Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 201

Author Topic: Do you carry?  (Read 585308 times)

RedBone

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE Copper Canyon
Re: Hand guns carried on bikes?
« Reply #735 on: January 03, 2009, 09:11:36 PM »

Get a hammerless S&W 38. It fits nicely inside the pocket of the HD leather jacket, or in the back pocket of your jeans. Or so I've heard.

Hogbreath so right as an x leo S&W 640 I can wear with tshirt or whatever and not a hassle at all carry by habit and its better to have one and not need it then to not have one and need it to many wackos out there :nervous:

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • Metal Art at The Wells Company
Re: Do you carry?
« Reply #736 on: January 03, 2009, 09:46:48 PM »

Having spent a year in Vietnam as a helicopter gunship pilot I found that it is easy to take a life but so very hard to forget that I did. I am licensed to carry and do so but my tiny 22 mag remains in my pocket and will remain there unless I find myself or my family in dire straits and no other option is available. The right to carry comes with an awesome responsibility. Don't ever abuse your rights.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #737 on: January 03, 2009, 11:47:27 PM »

I have had a carry permit issued by the state for nine years now.  I don't always carry but if I'm traveling overnight or out of town I do.  I have never been in a situation where I felt I needed to draw my weapon, thank God.  However, I do practice quick draw, point and shoot without aiming almost weekly and have probably put 10,000 plus rounds through my handgun to stay proficient. 
Jesus is Lord

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #738 on: January 04, 2009, 06:42:02 AM »

Dave, I'll try and answer your question of, has anyone ever had to pull and shoot while on the Bike? I have never had to nor have I seen it done, that includes my OL days. Kind of gives old west feel. I do carry, all the time, and have unholstered maybe a dozen times in 25 years, once to fire, and then it was them or me. The military taught me to use the "minimum amount of force" to subdue the situation, and then Special Forces taught me to "go for the jugular" right off the bat. So a whole lot of common sense has got to come into play. When my wife took the CW classes, she felt most of the other women in the class should NEVER carry a weapon, kinda scared her. But she took that Colt Python and put 100% in center mass. She carries ALL the times while working and riding, not a women you'd want to cross, or cut in line in front of at the store.
What I have found that removes the use of deadly force is those little novelty baseball bats. I carry one on the bike, while on trips I have it so my left hand can access it. I drill the top out and fill with lead. wont kill anyone, but will get there attention. Unless you strike a blow to the sweet spot of the melon, so don't do that.
Here's a little tip, if ever in a bar fight and you need to use a pool cue as a weapon, take the fat end whack the tip end on the pool table fast to break the tip off. then it's a stick, a pool cue can be considered a deadly weapons, a stick...........is a stick.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #739 on: January 04, 2009, 12:25:22 PM »

I used to carry just such a novelty baseball bat in my car, years ago.  I still don't know who stole it from me.  I've been asking some of the guys I ride with, that I didn't already know if they carried a gun when riding.  I'm one of the very few that doesn't.  It sounds like I am well protected without having to carry one myself.  That doesn't mean that I've abandoned the concept entirely.  I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject, and may head to a range to find out some more.  If I should get one, I want to make sure I am well educated and learn how to shoot.  I've only ever shot a gun once in my life...a rifle.  Some buddies took me out for target practice (oil cans) and they got mad and took the gun away from me when I hit all 3 cans with my only 3 shots, since they never hit one.  It turns out that I had either beginner's luck or a very good eye for this sort of thing.  If I ever get to the point of getting out there and firing a weapon again, I'll let you know if I'm actually any good at it.  At this point, it's still far down on my priority list.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #740 on: January 05, 2009, 03:54:29 PM »

I used to carry just such a novelty baseball bat in my car, years ago.  I still don't know who stole it from me.  I've been asking some of the guys I ride with, that I didn't already know if they carried a gun when riding.  I'm one of the very few that doesn't.  It sounds like I am well protected without having to carry one myself.  That doesn't mean that I've abandoned the concept entirely.  I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject, and may head to a range to find out some more.  If I should get one, I want to make sure I am well educated and learn how to shoot.  I've only ever shot a gun once in my life...a rifle.  Some buddies took me out for target practice (oil cans) and they got mad and took the gun away from me when I hit all 3 cans with my only 3 shots, since they never hit one.  It turns out that I had either beginner's luck or a very good eye for this sort of thing.  If I ever get to the point of getting out there and firing a weapon again, I'll let you know if I'm actually any good at it.  At this point, it's still far down on my priority list.

A right not exercised is a right lost.
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
Re: Hand guns carried on bikes?
« Reply #741 on: January 05, 2009, 07:32:25 PM »

I'm quoting myself on this one.  I'm not getting the answers I was looking for, so I'll try to reword this.  I think I'm looking for an example of a time someone on a bike has needed to pull their gun out.  I'm trying to figure out what the reason is that so many of these people I ride with carry a gun on their bike, but not in their cars.  Am I missing something?

Could the answer be so simple, as a "group" (Bikers) are of the mindset of self reliance and preservation that it seems natural to take actions that would be consistant with those beliefs.
I personally have never had to pull a gun out and hope not to, but I cannot picture myself being a bystander to a horrific sequence of events without an intervention of some kind.
There are serious consequences for using deadly force but the biggest upside is living through the event.
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #742 on: January 05, 2009, 08:45:29 PM »

Dave, I'll try and answer your question of, has anyone ever had to pull and shoot while on the Bike? I have never had to nor have I seen it done, that includes my OL days. Kind of gives old west feel. I do carry, all the time, and have unholstered maybe a dozen times in 25 years, once to fire, and then it was them or me. The military taught me to use the "minimum amount of force" to subdue the situation, and then Special Forces taught me to "go for the jugular" right off the bat. So a whole lot of common sense has got to come into play. When my wife took the CW classes, she felt most of the other women in the class should NEVER carry a weapon, kinda scared her. But she took that Colt Python and put 100% in center mass. She carries ALL the times while working and riding, not a women you'd want to cross, or cut in line in front of at the store.
What I have found that removes the use of deadly force is those little novelty baseball bats. I carry one on the bike, while on trips I have it so my left hand can access it. I drill the top out and fill with lead. wont kill anyone, but will get there attention. Unless you strike a blow to the sweet spot of the melon, so don't do that.
Here's a little tip, if ever in a bar fight and you need to use a pool cue as a weapon, take the fat end whack the tip end on the pool table fast to break the tip off. then it's a stick, a pool cue can be considered a deadly weapons, a stick...........is a stick.

Here's a little tip, if you break (or steal) one of my pool sticks, I'll come and find ya. Now I know why I go through so many cases of them a year!

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #743 on: January 06, 2009, 06:43:02 AM »

Hard10, that little bit if info is on the house. I usually charge for such things but for a CVO Bro. it's free.
Hey, I gotta try and make something back from all those years of hard knocks.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #744 on: January 06, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »

I never go any were in the car with out a piece.  On the bike I do not always have it, as most rides are much less likely to be near unsavory areas.

I did just get another carry piece, a Kimber Ultra CDP II, 45acp
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #745 on: January 06, 2009, 11:13:15 AM »

Fine choice..

hdhog1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Autumn Haze CUSE
    • CVO2: Canyon Copper SEFB2
« Reply #746 on: January 06, 2009, 08:44:10 PM »

Yeah and if you live in New Jersey.  You better know a commercial crabber that needs bait or have a buddy with a backhoe dig you a new basement.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #747 on: January 07, 2009, 04:34:41 PM »

This surely isn't original, and I don't know who the author is, but I like the concept.
"I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop".  ;)
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #748 on: January 07, 2009, 05:53:38 PM »

To answer this thread, sad to say YES, about an extra 100lbs, but I had my first meeting for Lapband surgery on Monday so I'm workin on it

B B

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #749 on: January 07, 2009, 05:57:59 PM »

Sorry to hear about the extra 100, I feel your pain myself. Glad you are being proactive. It will be worth it. That's next on my list./But I just quit smoking. One at a time! :drink:
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 201

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 22 queries.