Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Camera/Camcorder Mount  (Read 1521 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Camera/Camcorder Mount
« on: September 11, 2007, 05:01:12 PM »

Since I recently got a camcorder, and my intention is to shoot some video while riding, I was searching for ways to mount and easily remove the camcorder from the bike without messing up the positioning of the RAM mount.  I have found a company that is not only a good source for RAM mounts for all things electronic you might want to put on your bike, but makes a special quick release for a camera/camcorder.  They also make them for other devices as well.

Their customer service is OUTSTANDING!!  They called me to confirm my order, had it to me in two short days (shipped Sat, received Monday), and did a follow-up call this afternoon to ensure I was happy with the product.

Plate mounts to camera or camcorder with the normal 10/24 threads for tripod mounting on the bottom of most film/video devices.  Plate snaps into the quick release, closing the release latch at the same time.  Flip the locking lever to prevent accidental release (operator error) and you're done.  Works like many other tripod heads used in photography.

They offer a miriad of other products, so take a look at their website for ideas.

http://mountinginnovations.com/

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Camera/Camcorder Mount
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 05:24:20 PM »

Have RAM mounts on both bike they work very good.  Thanks for the link.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

WildClyde

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 FLHXSE
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 05:43:38 PM »

A much better mount is at http://www.cammount.com/. Why? Because it sits taller, and can be moved around with the squeeze of the handle - plus it has a built in level bubble. My favorite thing on the way to Sturgis was to wave at train engineers to see if I could get them to blow the train horn back. I got a 50% hit rate: 6 waves and 3 horn blasts. Yes!

You gotta love it when the lens of the camera gets a bug splatter. It happened to me once on my way to/from Sturgis from SF.

Clyde

hogasm

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 05:52:47 PM »

Terry, have you checked into using an external camera, ie a helmet cam, along with your cam corder?

I have been looking into this with little success. Just can't figure out this internet thing.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 06:12:55 PM »

Terry, have you checked into using an external camera, ie a helmet cam, along with your cam corder?

I have been looking into this with little success. Just can't figure out this internet thing.

Brian....the bullet cams will feed into some of the more high end camcorders with an external video-in port.  Most of the good quality, but relatively inexpensive camcorders do not have this feature.  I consulted with a resident expert here on the site who has done much of this, and his suggestion to keep things simple, yet effective, with good quality, was to get what I got.  The RAM mount only leaves the Uclamp and ball on the bars, and that can be removed with a deep well 7/16" socket and 1/4" ratchet, so doesn't take much room in the bike.  If you get the 5.5" stem for the RAM, it gets the camera just to the right of the windshield, with a clear view ahead, and can be angled every which way.  I was also told that the mini DV tapes work best, as there is too much vibration on the bike for the hard drives or DVD type camcorders.  My HC48 Sony was only $339 through B&H photo.  Of course, I had to OCD it, so got a small bag, UV filter, polarizer, and wide angle lens.  The little camera only weighs 1.3 lbs, and has a chit load of features.  I'm going to test it on the HS trip, so we'll see if I'm smart enough to figure out how to use it!!    ??? ???
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

hogasm

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 08:47:52 PM »

Brian....the bullet cams will feed into some of the more high end camcorders with an external video-in port.  Most of the good quality, but relatively inexpensive camcorders do not have this feature.  I consulted with a resident expert here on the site who has done much of this, and his suggestion to keep things simple, yet effective, with good quality, was to get what I got.  The RAM mount only leaves the Uclamp and ball on the bars, and that can be removed with a deep well 7/16" socket and 1/4" ratchet, so doesn't take much room in the bike.  If you get the 5.5" stem for the RAM, it gets the camera just to the right of the windshield, with a clear view ahead, and can be angled every which way.  I was also told that the mini DV tapes work best, as there is too much vibration on the bike for the hard drives or DVD type camcorders.  My HC48 Sony was only $339 through B&H photo.  Of course, I had to OCD it, so got a small bag, UV filter, polarizer, and wide angle lens.  The little camera only weighs 1.3 lbs, and has a chit load of features.  I'm going to test it on the HS trip, so we'll see if I'm smart enough to figure out how to use it!!    ??? ???

Just looked at our camcorder. It is a JVC. All it has is a AV jack. Think it is only video out.

Oh well had visions in my head.

Thanks   Brian

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.