Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Engine Light ON & High Idle RPM  (Read 22683 times)

beeperman

• CVO1: 2008 Road King
    • CVO2: 2008 XL883L
Re: Engine Light ON & High Idle RPM
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 11:55:15 AM »

Local dealer just called me and informed me that they have the new ECM update for the standard programming but since my bike has the HD race tuner, the new ECM update isn't ready from HD and the estimated time will be about two weeks. I have to check back in two weeks to see if they have received the new update. I guess Ill have to play the waiting game a couple more weeks.

Ride Hard - Ride Safe

Beeperman

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 11:58:19 AM »

This High idle chit is a pain...that ignition switch dance does nothing for mine...

the bike can idle along with both Anne and I on without holding the throttle...doin' about 10 mph...
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 12:27:54 PM »

This High idle chit is a pain...that ignition switch dance does nothing for mine...

the bike can idle along with both Anne and I on without holding the throttle...doin' about 10 mph...

Like I said, the 2008 is a totally different animal. It has its own, new set of problems.  :nixweiss:

beeperman

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2008, 10:38:46 AM »

Yep, A little aggravating but I guess Ill have to have patience. When my bike goes fast idle, it will do 10mph in first gear and 15 mph in second. The local dealer wanted to make sure I knew how to do the reset thru the switch until they have my update. The switch trick last about a day. What I have noticed is the fast idle most of the time, is a gradual increase each time I cut on and off the bike. Every now and then it will go to fast idle in one turn of the switch.
   Guess I will just be patient, good things come slow some times. Im in the electronic retail business and see issues with devises all the time with new products. Alot of the time manufactures are trying to meet customer demands for new products or on a time schedual and release products before they are actually ready, to meet this demand by consumers. some times we are also their bata testers.

Love my bike and would buy again tomorrow

Beeperman

Ride Hard - Ride Safe

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2008, 08:25:52 AM »

Would you consider the high idle a possible safety related issue?  When mine goes into high idle frenzy, it will walk away from a stop light without me touching the throttle.  This is akin to a sticking throttle cable (which I wish I had because I could fix that).

Seems like this would get some rather high attention from NTSB and Harley Davidson.

I too have seen this gradual increase over cycles with the idle.  My latest process to keep the idle in check is:

1. Upon start-up, I let the bike cycle thru completely until the engine light goes off.
2. Upon shut-down, I let it idle for at least 5 seconds while carfully watching the tach.  Once I see the tach hit 1000 rpm, I kill it. 

I now only have to do the ignition switch reset dance once a week instead of once a day.

Hate the bike, wouldn't buy it again.  Wish I had my '03 back.....
'08 is a dog, '03 was much faster
'08 is runs hotter than the depths of hell, '03 was fine
'08 5th gear whines like a stuck pig, '03 tranny was nice and quiet
'08 the radio is nice, '03 didn't have a radio.

TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

beeperman

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2008, 02:20:19 PM »

Ive tried the idle down a few minutes before turning the switch off and also turning the throttle back manually and holding for a few minutes too but neither works on mine. Local dealer said they have been seeing some ECM`S are worse than others. I guess I have a built in cruz control

Beeperman,
Ride Hard - Ride Safe

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2008, 02:48:32 PM »

What, your not keeping your right hand on your head while saying the alphabet backwards when you switch her off?
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

gunrunner

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 flstfse
    • CVO2: 08 flhrse4
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »

I have thought about this keep your hand off the throttle line. how crazy is that ,,I have never held throttle when shutting off any bike, and I doubt anyone else has either. what a crock

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2008, 04:33:04 PM »

well, thats two for the throttle memory bullchit. 12 if you count my tests.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2008, 04:48:16 PM »

Hate the bike, wouldn't buy it again.  Wish I had my '03 back.....'08 is a dog, '03 was much faster
'08 is runs hotter than the depths of hell, '03 was fine
'08 5th gear whines like a stuck pig, '03 tranny was nice and quiet
'08 the radio is nice, '03 didn't have a radio.

Love those 03's!
Especially the ones with a radio!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2008, 05:28:21 PM »

Love those 03's!
Especially the ones with a radio!

:2vrolijk_21:

man, you sure know how to poke a dude in the eye. ROFLMAO

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2008, 08:11:21 PM »

OK, an update for me...This morning, I start the bike and it revs to 3 grand...I start b!tchen a blue streak, grab the throttle and force it down to about 1800 before heading out...I swore I was going to take it to the dealer to beat it up a bit...40 minutes later I pull into the parking lot at work and idle is at 1K...i decide to let it run for mabe 10 extra seconds and then shut it down.

at lunch I decide to take a spin to Pickles Deli for an American Grinder...well, I start the bike before saddling up and it initially idles at about 1400 and then within 10-15 seconds drops down to 1000 before I can put it in gear to head out...so, WTF?

I get to pickles and shut it down gently again, let it idle at just under 1000 for about 10 seconds before shutting down.

10 minutes later I leave and again it idles almost perfectly.

again at work I shut it down gently and when I left at 3:30, it once again behaved.

40 minutes later at home, I let it idle gently (at just under 1K) and shut it down, 2 hours later, for a run to wally world, it once again behaved...after leaving wally world, I sopped for a  :drink: or three and forgot to let it idle down completely before shutting off....when I left an hour later, yup, the idle was over 1800 to start...but while riding, it worked its way down such that at a light it was just under a grand.

I stop to pick up some dinner and again let it idle down nice before shutting down and again, when I went to leave, it behaved very nicely again.

So, did the threat of bringing it to the dealer scare the chit out of it and it now is beahing well?

/Bill

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2008, 08:52:10 PM »

OK, an update for me...This morning, I start the bike and it revs to 3 grand...I start b!tchen a blue streak, grab the throttle and force it down to about 1800 before heading out...I swore I was going to take it to the dealer to beat it up a bit...40 minutes later I pull into the parking lot at work and idle is at 1K...i decide to let it run for mabe 10 extra seconds and then shut it down.

at lunch I decide to take a spin to Pickles Deli for an American Grinder...well, I start the bike before saddling up and it initially idles at about 1400 and then within 10-15 seconds drops down to 1000 before I can put it in gear to head out...so, WTF?

I get to pickles and shut it down gently again, let it idle at just under 1000 for about 10 seconds before shutting down.

10 minutes later I leave and again it idles almost perfectly.

again at work I shut it down gently and when I left at 3:30, it once again behaved.

40 minutes later at home, I let it idle gently (at just under 1K) and shut it down, 2 hours later, for a run to wally world, it once again behaved...after leaving wally world, I sopped for a  :drink: or three and forgot to let it idle down completely before shutting off....when I left an hour later, yup, the idle was over 1800 to start...but while riding, it worked its way down such that at a light it was just under a grand.

I stop to pick up some dinner and again let it idle down nice before shutting down and again, when I went to leave, it behaved very nicely again.

So, did the threat of bringing it to the dealer scare the chit out of it and it now is beahing well?

/Bill

It is just in the process of training you...   :2vrolijk_21:   :huepfenlol2:   :oops:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2008, 08:57:20 PM »

Like I said, the 2008 is a totally different animal. It has its own, new set of problems. 

Makes you just cringe thinking about a new model year about to hit the showrooms huh?  :nixweiss:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2008, 06:43:03 AM »

2200 revs this morning at startup...forced it down to about 1600 before leaving the driveway...at the first light 30 minutes later it was idling at 1200...pulled into the lot at work and was still 1200...sould have been just below 1000...we will see what happens when I leave today...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.