Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 201

Author Topic: Do you carry?  (Read 588047 times)

212hjet

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Do you carry?
« Reply #720 on: January 03, 2009, 02:15:27 PM »

You mean like a 642....wouldn't know anything about those.  1ABA.... I think your question answers the question you posed, in regards to you packing a firearm.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #721 on: January 03, 2009, 03:20:47 PM »

Goldarnitalltoheck Dood you're fast on the merge thing.   :)

Back to topic.   :jack:

Other than pasting the hint on his forehead what other choice did he have?

Quote from: 1abastarsmda on Today at 12:59:26 PM
That aims me at a question, but I'm going to post it as a new topic...regarding guns and bikes.

Have you seen this thread - Do you carry?

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #722 on: January 03, 2009, 03:31:57 PM »

You mean like a 642....wouldn't know anything about those.  1ABA.... I think your question answers the question you posed, in regards to you packing a firearm.

I'm guessing that what you are saying is to forget about purchasing a gun...and just be happy that those I ride with carry one.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
Re: Hand guns carried on bikes?
« Reply #723 on: January 03, 2009, 03:56:03 PM »

I've noticed that a good many people that I ride with carry guns with them.  I'm just not sure how this comes in handy with them locked in the tourpack.  At what point do you get a gun out?  Is there really a good reason to carry one with you on a bike...versus any other time?  This is a serious question.  I've been shopping around online lately, looking at them.  I'm just not quite sure what the reason I would be getting it for.  I would think that I could end up in irreversible trouble by having one.  I'm sure I'll spark some people to respond to this one.
I believe you should work through the issues you have mentioned before you buy a gun.  There are some excellent books out that should help you.  One I would recommend is titled "In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob. 
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #724 on: January 03, 2009, 04:04:02 PM »

I believe you should work through the issues you have mentioned before you buy a gun.  There are some excellent books out that should help you.  One I would recommend is titled "In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob. 

HeHe!!! I thought you were joking and referring to a Terrorist! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;D ;D ;D

Had to look it up:

In The Gravest Extreme - Massad Ayoob

The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection The modern classic book that AMERICAN HANDGUNNER calls "must reading for anyone who owns a firearm for self defense". This best seller is widely acclaimed by cops, lawyers, and judges as the ultimate guide to the use of a gun's deadly force at the ultimate level of self protection. Numerous lawyers have said that they learned more about self defense law from this book than they did in law school. Often imitated but never equaled, In The Gravest Extreme tells it like it is, and prepares you to protect you and yours against criminal violence without being crucified for it in court. Anti-gunners call it "a guide on how to kill criminals and get away with it," but men like Lt. Frank McGee, former head of firearms training for New York City Police Department, say it's "must reading" for anyone who keeps a gun for self defense. Welcome to the reality of the street in a book that also makes a memorable gift to anyone who keeps a gun in their home. 130 pgs, illust., softcover

It wasn't a joke, and sounds interesting! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #725 on: January 03, 2009, 04:23:14 PM »

I note that this was published in 1980. While it received rave reviews, no doubt there's been many changes in the laws, technology and attitudes in the U.S. over the past 28 years or so. Any idea of a similar reference which is more up to date?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #726 on: January 03, 2009, 04:34:14 PM »

I note that this was published in 1980. While it received rave reviews, no doubt there's been many changes in the laws, technology and attitudes in the U.S. over the past 28 years or so. Any idea of a similar reference which is more up to date?
I'd still read Ayoob's book.....it covers the basic concepts of using deadly force w/o sugar-coating it and w/o adding the macho precepts.  Gotta have your 'mind' right before 'carrying'.  :-X  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #727 on: January 03, 2009, 05:14:52 PM »

As others have pointed out, the basic concepts don't change, but if you can get your hands on the American Handgunner Personal Defense 2008 special edition annual, it has some really good articles.  It was put out August 12, 2008.  (There's also a great article in it by Mr. Ayoob).  You may be able to order it at www.americanhandgunner.com
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

serghaven

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #728 on: January 03, 2009, 06:25:12 PM »

I carry because its my right. I have a licence to carry a gun. I do not have a licence to pull my gun. That is something you need to remember. To use your gun to protect your bike would be a good way to lose your bike in a lawsuit. I do not carry it in a tour pak it is on my hip at all time. In my state you do not have to conceal the gun. so,  if anyone was messing with my bike and I were to walk up to them with my 45 on my hip, it would get their attention. If you ever do need to pull you gun. Remember dead people can not sue.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #729 on: January 03, 2009, 06:45:11 PM »

I carry because its my right. I have a licence to carry a gun. I do not have a licence to pull my gun. That is something you need to remember. To use your gun to protect your bike would be a good way to lose your bike in a lawsuit. I do not carry it in a tour pak it is on my hip at all time. In my state you do not have to conceal the gun. so,  if anyone was messing with my bike and I were to walk up to them with my 45 on my hip, it would get their attention. If you ever do need to pull you gun. Remember dead people can not sue.
Oh, but the 'family' will surely take up the civil cause on the deceased' behalf.  Not sure I'd want to count on the good judgement of someone observing your weapon, either.  :-\  Just saying.....   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

212hjet

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #730 on: January 03, 2009, 06:53:26 PM »

While contemplating Serghaven's last sentence, remember that the heirs of the deceased CAN sue and that the state in which the shooting takes place CAN bring a criminal action against you for a variety of offenses if they think you violated their laws.  It is always wise to know as much as you can agout the law regarding self defense and defense of others and concealed and open carry.  The publications mentioned, the internet and the State's Attorney General's office are good sources to begin.  Personally, I think the mental aspect of carrying needs the most contemplation once you know as much as you can about your rights and make the decision to carry.
Enjoy riding, protect yourself and be safe.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #731 on: January 03, 2009, 07:02:55 PM »

Oh, but the 'family' will surely take up the civil cause on the deceased' behalf.  Not sure I'd want to count on the good judgement of someone observing your weapon, either.  :-\  Just saying.....   spyder

Amen, brother Spyder.  I would prefer that it be the very last thing they ever see .....  ;D

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #732 on: January 03, 2009, 07:35:10 PM »

I've noticed that a good many people that I ride with carry guns with them.  I'm just not sure how this comes in handy with them locked in the tourpack.  At what point do you get a gun out?  Is there really a good reason to carry one with you on a bike...versus any other time?  This is a serious question.  I've been shopping around online lately, looking at them.  I'm just not quite sure what the reason I would be getting it for.  I would think that I could end up in irreversible trouble by having one.  I'm sure I'll spark some people to respond to this one.

I'm quoting myself on this one.  I'm not getting the answers I was looking for, so I'll try to reword this.  I think I'm looking for an example of a time someone on a bike has needed to pull their gun out.  I'm trying to figure out what the reason is that so many of these people I ride with carry a gun on their bike, but not in their cars.  Am I missing something?

brhulen

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary #1009
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTCI Jade Sun Glo Pearl
« Reply #733 on: January 03, 2009, 07:35:47 PM »

Maybe so, maybe no!  If its concealed, then that's where it should remain unless needed. I tend to think that applies to discussing whether someone does or doesn't.  That being said Alaska is one of the few states where a CW permit is not required.  But, if you are going to carry, I suggest that you attend a CW course and become proficient with the weapon you intend to carry.  Many quickly attain a false sense of bravado by simply carrying a sidearm, and that's pure unadulterated B.S.  Nothing makes up for constant practice.  Have you ever watched the results of a police shoot out?  Look how many shots are fired by trained professionals that never hit their target.  In an emergency situation your adrenaline rush will be out of control and you'll be damn lucky to hit what you're shooting at.  I do intend to agree with an earlier post referrng to a double tap and to that I would add the failure to stop procedure.  If you simply shoot to wound, then chances are you really didn't need to.  If your life is indeed in danger and you must use deadly force then shoot to end it, not postpone it.  Your first duty is to remove yourself from the situation if at all possible, and that will be one of the first questions you'll be asked when the interviews commence.  Lastly, there is a huge responsibility that comes with carrying a CW not the least are the multitude of restrictions regarding where you cannot carry a weapon and that includes if you have a CW permit. I hate to harp on this guys, but I carry a weapon for a living and always abide by the four golden rules.  If you don't know them, you shouldn't be carrying a firearm of any kind!  Be responsible, be careful.
Brett in AK

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #734 on: January 03, 2009, 08:40:35 PM »

Maybe so, maybe no!  If its concealed, then that's where it should remain unless needed. I tend to think that applies to discussing whether someone does or doesn't.  That being said Alaska is one of the few states where a CW permit is not required.  But, if you are going to carry, I suggest that you attend a CW course and become proficient with the weapon you intend to carry.  Many quickly attain a false sense of bravado by simply carrying a sidearm, and that's pure unadulterated B.S.  Nothing makes up for constant practice.  Have you ever watched the results of a police shoot out?  Look how many shots are fired by trained professionals that never hit their target.  In an emergency situation your adrenaline rush will be out of control and you'll be damn lucky to hit what you're shooting at.  I do intend to agree with an earlier post referrng to a double tap and to that I would add the failure to stop procedure.  If you simply shoot to wound, then chances are you really didn't need to.  If your life is indeed in danger and you must use deadly force then shoot to end it, not postpone it.  Your first duty is to remove yourself from the situation if at all possible, and that will be one of the first questions you'll be asked when the interviews commence.  Lastly, there is a huge responsibility that comes with carrying a CW not the least are the multitude of restrictions regarding where you cannot carry a weapon and that includes if you have a CW permit. I hate to harp on this guys, but I carry a weapon for a living and always abide by the four golden rules.  If you don't know them, you shouldn't be carrying a firearm of any kind!  Be responsible, be careful.

Well said !!!
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 201

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 22 queries.