Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: CVO FATBOY SEAT REPLACEMENT  (Read 23287 times)

tmitchellofpg

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: CVO FATBOY SEAT REPLACEMENT
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2008, 11:42:29 AM »

Would love to see pics with the Sundowner deep bucket.  Hey by the way, that is the same color 05 SE Fatboy that I have!

Here's one picture. This is the Sundowner smooth. You can pay $30 more for the Fat Boy version, which is identical with the exception of some grommets and laces. I doubt if anyone uses the hold strap, so I left it in the box.
Tom

tmitchellofpg

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2008, 11:46:46 AM »

Here is a picture from another angle. The main reason I  bought the Sundowner was for the comfort of the passenger pillion. I bought it for function not looks, but after putting it on I didn't think it looked all that bad.
Tom

JulieBahrain

• CVO1: 2008 Ultra
    • CVO2: 2006 Fat Boy
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »

From both a rider and pillion point of view, the Sundowner is super-comfy.  Pic of ours attached :)
2008 Rocker C
2008 Ultra CVO
2006 Fat Boy CVO
2003 V-Rod 100th Anniv

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2008, 06:05:23 PM »

From both a rider and pillion point of view, the Sundowner is super-comfy.  Pic of ours attached :)

julie,

Welcome to the site, I was wondering if the bumpers on the sundowner that come in contact with the fender under the seat sit on the clear protective layer, or do they contact the paint. My Corbin gunfighter has bumpers outside of the protective film and I have to use a couple of stickers under those pads or they will damage the paint.
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

tmitchellofpg

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2008, 06:50:53 PM »

My Sundowner deep bucket seat, the smooth model, only has one bumper. It is in the middle of the seat about 6" from the forward end. You can see, in the picture I attached, where there are 2 open areas where you might think bumpers would go. These open areas are 11" forward of where you screw the seat down onto the rear fender. I doubt if putting bumpers there would help the paint on the rear fender.
The seat is well formed to the arch of the fender left to right. It surprised me as to how well it nests on the fender.
My SE seat and pass. pillion goes a few inches further back, on the rear fender. When I put the Sundowner seat on the protective film can be seen aft of the seat. I thought that was good, since it shows that the fender is protected beyond where the Sundowner nests.
Now you have me concerned, since the film isn't as wide as the fender, which is fine protection for the stock SE seat, but the Sundowner is wider then the fender. I could put more film on the fender, but when I switch back to the SE seat the film will show.
Any suggestions?
Julie,
Does your seat bottom look like mine or does yours have more bumpers? Has your Sundowner scratched your paint? Do you ride with a passenger?
Thanks,
Tom 

Dougherty20

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2008, 07:09:44 PM »

My Sundowner deep bucket seat, the smooth model, only has one bumper. It is in the middle of the seat about 6" from the forward end. You can see, in the picture I attached, where there are 2 open areas where you might think bumpers would go. These open areas are 11" forward of where you screw the seat down onto the rear fender. I doubt if putting bumpers there would help the paint on the rear fender.
The seat is well formed to the arch of the fender left to right. It surprised me as to how well it nests on the fender.
My SE seat and pass. pillion goes a few inches further back, on the rear fender. When I put the Sundowner seat on the protective film can be seen aft of the seat. I thought that was good, since it shows that the fender is protected beyond where the Sundowner nests.
Now you have me concerned, since the film isn't as wide as the fender, which is fine protection for the stock SE seat, but the Sundowner is wider then the fender. I could put more film on the fender, but when I switch back to the SE seat the film will show.
Any suggestions?
Julie,
Does your seat bottom look like mine or does yours have more bumpers? Has your Sundowner scratched your paint? Do you ride with a passenger?
Thanks,
Tom 

Just won and ebay bid for a Sundowner Deep Pocket for a Fatboy, with the chrome grommets, laces, and fatboy logo, for $202.50!  Guess we'll see!  Thanks for all the info.

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2008, 09:48:11 PM »

Any suggestions?
Julie,
Thanks,
Tom 

They may have removed the bumpers by design, thinking that without them it will spread the load out and not create any point contact areas rubbing against the paint. Hopfully most of the load is on the top of the fender where it is protected, and if the seat is all soft on the underside and not sliding around when secured you should be OK. Do you see any evidence of wear on your clear coat, if so you could do what I did.  have you ever seen those static cling stickers for car windows, you just press them against the glass and squeeze out the bubbles and they stay in place until you peel them off. I had a couple of Chicago Bear static stickers that I had to sacrifice to protect my paint. I cut them into a couple of rectangles and when I put the Corbin on I clean everything and then press them down on the paint and overlap the existing clear protector, they are very secure and the bumpers do not contact any part of the paint anymore. when I change the seat I just peel them off
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 09:50:28 PM by EAGLE1 »

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2008, 09:53:58 PM »

I would like a more permanent solution, like getting Corbin to make me a couple of extra bumpers that I can attach to the two bolts that hold that silver bracket that secures the seat in the rear. with the Corbin you have to get another threaded insert for the front hole in the fender, the rear one is not used. so I could also screw a bumper down on that threaded insert on the fender to keep the back of the seat from making contact as there are two bumper all the way in back as well, but they have never left a mark yet.

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2008, 10:01:27 PM »

another shot of the static stickers, I hope you don't have any wear but if you do this really works for me, even with all the load of the passenger on those two little bumpers. what a horse chit design  >:( unfortunately, that Corbin is the most comfortable seat I have ever owned  :-\

tmitchellofpg

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2008, 10:26:28 PM »

That static decal film is a great idea. It shouldn't pull the paint off when I take it off to put the SE seat back on.
Tom

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2008, 10:53:14 PM »

That static decal film is a great idea. It shouldn't pull the paint off when I take it off to put the SE seat back on.
Tom

no way, I have had mine on for months at a time with no issues, they just peel off on the paint like they would on a window, its just static friction which keeps them in place you will be fine  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.