Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Where the hell is neutral?  (Read 7218 times)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
Re: Where the hell is neutral?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2004, 01:06:11 AM »

remember that when you go to start it and your just standing along side of it and you flip the key on and hit the starter

You know, this is one thing I will never do. I'm sure I'll do other stuff, and I'll tell ya as it happens for sure. But
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 01:16:49 AM by psychodeuce »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2004, 10:18:01 PM »

Psycho........now I'm concerned!  Are you saying that you'll never hit the starter button to learn that your bike is in gear......never??

You're a better man than me.  In my book, that's kind of like saying "I'll never drop my bike".  I don't make a habit of it and I haven't dropped my bike in a lot of years (knock on wood) but to those nay sayers I say "you just haven't rode enough yet". lol

Sooner or later......it happens to the most cautious and careful rider......usually, when the person is very, very tired or fatigued (like the end of a 800 or 1,000 mile day).

As I've stated before, just my opnion.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2004, 10:19:54 PM »

Was just thinkin' the first time either of those things happen to Psycho he's gonna say "that damn J.C.!" LOL, LOL [smiley=6.gif] [smiley=7.gif] [smiley=6.gif] [smiley=7.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2004, 09:09:10 AM »

Hey gotta blame someone, nevere say never.  I've done it once  [smiley=confused5.gif] ok maybe twice.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2004, 07:50:24 PM »

As I said gentlemen, I certainly don't believe I will ever hit the starter while standing along side my bike. I'm just too self-consious to be seen running along side my bike trying to catch up to it (is that what happens?). The clutch is the first thing that gets attention when I sit on my bike.

However, lets say that the stars, planets, moon, wind patterns, and tides all line up in perfect unison and meet the conditions as suggested by JC, and I fail to engage the clutch prior to hitting that aformentioned button, I would be on, and the operative word is "on" my bike!  8) So at least I would be riding on top of that pony as it lunges forward (unless I have it in reverse ???) and tries to buck me off.

In the interest of full disclosure here, and I do feel a sort of lets say connectedness to you fellow cvo'ers, I have hit that very same button, while off the bike, yes while off the bike [smiley=nervous.gif], ........ I can hear you JC all the way from New Hampshire, "Psycho just said he wouldn't hit the starter while off his bike and he just said he did, what a _______!",  but don't celebrate yet with your gotcha's JC, fellow biker afficionado, because the bike was already running!!! So there!!  [smiley=bigok.gif] So what if I was going for the kill switch and it the wrong one! [smiley=confused5.gif]

However, if a new star was born in the vacinity of this very planet, at the very same time the above mentioned conditions were occuring simultaneously, and the resultant radiation affected my brain such that my judgement was impaired, and I did engage in the very behavior as suggested by JC, I sure as hell would not admit to him!    

I can see it now, I'll do the damn thing at some rally JC finally gets me to go to and we meet up for the first time!  That'll be a good dose of humility!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2004, 08:01:38 PM »

Humility = humbleness.  I'm laughing so damn hard I can hardly type.

Psycho it doesn't do much other than lurch forward what seems like feet but is actually just inches.  Because you're not expecting it when it happens, it startles the chit out of you.  And of course everybody else is standing around laughing and teasing you cause we've all done it.

There was a time on my stroker Heritage that I had already picked it up off the kickstand and was sitting on it, left hand in my lap (or just hanging) as I hit the starter......I was off balance, grabbed the bars with both hands and was bouncing along, off balance, on my right foot (it started).

It is rare that it will actually start.....the reflex is to let go of it (the starter) a little faster than immediatly.....as you try to regain your composure and take a second to figure out what the hell you just did. lol  Personally, I can't wait for it to happen.....we will not know it, but you will! ;D

West Coast GTG   

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2004, 01:55:24 AM »

OK I'm up now. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]. I've also found that shifting to neutral just before the bike comes to a complete stop works best. Good luck!
18,900 I gotta slow down!.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2004, 06:35:39 PM »

I rode AK's SEEG for about 40 miles last night.  I didn't find neutral to be any harder to find than it was on my Ultra Classics.  Always easier, if you're still rolling.  But even at a dead stop......treat it like a woman, very gentle and there it is. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

West Coast GTG   

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2004, 06:49:35 PM »

wait til your neutral light quits working, (which it probably will) that makes it so much easier. For the little we pay for these bikes you can not expect every little thing to work.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2004, 09:27:19 PM »

One_SE, i think starvin was just having a little fun with that post, and even if he was being serious please remember everyone on this site has their own opinions and that we will all disagree from time to time, but taking personal jabs at each other is not cool and per the posting guidelines http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=CVO_SITE;action=display;num=1073585832 will not be tolerated
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2004, 11:27:36 PM »

I've seen some other posts pop up in other forums (one from another SE Deuce) with the exact same problem that I was having (finding neutral). It will be interesting to see if the person is a new rider as well. I look forward to trying the recommendations from this string. 8)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 11:43:21 PM by psychodeuce »

starvin

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2004, 08:54:49 AM »

If you are so dis-illusioned, why do you ride them - to try to fit in to a crowd you idolize?

not sure you're looking for an answer but I'll give you one anyway, first off who said I was dis-illusioned, when I bought my first new bike (02 flhtci) I was well aware that even though I was paying a premium price theres always going to be something not quite right. After 20k miles the only complaints I had were that the neutral light did not work and my gas gauge fogged up so bad you couldn't read it. HD (the company not my dealer) agreed to try to fix the neutral light but said it was a common problem, as far as the gauge they would not do anything as this is to be expected. My response was for the $20,000 they could put in nitrogen filled gauges. I have come across several people with the same problems. If HD hears no complaints why would they change anything. If I would not of been happy with this bike I certainly would not of turned around and bought the FLHTCSE I do not have that kind of money to try fit in. And as far as that goes there is no one living that I idolize and the few people that I do ride with don't think much of anyone who has a bike newer than a 1950. They don't make the trips me and my wife make so they understand why I bought it but believe me they are not impressed, which does'nt matter. I like it thats all that counts. PLEASE do not include me in any future attempts to start an argument this is the only board I have ever posted on becuse I did not like the bickering of who's a "biker" and who's not or the ever popular pros and cons of trailering your bike. From what I can tell from most of the people on this site is the only argument that will happen if we meet is who will buy the first beer. I would like to keep it that way.

later

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2004, 09:41:40 AM »

[smiley=beerchug.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=beerchug.gif]I'm buying!!!
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2004, 10:24:46 AM »

I'm locking this thread cuz the conversation has strayed away from the original topic.  If there are any other discussions about nuetral please start a new topic

thank you
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.