Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Eyewear for heavy rain  (Read 13117 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: Eyewear for heavy rain
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 09:17:27 AM »

I carry ski goggles on board.  They are adequate but for the kind of rain you described

I am not a skier, so I don't have any. But, I was hanging in a gas station watching the electrical display when some dude rolled up on a bike with apes. He was drenched, no gear, crappy little helmet and very foggy riding glasses, almost rolled into my bike since he couldn't see.

He had a friend come by with dry clothes, a Helly Hanson foul weather set and ski goggles. The rain gear looked funny, but the ski goggles looked like the ticket.

Although, when we left it was still pouring, I wonder how it feels with the apes and the water running down your arm? He only had 40 miles to go.

I carry ski goggles on board.  They are adequate but for the kind of rain you described maybe a dive mask is needed.

Now that I have, even a couple of models with my prescription. If I had thought of it I would have packed it! Only problem with a dive mask is they cover your nose.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 09:19:31 AM »

:worthless:

would have been dark Bill, so no one would have so me, probably would have been laughing to hard anyway looking at the nuts riding in what we were in.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 09:26:15 AM by porthole »

MV 2013

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 09:20:17 AM »

I haven't used these personally, however check this link for the Bobster Anti-Fog lens goggles.  Multiple styles etc.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/anti-fog-safety-glasses.html

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 09:23:02 AM »

Also, an anti-fog coating woul assist in reducing the fog effect as well.

Even if it doesn't work it might be worth havings around for it's name alone, just don't confuse it with your favoirite lubricant....................

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/hsaf.html

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 09:25:18 AM »

Has anyone tried using the same stuff employed by divers to keep their masks from fogging underwater?  The stuff works better than spit. 

Spit does work. The anti fog works too, just a step above spit. Problem is you apply and rinse. Both leave a film on the inside which is what helps with the fog. Underwater you are seldom looking more then several feet to maybe 10-20 feet, so the "film" is almost invisible. I've never sat on the surface long but I would imagine that it would be like looking though wet goggles, blurry.

Underwater the masks will still fog, but all you do it let a little water in, swish it around and then clear the mask.

I may try the anti fog, will pick some up next time I am at the shop.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 09:49:27 AM »

These look interesting. And the shop is near my work, I'll try and get over there next month to check them out.
Worked out to 260 with my Rx and options, including the anti-fog.

http://www.rx-safety.com/Wiley-X-Eyewear/Frame-Model-AirRage.htm

MV 2013

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 10:02:43 AM »

Ran into the same problem myself Saturday.  Ended up going about 25 miles with my glasses pulled down and rain hitting me in the eyes, couldn't see otherwise.  Finally got to a place where I could dry off the insides a bit and made it the rest of the way home.  I'll be watching this thread to see what comes of it.....

dfrny

• '07 FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 10:04:18 AM »

In all my riding I have never really found something that works 100% in heavy rain conditions. I have tried various goggles, snap on shields, etc. but there always seems to be fogging that occurs. I have been riding this season w/ a SEER 1/2 helmet that I am now thinking of getting a snap-on eye visor shield and applying this spray to it. I have had limited success in the past w/ similar products (RainX, etc). but what I have read so far this seems worth trying. Of course this means I have to carry the face shield, make sure the spray is "fresh" (the specs recommends new coating every 24 hours) and pack all of it where I can get to it quickly when the down pour starts  ;)

http://estores.infront.com/superseer/item_info.asp?pid=97

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 10:28:18 AM »

I just ordered a pair of these to try for the short term

http://estores.infront.com/superseer/item_info.asp?pid=53

MV 2013

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 10:28:57 AM »

Has anyone tried using the same stuff employed by divers to keep their masks from fogging underwater?  The stuff works better than spit. 

Also,  if the water were to  bead off the windscreen that would improve visibility.  Anyone have a product they swear by?

Yeah, and it works great!  A product called "Spit" works like a charm.  They have two versions, one is a liquid gel which is better suited for diving, but the spray version is great for diving as well as for ski masks and bike goggles. You just spray on a light film, let it dry, buff it off with a soft rag and you're good for about 6 hours of so - even if it gets wet!  As a bonus, on really hot or cold days, it keeps your goggle from fogging up due to humidity etc. when you're not moving.

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2007, 10:38:12 AM »

You can get "Spit" by mail order from leisurepro.com for about $8.  Small bottle and easy to keep in a saddle bag.  Manufacturer states that it also lasts for 24 hours, but practical experience says only about 6 to 8 hours.  Still pretty good though.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2007, 10:38:22 AM »

Here's a possible CVO/OCD solution to the fog issue.

Smith's Turbo Fan Goggle specifically designed to eliminate fogging and with a design to be used with helmets.

Setting the standard in goggle performance, our patented* Turbo Fan technology eliminates fog. A silent, 2-speed micro-electronic fan runs continuously for up to fifty hours to draw air through strategically placed vents, preventing moisture from setting up shop inside your goggle. The result is perfect vision. A high power mode can be activated to clear moisture build-up in extreme situations. Sleek, lightweight and hates fog as much as you do. The bar has officially been raised. 

http://www.smithoptics.com/Turbo-Option-OTG_16_102.html

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 10:51:02 AM by Rjob749 »

bpalmersheim

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2007, 10:46:20 AM »

Also,  if the water were to  bead off the windscreen that would improve visibility.  Anyone have a product they swear by?

Rain-X
2007 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames

United States Army Retired (4x Combat Veteran)
CVMA, H.O.G. Member, Patriot Guard Rider

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 11:00:36 AM »

Smith's Turbo Fan Goggle specifically designed to eliminate fogging and with a design to be used with helmets.

+ Spherical, Carbonic-X lens with TLT Optics
+ Patented Vaporator lens technology with Porex filter
+ Articulating Outrigger Positioning System
+ QuickFit strap adjustment system
+ Large fit
+ Helmet and ODS compatible
+ Two speed, micro-electronic fan
+ Carbonic-X Lens

http://www.smithoptics.com/Knowledge-Trubo-Fan-OTG_10_461.html

Those work great for skiing...don't have a pair, but know some who do.  Not sure how they'd do in the rain though.

One thing to watch for in the ski goggles is whether they will fit over your eyeglasses, or have some kind of insert for a prescription set that clip inside the goggle.

The only thing I've ever found that works in a downpour is a full face helmet...the flip face actually are better because the visor is just a bit further from your mouth/nose than a regular fixed full face.  Might get a drip or two here and there down the neck, but just cracking the visor a hair keeps the lens clear, along with the lower vents being open. I used to fish every month of the year, rain or shine, and my bass boat would run 70mph...I had a full face helmet in the boat for rain/cold conditions.  At 70mph, rain HURTS when it hits your face.  

The Nolan 102 has been fine in this regard...even in the extreme heat we've had here the last few weeks, I've found the full face to actually be COOLER because it keeps the blast furnace air temp from hitting me squarely in the face as it does in a shorty.  I've just about given up on wearing the shorty on anything but short rides to dinner.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2007, 11:07:55 AM »

Setting the standard in goggle performance, our patented* Turbo Fan technology eliminates fog. A silent, 2-speed micro-electronic fan runs continuously for up to fifty hours to draw air through strategically placed vents, preventing moisture from setting up shop inside your goggle. The result is perfect vision. A high power mode can be activated to clear moisture build-up in extreme situations. Sleek, lightweight and hates fog as much as you do. The bar has officially been raised. 

http://www.smithoptics.com/Turbo-Option-OTG_16_102.html

Their site talks a lot about fog.  Never found one mention of rain though.  Wonder if the electrics would shock, fry or die and just how much water the venting system would let in?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.