Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Eyewear for heavy rain  (Read 13252 times)

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
Re: Eyewear for heavy rain
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2007, 07:18:14 PM »

I sent them a list of questions Don. I may end up with a full face, but I am still leaning against it. Although, the discussion came up at dinner the other night (yep, you missed a good one) and after talking to Terry a bit on the subject I am falling off the fence a bit.

not DOT approved
SLASH

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2007, 12:47:18 PM »

In the really hard frog-strangler rains that Porthole is describing, the only thing I've found that works is take off all glasses (if you are not riding w/a flip-shield helmet), bend down and use your helmet visor (see chrome HD fender tip attached to helmet in avatar) to peer from beneath and ride until you can find some cover to wait for a drought.  :divers009: har!  :drink: spyder
I'm right there with ya my friend, this is all that works for me too.  I do want to warn some - mostly the ladies - that there are some eye creams that sting so bad when they run into your eyes that you can't see a thing if water starts to make that cream run into your eyes.  Just a heads up to know what creams might do this and make sure they do not get used on bike riding days.  Sometimes you can't plan the rain days, they just happen. 

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2007, 01:05:49 PM »

I'm right there with ya my friend, this is all that works for me too.  I do want to warn some - mostly the ladies - that there are some eye creams that sting so bad when they run into your eyes that you can't see a thing if water starts to make that cream run into your eyes.  Just a heads up to know what creams might do this and make sure they do not get used on bike riding days.  Sometimes you can't plan the rain days, they just happen. 
MrsWeCVO....I haven't been able to find a sunscreen that won't do just that to your eyes and the rain will surely flow it right into them (even the waterproof ones).....yeouch!  And Candy, what's the latest on your SEEG?  :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2007, 01:30:49 PM »

MrsWeCVO....I haven't been able to find a sunscreen that won't do just that to your eyes and the rain will surely flow it right into them (even the waterproof ones).....yeouch!  And Candy, what's the latest on your SEEG?  :-\ spyder

Spyd...look for sunscreens that are waterproof, but contain no PABA (don't know what that stands for, but it stings the hell out of your eyes), and are unscented.

Or, just wear a full face... ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2007, 01:47:14 PM »

Thanks for the no PABA tip, I will look for it, but the painful ingredient is in moiturisers too - I know I have a one I really like, that I do not apply on bike riding days, but do for the office kind of thing.  But have experienced same problem with some sunscreens, so will look at that too.  Re - full face, we do when it is cold or raining, but sometimes you are already wearing the shorty, and voila, the sky opens up for a few moments when it was not planned or expected.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2007, 01:55:41 PM »

:jack:
But, yes sunscreen can even be a problem if you sweat enough for it to run in your eyes.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2007, 02:49:59 PM »

Thanks for the no PABA tip, I will look for it, but the painful ingredient is in moiturisers too - I know I have a one I really like, that I do not apply on bike riding days, but do for the office kind of thing.  But have experienced same problem with some sunscreens, so will look at that too.  Re - full face, we do when it is cold or raining, but sometimes you are already wearing the shorty, and voila, the sky opens up for a few moments when it was not planned or expected.

Candy...a lot of the ladies moisturizers have sun block, as you know, and a lot of them contain the PABA stuff because of that.  Suzanne's makup even has sunblock in it too.  I use Neutragena (sp?) waterproof sunscreen lotion and have so far not had a problem with burning of the eyes, even at the beach where I generally sweat like a prostitute in church.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2007, 05:26:24 PM »

I've had the opportunity to try most of the various goggles/glasses on the market.  Even full faces fog/get rain inside them on me. >:(  I've decided that's life's way of telling me to have a cold/warm one, depending on when I'm riding. :pineapple: :orange: :huepfenjump3: :bananarock:  I've found I'm always better off afterwards.  I can always get there late.  Ain't nothing worth crashing for.  That may not be what you guys want to hear, but nothing works like you want it to.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2007, 10:09:52 AM »

I was on a poker run last weekend got caught in a 10 minute downpour in the mountains at the worst time just getting into the tightest up hill switchbacks I have ever ridden on. I only had regular sunglasses, the fogged up and had rain drops on the inside, I had to put then on top of my head so I could see going around those turns! Then as soon as we were thru the twisties it cleared up again, go figure. Could have used some sealed glasses then.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2007, 10:13:25 AM »

Then as soon as we were thru the twisties it cleared up again, go figure.

So you turned around, right  :nixweiss:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2007, 07:31:49 PM »

I also have never found anything that won't fog (have panoptx with convertible foam that pops out!), so looked into watersport goggles/glasses. I have many friend that surf and they have me this website to look at:  http://www.seaspecs.com/html/specifications.html 
I haven't tried them but the surfer/ jet ski group get spray in their face all the time, glasses don't fog (ventilated) and allow for water to "run out". ( similar to Oakley water sports).  Anybody tried them, since there appears to be no good way to maintain "rain vision". john
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2007, 01:52:03 PM »

It's not gonna resolve your goggle issues because present technology won't allow it, so short of a full face there is a product on the market which is a windscreen wiper for motorbikes.  2 types 1 manual wipe and the other connects to  your 12volt supply.  With a large screen this may help your goggles.

Hope it helps!! :-\

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2007, 01:59:45 PM »

How about technology coming up w/ lil wipers for the goggles?  ::) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2007, 10:10:28 PM »

Best eyeware I've found is my Nolan flip face helmet.  My head stays totally dry......and warm.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2007, 10:24:17 PM »

Best eyeware I've found is my Nolan flip face helmet.  My head stays totally dry......and warm.
Yeah, but, JC.....I found it almost impossible to wear the full helmet this summer down here in the extreme heat.  But, they're nice beginning about now.  :P har!  :drink: spyder
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 22 queries.