Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear shifter arm stripped out  (Read 1842 times)

wilberb

• Junior CVO Member
  • You only live once
Rear shifter arm stripped out
« on: August 20, 2007, 03:09:38 PM »

My rear shifter arm (connects the shift linkage to the splined shaft on the transmission) has stripped out. It was a big job replacing it. The transmission had to be seperated from the engine. Unfortunatley there is not enough clearance between the inner primary and the shaft on the transmission to remove the shifter arm without separting the transmission from the engine. Has anyone else had this problem?? Cost to replace the arm and install front and rear tires was $950 PS Sorry no photo, allready fixed!
2005 FLHTCSE2 red
SE Air Cleaner/PCIII/D&D Fat Cat 2:1
2003 FXDX (Wife's)

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
Re: Rear shifter arm stripped out
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 05:36:49 PM »

Yup!  a buddy had his strip out a while back.  He went to our illustrious stealership, who pissed him off royally.  He then went home and stuck a welding rod down there and fixed 'er right up!   Now, I'm not sayin' that's perzactly the way I would have handled it, but so far it's been a cheap and succesful fix for him!   ;)

ps, we don't ride together much.  he scares me....   :o
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 05:38:52 PM by Coolbreeze »
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 01:50:19 AM »

These come loose pretty often, its a maintenance item that need to be checked.

Why would you remove the transmission to replace the arm? All you need to do is remove the outer and inner primary to get to it. Its about a 2.5 hour job at the most. Tires are about $300 for the pair and the arm is about $30. That leaves $620 for labor :nervous: Is this a shop that did this?

wilberb

• Junior CVO Member
  • You only live once
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 08:28:57 AM »

The bolt holding it to the shaft wasnt loose. Yes the work was done at our local "HD Stealership". I will look at my invoice and see what the labor breakdown was. They may have removed the inner primary, although the kid at the service counter mentioned the transmission. I thought that it may be possible to take the cover off the transmission and slide the "guts" over about 1/2" to make clearance to remove and replace the arm, but that must not have been possible.
2005 FLHTCSE2 red
SE Air Cleaner/PCIII/D&D Fat Cat 2:1
2003 FXDX (Wife's)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 09:32:28 AM »

Not to hijack the thread, but talking about the front desk help in the service department...

Friday I went to the service department to get some replacement tire weights because I threw mine off of the rear tire. The girl at the desk asked me how much weight was there. I illustrated "about his much", holding thumb and forefinger about 1.5" apart. She said she needed to know which weight was used. "They're all the same length, but different thicknesses". A polite "bummer", followed by going back in the shop and getting the proper length of weight I needed was next.

Moral of the story. Don't believe what the service writer says. They're on the desk for a reason. Some of them just can't resist trying to be an authority on a subject they know very little about.

:indian_chief:

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 10:50:32 AM »

Not to hijack the thread, but talking about the front desk help in the service department...

Friday I went to the service department to get some replacement tire weights because I threw mine off of the rear tire. The girl at the desk asked me how much weight was there. I illustrated "about his much", holding thumb and forefinger about 1.5" apart. She said she needed to know which weight was used. "They're all the same length, but different thicknesses". A polite "bummer", followed by going back in the shop and getting the proper length of weight I needed was next.

Moral of the story. Don't believe what the service writer says. They're on the desk for a reason. Some of them just can't resist trying to be an authority on a subject they know very little about.

:indian_chief:
I noticed a weight was missing when the service guy was wheeling it off to the shop as the foam was still there and asked to rebalance. They tried to charge me when I picked it up and I reminded them about warranty. SM stepped up and said take the chrage off, warranty.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 08:25:07 PM »

These come loose pretty often, its a maintenance item that need to be checked.

Agreed...

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.