Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WINDSHIELD HARDWARE  (Read 2342 times)

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
WINDSHIELD HARDWARE
« on: August 30, 2007, 09:06:17 PM »

Will the hardware from a standard Road King windshield fit the '07 SERK?  I guess the question really is whether the windshield docking hardware is the same on the Road King, Road King Classic, and the SERK?

I was going to use my hardware with the 7-bolt pattern and just go with a Clearview shield, but the 7-bolt pattern is too low (the horizontal bar is too low) and doesn't seem to allow the use of the windshield bag.  I'm thinking about going to a standard RK windshield so I can reuse the bag off of my first Harley - an '03 Silver/Black Road King Classic.

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
Re: WINDSHIELD HARDWARE
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 09:09:17 PM »

the docking kit on the bike itself will be the same for all roadkings,, unless you have the old style roadlight bar.
so,,, basically if you don't have the OLD road lights,, you should be good to go.

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 09:21:17 PM »

Well, that's what I thought, but you should have heard the disclaimer that I got from the parts guy that I talked to at my local dealer.  He wasn't sure that a Road King windshield would fit on a CVO Road King.  I just don't think the MOCO would change the mounts for the SERKs.  I think that they put worthless windshields on the SERKs just so folks could buy new Harley windshields to install.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »

Well, that's what I thought, but you should have heard the disclaimer that I got from the parts guy that I talked to at my local dealer.  He wasn't sure that a Road King windshield would fit on a CVO Road King.  I just don't think the MOCO would change the mounts for the SERKs.  I think that they put worthless windshields on the SERKs just so folks could buy new Harley windshields to install.

I thought you knew better than to ask them. ::) Ask us or do a search. I did a whole thread on it. And yes the 5-hole works fine w/the SERK. I've been running it from day one on mine! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 11:18:12 PM »

And yes the winshield bag will fit. Just need to drill a few extra hole to mount it. I like the bag mounted low, more view through the windshield.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 06:16:46 PM by hdbrad03 »
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 02:24:38 PM »

I drilled the extra holes. Go to HD and buy 4 bolts the same length (3/4") as the 2 outside bolts. That allows for them to go through he windshield bar, the bag leather and the bar inside the bag.

I took the 5 center bolts out, mounted the bag with the center bolt (llike you do on a regular windshield) and drilled a "starter" hole (small bit) from the outside bar through the openings into the leather. Took the bag off, put a block of wood inside and drilled using the starter markings.

The bag sits low, looks great.
2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 03:14:03 PM »

I just go a Clearveiw 17 inch recurve mounted on the seven bolt hardware and love it. It is a great product. I also have the standard Road King windshield with a 2 inch taller and 2 inch wider for winter by Cee Baileys. They are both great products.
Mikey
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 10:52:53 PM »

I thought you knew better than to ask them. ::) Ask us or do a search. I did a whole thread on it. And yes the 5-hole works fine w/the SERK. I've been running it from day one on mine! ;)

Hoist! 8)
I thought that I remembered something about you going with the standard RK windshield.  I should have done a search, but bringing it up again allows more folks to get involved in the conversation.  Thanks!

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 10:55:03 PM »

And yes the winshield bag will fit. Just need to drill a few extra hole to mount it. I like the bag mounted low, more view tough the windshield.
I had considered doing what you suggested, but it looked like the bag would get down against the head light nacelle.  I was concerned about the vibration marring the chrome.

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 05:35:58 AM »

I have the 5 hole hardware from a RK Kingsize windshield with a 19.5" Clearview recurve screen - works fine.

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 08:41:27 AM »

I did the Clearview shield thing too and ordered the seven hole pattern to match up with the hardware that came on the SERK.  There was a little problem with the curvature of the shield not matching up with the curvature of the hardware.  I've sent the shield with hardware (and the original short, dark shield) out to Clearview.  They're reviewing the situation and I know they'll make it right.  I've just decided that I may like the horizontal brace being a little higher and being able to use my '03 windshield bag without any modifications.

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.