Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: exhausting search  (Read 21872 times)

RedFXR2

Re: exhausting search
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 04:04:48 PM »

Well I just had the parts guy at Steve Drane HD in Victoria run those numbers and tell me they are no good in Canada.......does that mean NO dealers have one on there shelves?

Pretty much.  Technically it means that no dealer *knows* of one on their shelves.  It's always possible that somewhere out there is your part number at a dealer who hasn't taken an accurate inventory lately, and then entered that data in the HD dealer parts database.  But I know that's not much consolation.

But stay optimistic and diligent.  Not long after I got my FXR2 (I'm the second owner) I decided that the Badlander seat had to go, but what I really wanted was the seat off of an FXR3 or 4.  Already discontinued by HD, I found each through the dealer network, but they were expensive.  So I surfed ebay daily.  Amazingly, I found a nearly new FXR3 seat in Washington state and bought it immediately for much less than retail.  I've had it on the bike ever since and I've never seen another like it on ebay.  Point is, that stuff sometimes shows up there that you really don't think you'll find.

After all this, I'll certainly keep an eye out for them.  Keep watching the catalog places, too.  Dennis Kirk, for example, carries Kerker and has closeouts all the time.  Some Indy shops have stuff on their shelves or walls that they've nearly forgotten about, themselves.

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin
  • FXR3 in current form w/Kerker/HD exhaust

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Blue
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 05:17:28 PM »

I'll definetly keep my eye's open.  In the mean time I want to do something about the FXR3's exhaust, I'm thinking a Kerker Super Meg Slip-on for the HD 2-1 lead pipes that are on the bike now. They come in several collector sizes and are tunable. Truth is I dont mind the look of the HD 2-1 but that system was on the bike when I bought it and someone had butchered the baffles and it sounded awful so I basically removed everything behind the end cap and although it sounds better it's too loud!  Probably is hurting low and mid range power too.  I have the stock pipes but I don't care for the look. They're too ordinary, not different enough for a special bike. I've looked at RB Racings product and I like their ideas about what makes a really good exhaust, but I'm not sold on the style. I'll keep shopping. I'm sure something will turn up, and again....thanks for the help! I've kinda lost touch with a lot of people I used to ride with (with a few exceptions). You know life, jobs, and kids people move, priorities change etc ....so the last few days communicating with you guys has rekindled those good times. Cheers, Robin

RedFXR2

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 09:13:54 PM »

I've kinda lost touch with a lot of people I used to ride with (with a few exceptions). You know life, jobs, and kids people move, priorities change etc ....

Big high five to all that.  Amen, amen.

RedFXR2

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 09:21:18 PM »

Since you like Kerker and you seem to like 2-1, have you seen this on ebay right now?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kerker-2-into-1-exhaust-pipes-for-Harley-Davidson-EVO_W0QQitemZ180155706513QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180155706513

I found it while I was looking for the Kerker pipes that started this thread.  Might be old news to you.

RedFXR2

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 09:47:22 PM »

One more thing.  Here's the Supertrapp/Kerker exhaust site.  There are pipes under 2-2 megaphone series that are really close to the ones you seek.  As well as other models for FXR's both 2-2 and 2-1.  Just something to think about.

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=9

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 10:03:05 PM »

Wow again!  Thanks for pulling another rabbit out of the hat! I thought I was on top of the available exhaust on ebay.  This one would have slipped by me because (I guess) of the way this seller listed (ie) Kerker first instead of- HD; exhaust; Kerker; etc. I should expand my searches .   That does look like it would bolt on, has heat shields, looks like it's in good shape too.  So many ebay sellers post really crappy pictures!  These are actually decent. I'll definetly look into those.
 On another front, I did some more research on RB Racing and found some pipes "Mega Megs" that look very similar (I think) to the 2-2 Kerkers I'm after. I'll post the image below. I didn't realize that RB Racing had more than their 2-1 "Black Hole" exhaust.  If you read their website it seems they ARE number 1 and don't have much respect for the competion as far as performance, construction and design. Do you know anyone personally who's used their products? I guess I've been out of the loop for too long.
 Thanks for tip on the Supertrapp/Kerker # I have looked at those and they are close in looks.  I haven't ruled them out, but before I spend over $800 I'd like to see a good picture of those ON an FXR.  I can't seem to find one and  SuperTrapp won't supply one!  There must be an image out there. But you'd think Supertrapp/Kerker would have something on file??? Thanks a million again Robin

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 10:07:25 PM »

. . . I've kinda lost touch with a lot of people I used to ride with (with a few exceptions). You know life, jobs, and kids people move, priorities change etc ....so the last few days communicating with you guys has rekindled those good times. Cheers, Robin

Boy, can I relate to that!

Anyway, "Red" has given you a lot of good pointers on how to seek some of this stuff out.  The only thing I would add to what he said is to let the internet work for you by setting up searches on eBay for anything and everything FXR and for the part numbers of the pipes you are looking for.  I think some of the other internet-based marketplaces like http://www.nosparts.com/, http://www.usedhogparts.com/ and some others might also have automated search engines that can send you e-mail replies when new stuff pops up like eBay can.  You might also try contacting some outfits like that who specialize in NOS and obsolete H-D stuff to see if they can give you any other leads on any parts you're looking for.

Good luck and keep us posted on how the search goes!

RedFXR2

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 10:43:15 PM »

Found a pic of a RB 2-1 LSR on a FXRT. A bit more conventional lookiing FXR than the yellow full custom FXR.

RedFXR2

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 10:50:04 PM »

And one more:

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 01:05:39 AM »

I noticed those Kerker 2 into 2's because I have a freind that has those on his 85 wide glide, they really bark, I know he has had them around for a long time, I will ask if he knows where to get them these days.

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 01:24:04 AM »

Yeah Rooster! those were the best sounding pipes I've ever had. You could take the fiberglass packing out and those pipes sounded really throaty and strong at idle but when you screwed it on or launched they ROARED I'm sure there's better technology out there now but I like the fact they have a HD part number and were installed on bikes from the dealer,  I think they'd be appropriate on my FXR3. I thank for looking into it! I would like to see a picture of your buddies 85 WG. I don't suppose he's tired of them and wants to sell them to a guy who has a good home for them?  This forum just keeps getting better!

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 01:43:08 AM »

I doubt you could talk him out of them. I remember looking at them and thinking I didn't really like the looks but man they sounded awsome first time I heard them he has an Ultima 113" motor hooked to them.

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 02:01:56 AM »

Well I'm not sure what they'd look like on a WG but I'd like to see a picture! I'm really doubtful I'll separate those pipes from anyone but I do know that if you don't ask you likely won't know, I don't want to disrespect anyone either,  I realize there's guys that might take offence to being asked to part with their creations or pieces of them. Thanks I really appreciate the help,Robin.

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 02:05:47 AM »

Anyone noticed this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&viewitem=&item=220145193909&_trksid=p3907.m32

Looking at the price of this bike got me thinking about why they don't seem to hold their value as you might expect that really limited edition factory customs would. It occurred to me after reading someones post in this forum that "people not knowing about CVO's" was probably the issue. And just today I was talking to an HD Parts guy about my exhaust search. The mention of a 1999 FXR made him say "they stopped making FXR's in '94." I said "except for the CVO's yeah".....CVwhat?? He'd never heard of CVO. This isn't the first time a service writer or parts guy has said that to me and I know others have had the same experience.  I can't understand why? I know the bikes were "really expensive " one HD owner said to me "we didn't think we'd sell any." But HD's idea was to promote their products on those bikes why are there so many uninformed HD staff? Someone must have a theory?

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 02:07:23 AM »

No problem, next time I see him I will ask about them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 20 queries.