Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: oil filter change mess  (Read 34458 times)

tunedse2

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2006 SE FatBoy Autumn Haze
oil filter change mess
« on: August 15, 2007, 02:58:37 PM »

What is the secret to not ending up with a mess from the oil filter? I end up removing the spoiler everytime, its a pain in the ass...

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: oil filter change mess
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 03:10:17 PM »

What is the secret to not ending up with a mess from the oil filter? I end up removing the spoiler everytime, its a pain in the ass...

I find it much easier to use my hands instead of other body parts to remove the filter.  ;D(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist).

All joking aside, its always a mess. There are lots of tricks to lessen the mess, but I haven't ever found a sure-fire method for avoiding oil down the front of the bike.

:indian_chief:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 04:02:21 PM »

I usually spray some Gunk in the oil cooler, behind the oil filter, and underneath the bike after a service. I always detail the bike after having it serviced anyway because it's full of "paw" prints.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Godeater

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2001 ScreaminEagle Road Glide Blk/Sil
    • Radical Cycle
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 10:20:27 PM »

May sound  like a crazy idea, but I use an old shop vac.  Works good
2001 FLTRISE2 103 Stroker
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Crank
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Pistons 5 Over
Stock Jugs 5 Over
Polished and Ported Stock Heads
Manly Titanium Springs 640 Lift
Manly Stainless Valves
Screamin Eagle Cam Plate and High Flo Pump
S&S 585 Gear Drives
Horse Power Inc. 51mm Intake with Screamin Eagle 25 deg Injectors 62 psi Fuel Reg
Power Commander III USB
Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather
D&D Fatcat Stand Baffle
Baker OD6 speed
Lowered 2 inchs
Danny Grey Seat

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 10:33:13 PM »

I get rid of most of it by punching 2 holes in the end of the filter.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

REGGAB

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 10:43:08 PM »

Walmart bag and a one gallon freezer bag.  Place the Walmart bag under the oil filter, and drape it over the top of the voltage regulator and oil cooler.  Then slide the open end of a one gallon freezer bag over the oil filter and fitting leaving the closed end of the filter exposed.  Break the seal on the oil filter.  Place the freezer bag completely around the filter and spin it off through the freezer bag.  Let the filter and the mess spill into the bag.  Carefully remove the bag, filter and mess from the motorcycle.  Zip it and dispose of properly.   ::)  What little mess is left falls onto the Walmart bag.  Wipe down the filter fitting, and stuff a shop rag in the fitting.  Remove the Walmart bag and dispose of properly.   ::)  I usually clean road debris from the area occupied by the filter at this point.  Prep a new filter in the usual manner.  Remove the rag you stuffed in the fitting earlier.  Install new filter and hand tighten.  Been doing it this way for years.  Every now and then I'll phuque up and make a mess, but not often.  I've messed up once with the SEUC, and that was on my most recent oil change.  Oil got into the oil cooler housing.  Had to take the chrome cover off and degrease the whole thing.  I hate oil mess on the bike, so I'm gonna do what I have to to clean it up...........and hopefully prevent it in the first place.  This procedure is a bit more difficult on "B" engines, and usually ends up being a "mess minimization" as opposed to a total elimination.  On "B" engines, I found it worthwhile to use the box in which the filter is packed to divert oil flow from the filter fitting to the Walmart bag.  Simply fold it flat and wedge it between the filter and front balancer housing all the way to the hilt of the filter fitting.  Then place the Walmart bag and freezer bag as described earlier.

Henry

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 11:32:18 PM »

I always keep cheap paper towels in my shop.  I stuff paper towels under and around the filter, so that when I remove the filter the paper towels catch & soak up all the oil...always works for me.

bobaroni

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 1999 Dyna LowRider
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 01:44:08 PM »

In this topic people were going to try the "poke a hole in the filter to drain it" technique. Any reports? Successes?
 http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=14322.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 02:18:17 PM »

In this topic people were going to try the "poke a hole in the filter to drain it" technique. Any reports? Successes?

Bob, an old hammer and a punch is just beneath us.  If we can't use chrome hammers with teak handles capable of deploying SE accessory tool sets via hydraulic actuators controlled by dual redundant logic circuits tuned to maintain a high torque curve all used to control laser deploying and sited hydropneumatic quick deploying hole management systems supported by high speed vacuum oil droplet pickup systems we're just not interested.  Hammer and a punch.... geez....

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 02:52:35 PM »

As Twolane noted, can't use just any ol' hammer and punch.  Gots to be high class tools.  And one drawback to that nice K&N filter is that the outer shell is a little tougher than a stock filter.  So a new, larger, fully chromed ball peen hammer with tooled leather grip has been ordered.

Actually, the guys in the Amsoil change interval thread have convinced me to put off changing oil this year, so it will be awhile before I can report on the results.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RetiredOF

• Senior CVO Member
  • Coming soon to a location near you!
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 03:08:34 PM »

Since my hammer has been on a sliding back order from the company, I've had to resort to my old stand-by.  I am using a 1 liter Code Red Mountain Dew bottle with the bottom neatly removed.  I can slip an extension through the spout to loosen the filter and then replace the cap to finish the capture of any wild oil.  I guess a diet drink would work but it too seems beneath the scoot.
Member 3063

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 03:24:20 PM »

Since my hammer has been on a sliding back order from the company, I've had to resort to my old stand-by.  I am using a 1 liter Code Red Mountain Dew bottle with the bottom neatly removed.  I can slip an extension through the spout to loosen the filter and then replace the cap to finish the capture of any wild oil.  I guess a diet drink would work but it too seems beneath the scoot.

That's my method too.  It ain't foolproof.  I sometimes still drool a little oil.  But it's far more effective than just wiping up what has spilled.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 11:06:16 PM »

Shampoo bottle, cut to fit (Costco sized, Pantene I think, fits perfect, scalloped the end) for the filter, oil absorbent pad under the filter, remove the chrome cooler cover and prop the cooler up out of the way before I spill the oil from the filter. Most times it works out well enough, minimizes the clean up
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 08:40:04 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

bobaroni

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 1999 Dyna LowRider
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 04:49:08 PM »

Bob, an old hammer and a punch is just beneath us.  If we can't use chrome hammers with teak handles capable of deploying SE accessory tool sets via hydraulic actuators controlled by dual redundant logic circuits tuned to maintain a high torque curve all used to control laser deploying and sited hydropneumatic quick deploying hole management systems supported by high speed vacuum oil droplet pickup systems we're just not interested.  Hammer and a punch.... geez....

What was I thinkin' ?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
As Twolane noted, can't use just any ol' hammer and punch.  Gots to be high class tools.  And one drawback to that nice K&N filter is that the outer shell is a little tougher than a stock filter.  So a new, larger, fully chromed ball peen hammer with tooled leather grip has been ordered.

Actually, the guys in the Amsoil change interval thread have convinced me to put off changing oil this year, so it will be awhile before I can report on the results.

Jerry

Dear Santa,
 I need chrome hammers (teak handles only), hydraulic actuators, High speed vacuum AND
some rope so can pull my head out of my azz.
I'm learning.  :huepfenlol2: :D :huepfenlol2: :D

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 10:17:30 AM by bobaroni »

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
Re: oil filter change mess Revisited
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 04:21:25 PM »

Ok Boz n Gurls ! Just my two cents once again.

I don't ussually buy to many things from the "stealer" but today i am happy to report that money well spent was the case. HD Part # 94863-10 Harley Davidson Oil Filter Wrench. It has a nice opening in it to clear the plug on the case of my Twin Cam and it wasn't Oh So Expensive. $10. (A nice MoCo emblem on it too.) :jester:

Also, I am very happy with the two bag effort described in the thread here. :2vrolijk_21:

Once again, the disimination of information here rocks ! :guitarist: :drummer:
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.