Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Eyewear for heavy rain  (Read 13118 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Eyewear for heavy rain
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2007, 11:13:56 AM »

Combo ?

Miker

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2007, 11:15:38 AM »

Combo ?

Miker

No way.  Too much more chit to have to polish.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2007, 11:19:26 AM »

Their site talks a lot about fog.  Never found one mention of rain though.  Wonder if the electrics would shock, fry or die and just how much water the venting system would let in?

I sent them a list of questions Don. I may end up with a full face, but I am still leaning against it. Although, the discussion came up at dinner the other night (yep, you missed a good one) and after talking to Terry a bit on the subject I am falling off the fence a bit.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 11:27:14 AM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2007, 11:23:33 AM »

I sent them a list of questions Don. I may end up with a full face, but I am still leaning against it. Although, the discussion came at dinner the other night (yep, you missed a good one) and after talking to Terry a bit on the subject I am falling off the fence a bit.

Very sorry to have missed the group Duane.  Was really looking forward to it but just couldn't make the weekend free and still have everything needed done to leave on the vacation trip in a few days.  I'm sure it was my loss.

TC and Diva got the same helmet I've been using for a 18 months or so now.  I was leery getting started with it too.  Had never worn one before; not even around the block.  Really took very little getting used to though.  It also does its job.  It may not be what I use 100% of the time.  But it's what I use for anything but short hops.  Really like having it now.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2007, 11:24:33 AM »

Combo ?

Well Mike, this would work, but visibility is limited.

I have made about a dozen dives in a "Navy Mark V" (helmet pictured). And fogging is not an issue. Works on the same principal the "Smith" goggles work on.

Instead of a fan the air supply to the diver is free flow. Air flows from the surface through the helmet and escapes. Air is always flowing and lost, so the helmet does not fog up. Works well.

But the size of the compressor needed and the weight of the helmet (35 pounds) would be a bit much for running through the Ddragon.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2007, 11:26:39 AM »

No way.  Too much more chit to have to polish.

True Navy Mark V's are coated with solder, dull and silver, and need no polish. It is all the wannabes that have the polished brass - copper helmets on display

MV 2013

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »

Their site talks a lot about fog.  Never found one mention of rain though.  Wonder if the electrics would shock, fry or die and just how much water the venting system would let in?

You know rain.....if there's a place to get in it will..............

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2007, 11:33:41 AM »

You know rain.....if there's a place to get in it will..............

The inside of my headlight had moisture in it!

MV 2013

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2007, 11:48:40 AM »

I sent them a list of questions Don. I may end up with a full face, but I am still leaning against it. Although, the discussion came at dinner the other night (yep, you missed a good one) and after talking to Terry a bit on the subject I am falling off the fence a bit.

Duane...using the flip face allows you to flip it up at stoplights, etc to talk to others in the group you are riding with.  It's literally a two finger, one hand operation to flip.  It look a little goofy to ride with it flipped up, but I do so for short distances, like when you're passing through a small town, or going fairly slow.  Also, on the Nolan, the sunshade is very nice and eliminates the need for sunglasses in my case, but that depends to some extent on how that portion of the face shield lines up with where your eyes are set in your head. (Don's head did not allow him to enjoy that feature).  I can have the sunshade just one click up from all the way down and find it blocks all but the rising or setting sun, and I am looking through the clear visor.  My spectacles are transition lenses, so provide the same benefits as sunglasses.

I also have a HD flip face that I use on the Vrod (no need for the J&M headset built into the Nolan)...think it's the Stealth helmet, but it's built by KBC for HD.  It is VERY comfortable, and literally takes only your thumb to flip up, and it is extremely well vented.

If you wear glasses, the flip face helmets are the only way to go for a full face, as you don't have to remove your glasses to put the helmet on/off.

The Turbo Goggles for skiing would not work well, I don't think.  They are made for fogging that is encountered when it's 15 degrees outside and you're not moving...the little fan would suck moisture in...and I'm not sure they would fit over glasses.  Not many of the ski goggles fit over glasses.

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2007, 11:53:52 AM »

Duane...using the flip face allows you to flip it up at stoplights, etc to talk to others in the group you are riding with.  It's literally a two finger, one hand operation to flip.  

Still chuckle when I remember one unexpected side benefit.  First decent days ride I took with the new helmet was on a bright shiny spring day.  Definite sunburn type day if one didn't use the goop.

I stopped that night, got a cheap room and went about the business of meal, rest, etc.  Next morning noticed in the mirror over the basin that something wasn't right.  Couldn't put my finger on it.  But something was odd.  Thought about it for a moment, shaved, thought some more then realized; no owl eyes.  The UV protection in the face shield of the helmet.  Had never had that not happen before.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2007, 11:57:44 AM »

The Turbo Goggles for skiing would not work well, I don't think.  They are made for fogging that is encountered when it's 15 degrees outside and you're not moving...the little fan would suck moisture in...and I'm not sure they would fit over glasses.  Not many of the ski goggles fit over glasses.

These are actually a Turbo Moto X goggle that they have on site: http://www.smithoptics.com/Turbo-Option-OTG_16_102.html

Not sure any goggle would be efficient in a downpour though.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2007, 12:28:09 PM »

Been riding for a long time and have never found anything that works 100% of the time in all conditions.  The SPIT stuff is probably the best option.

Wait a minute, there is one thing that has always worked for me....a coffee shop to watch the rain from. :D ;D :D :) :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2007, 12:30:53 PM »

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2007, 12:42:47 PM »

So does shaving cream. I like the "coffee shop" :drink: better.

Miker

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2007, 01:14:51 PM »

In the really hard frog-strangler rains that Porthole is describing, the only thing I've found that works is take off all glasses (if you are not riding w/a flip-shield helmet), bend down and use your helmet visor (see chrome HD fender tip attached to helmet in avatar) to peer from beneath and ride until you can find some cover to wait for a drought.  :divers009: har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.