TP motor and I ended up having to buy another set of pistons and rings. The second time they said they could match the silver motor HD color, not even close.

I guess I'll go back to the local guy and do my best to not talk to him. The few pieces may kill me though.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 08:08:35 PM »

Ahhh I forgot about Sumax. I've used them twice. Once when they did my TP motor and I ended up having to buy another set of pistons and rings. The second time they said they could match the silver motor HD color, not even close.

I guess I'll go back to the local guy and do my best to not talk to him. The few pieces may kill me though.

I was fortunate.  The work they did for me looked great.  But what a hassle.  They took three times longer than promised.  They dropped and broke a cylinder.  Then had the gall to say it arrived that way.  This despite the fact that the damage (though obvious) wasn't "discovered" until it had already been cleaned, stripped, blasted, cleaned again and given a base coat.  That's a lot of handling to miss a busted skirt right out in the open.

The final work was good.  Getting there was an abomination.  In other words it was a normal day of dealing with far too many of the vendors we have to deal with.  Too bad they don't pay more attention to the way that Puzzled guys works  :2vrolijk_21: .

hogasm

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 08:23:04 PM »

I was fortunate.  The work they did for me looked great.  But what a hassle.  They took three times longer than promised.  They dropped and broke a cylinder.  Then had the gall to say it arrived that way.  This despite the fact that the damage (though obvious) wasn't "discovered" until it had already been cleaned, stripped, blasted, cleaned again and given a base coat.  That's a lot of handling to miss a busted skirt right out in the open.

The final work was good.  Getting there was an abomination.  In other words it was a normal day of dealing with far too many of the vendors we have to deal with.  Too bad they don't pay more attention to the way that Puzzled guys works  :2vrolijk_21: .

Don that is why this winter  I will  drop off Bessies jugs and heads in person. It is 500 miles away but I don't want to take the chance of them being damaged in transit.
No I am not upgrading the motor, I screwed up by spraying Easy Off Oven Cleaner on the motor and it took the silver powder coating off!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 08:32:05 PM »

Don that is why this winter  I will  drop off Bessies jugs and heads in person. It is 500 miles away but I don't want to take the chance of them being damaged in transit.
No I am not upgrading the motor, I screwed up by spraying Easy Off Oven Cleaner on the motor and it took the silver powder coating off!

Ouch....  Easy Off must be wicked stuff. 

Too bad it's not just jugs.  New jugs can be purchased for not much difference in price then the powder coating costs.

They were assholes about that jub of mine they damaged.  Asked all the obvious and logical questions.  "Don't you check things when you unpack them?"  "Aren't the looked at during the various cleaning and prep processes to make sure they are in fact cleaned and prepped?"  Etc etc etc.

They knew they dropped it.  They'd all but admit it directly.  They just didn't want to be out the cost of replacing it.  And since all the parts were already stripped and otherwise unusable without them finishing the work they knew I had little practical choice but to replace it and move on.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 08:58:53 PM »

Southern paint and powdercoating in Waxhaw NC do good work  the owner is a motorcycle guy his name is Ben give him a call 704 843 0440  I have seen his shop and his work also can do texture coating  has coated some high dollar bikes for Carolina HD .....

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 09:12:51 PM »

shippy I'll give them a call, thanks.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 11:05:07 PM »

Mike, there's a place in LI that's very good too called Colorlife. Just another option. But Sumax is the most popular.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Page created in 0.587 seconds with 21 queries.