Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Where the hell is neutral?  (Read 7160 times)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
Where the hell is neutral?
« on: December 29, 2003, 01:58:13 PM »

Before any of you respond, I think we have to give JCZ a few miutes to get up off the floor.[smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] If any others feel the need to double over, please feel free to move yourselves away from your keyboard for a moment and do so.  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]O.K. Is everybody back now?

Hear me out. When I picked up my bike and drove it to the side parking lot (to put my riding gear on), I proceded to try to find neutral. The salseman immediately remarked that Harley neutral's can be difficult. I've got around 350 miles on my bike right now and it is no easier. I end up at toll booths and have to dicker around far too long to get into neutral. I found that no matter how slight I move up from first it goes to second. However, when I push down from second I can get to neutral much easier. I did not have this difficulty with the Honda or Kawasaki bikes I rode. What gives? Syn3 oil? Newby? O.K. Let the roast begin! [smiley=nervous.gif]  

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Where the hell is neutral?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 02:30:59 PM »

i,m having same problem ,me thinks syn3,might have something to do with it, also i shift heal/toe  and i,m going to reposition levers to match other bikes . no flack  from  me on that one if ya can,t find it ya can find it,and i can live without netural anyway regards-ak
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 04:11:16 PM »

Sounds all to familiar had the same problem with syn 3
changed to red line shock proof and the problem went away.  See syn oil topic for more info.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 04:50:56 PM »

A little trick I learned from my old sporster and my roadking with a 6 speed revtec tranny...

With the clutch engaged (full sqeezed for any newbies) rev the engine to about 2000 or 2500 in a short burst (as soon as it reaches the rpm release the throttle). About the time you relase the throttle try shifting to neutral.  I have had no problem with my SEEG but I do this out of habit every time.
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

starvin

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 05:04:56 PM »

wait til your neutral light quits working, (which it probably will) that makes it so much easier. For the little we pay for these bikes you can not expect every little thing to work.  [smiley=drink.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 10:47:55 PM »

wait til your neutral light quits working, (which it probably will) that makes it so much easier. For the little we pay for these bikes you can not expect every little thing to work.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2004, 07:24:40 PM »

Thanks much gentlemen! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] As soon as spring comes I will try out your suggestions on shifting. The next time I stop at the Maine Turnpike Toolbooth, I'll be able to slip right into neutral as I glide to a stop lookin so cool.  8) I hope I remember to brake!  ::)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2004, 07:31:11 PM »

When you get good, you'll be able to shift to neutral without your clutch, just using your throttle and "feel"

I'm assuming your referring to a "power shift" so to speak as in a stick shift-- roll off the throttle and when you feel the "slack" nudge it into neutral?

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2004, 07:42:38 PM »

** (side note)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2004, 08:49:04 PM »

"Thanks for helping me find neutral on my bike guys, see ya in Sturgis!"
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2004, 02:26:32 PM »

I think I'll be tooling around on this site for some time before I venture out of the Northeast. Seems a bit overwhelming at this point. I mean lets put this in perspective now, "Thanks for helping me find neutral on my bike guys, see ya in Sturgis!"
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2004, 10:12:19 PM »

i hope you'll be headin to laconia this year [smiley=beerchug.gif]

Yeah, I think I'll be heading up to Laconia.

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2004, 10:14:31 PM »

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2004, 10:27:36 PM »

With the clutch engaged (full sqeezed for any newbies) rev the engine to about 2000 or 2500 in a short burst (as soon as it reaches the rpm release the throttle). About the time you relase the throttle try shifting to neutral.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 10:45:10 PM by psychodeuce »

starvin

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 11:45:29 PM »

hey physco another thing you might want to keep in mind is that when your neutral light quits working and you get frustrated trying to find neutral before shutting off your bike so you just turn it off in gear becuse everyone is looking at you, remember that when you go to start it and your just standing along side of it and you flip the key on and hit the starter, there is no safety device that will prevent the motor from turning over whithout the clutch being pulled in. NO this did not happen to me but it did to a buddy of mine at a rally. It seemed the farther away from his bike you were parked the funnier it was.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 22 queries.