Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tach Trouble - Please Help!  (Read 2418 times)

east420

• My 2006 VRSCSE2 at Ft DeSoto, Pinellas FL 12/06

• CVO1: VRSCSE2
Tach Trouble - Please Help!
« on: August 14, 2007, 11:36:06 PM »

ACK! While installing the Heavy Cycles tach light mod I got little white plastic flakes inside on the face and cannot get em out! The tachometer doesn't come open so I can't get in there to clean them off! Any suggestions other than buying a new tach ?(ugh) Seems like every time I attempt to make something good better it gets worse.  :'(

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Tach Trouble - Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 12:00:05 AM »

ACK! While installing the Heavy Cycles tach light mod I got little white plastic flakes inside on the face and cannot get em out! The tachometer doesn't come open so I can't get in there to clean them off! Any suggestions other than buying a new tach ?(ugh) Seems like every time I attempt to make something good better it gets worse.  :'(

First, welcome to the site, East.  You should introduce yourself in the New Members thread when you have the opportunity.

For the tach, I have not done this mod yet, but it's on my list.  Special Ed has done this, so perhaps he will see this post and respond.  Is the assembly glued into the housing?  If so, might be able to turn the glue loose with a heat gun and get the thing apart.  But then you might have to worry about condensation when it goes back together... :nixweiss:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 02:07:19 PM »

Hey there East!

Welcome aboard.

I did the upgrade a while ago. I'll take a look at the instructions and the service manual and see it I can come up with something.

Ed :pepper:
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 06:41:28 PM »

East,
I checked the upgrade instructions, the VRSC service manual, and my 05' VRSCSE parts book and none of them have any details on how to disassembly the tach.

My first thought is to try a can of compressed air, the keyboard cleaning type, up through the opening for the light. It could be possible to get the pieces to move that way. I'd start off fairly easy though. Let me know if you have any luck. That same tach is used on a few other CVO's so somebody may have more info. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Ed :pepper:
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

east420

• My 2006 VRSCSE2 at Ft DeSoto, Pinellas FL 12/06

• CVO1: VRSCSE2
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 06:51:50 PM »

Thanks for your reply Ed. Tried a can of air, I think it just blew more of em in there and lodged em even tighter between the lense and the black "rubber" ring inside. It appears hopeless. I do not believe the tach will come apart and no amount of air seems to help. Woe is me. (wonder how much a new one cost)  :'(

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.