Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 201

Author Topic: Do you carry?  (Read 588499 times)

Sean M Cary

Re: Do you carry?
« Reply #915 on: January 30, 2009, 07:45:31 AM »

You have to know the laws of the states you travel in.  I have a concealed carry permit, good in 35 states.  You even need to know, some states require you to notify the officer you have a loaded gun, others do not.

Ill and WI do not honor any carry permits for example.
thankfully I have never been pulled over while carrying, but my instructions from an NRA instructor friend were always to roll down the window, both hands on the wheel if in my truck...and tell the officer that you have a loaded gun AND a permit. 

Results from two friends are that it ends up with you on the hood, weapon in an unloaded state and an hour or more fro the stop.  Guess that depends on the cop.

On the MC I think I would do the same - short of rolling the windows down.  Mine are stuck open, and he would have a hard time putting me on the hood.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #916 on: January 30, 2009, 07:50:19 AM »

If not asked, don't tell............Especially about weapons in the car.

Last time I was detained, by the time the leo got close, the truck was off, windows down and papers at the ready...Never was asked about the weapon(s) so I did not volunteer anything...

I got a warning......A good ol Okeechobee County Sherriff motor officer.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #917 on: January 30, 2009, 07:52:26 AM »

If not asked, don't tell............Especially about weapons in the car.

Last time I was detained, by the time the leo got close, the truck was off, windows down and papers at the ready...Never was asked about the weapon(s) so I did not volunteer anything...

I got a warning......A good ol Okeechobee County Sherriff motor officer.

guess that works unless they have some reason for wanting to get in your face, then that little non-disclosure could end you up on the deck with your hands behind your back wondering what happened

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #918 on: January 30, 2009, 08:05:16 AM »

Probably cause to search the vehicle would then be reason to disclose excercising my right. 

Every other time I have known why and what my contribution was to being awarded bracelets.

I mostly try and avoid them, especially since they aren't home grown anymore...

Sean M Cary

« Reply #919 on: January 30, 2009, 08:14:49 AM »

I mostly try and avoid them, especially since they aren't home grown anymore...

BAHAHAHAHAHA, funny from a Floridian with a Boston Accent!!!   :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao:

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #920 on: January 30, 2009, 08:18:13 AM »

correct me if I’m wrong but the supreme court decided that individuals have the right to bear arms. No question on your property, and your vehicle is such.  by obtaining a cwp permit you agree to whatever the terms are by signing the agreement. the criminal element isn’t gonna respect the gun laws. :nixweiss: How many places is it legal for the citizen to open carry?

TN

Wut the hell was that maneuver

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #921 on: January 30, 2009, 08:27:07 AM »

correct me if I’m wrong but the supreme court decided that individuals have the right to bear arms. No question on your property, and your vehicle is such.  by obtaining a cwp permit you agree to whatever the terms are by signing the agreement. the criminal element isn’t gonna respect the gun laws. :nixweiss: How many places is it legal for the citizen to open carry?

TN

I could walk in the bank with a 6 shooter strapped to my side here if I wanted to. But, it would be illegal to hide it, unless I had a permit.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #922 on: January 30, 2009, 08:30:34 AM »

thankfully I have never been pulled over while carrying, but my instructions from an NRA instructor friend were always to roll down the window, both hands on the wheel if in my truck...and tell the officer that you have a loaded gun AND a permit. 

Results from two friends are that it ends up with you on the hood, weapon in an unloaded state and an hour or more fro the stop.  Guess that depends on the cop.

On the MC I think I would do the same - short of rolling the windows down.  Mine are stuck open, and he would have a hard time putting me on the hood.
That is the best way to handle it. In Va. your CWP is tied to your drivers license so if the LEO runs DL it will come back that you also have a CWP. It's better to let them know beforehand, tell them if you are/are not carrying at the time, let them know where it is, and ask them how they would like to proceed.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #923 on: January 30, 2009, 08:35:22 AM »

BAHAHAHAHAHA, funny from a Floridian with a Boston Accent!!!   :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao:

I thought you'd get a kick out of that...And I do not have a wikit haad accent anymowah, 4 yeahs in Norcal and 20 down here has knocked it back a bit. 

Had to, nobody speaks it outside the area...It coms back during visits to the Hub..

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #924 on: January 30, 2009, 09:25:21 AM »

I could walk in the bank with a 6 shooter strapped to my side here if I wanted to. But, it would be illegal to hide it, unless I had a permit.

to me this is being proactive. bwthdik.

i have been getting some looks when i ride my bike to work with my sawed off strapped to my back.  :orange:
 there are folks that shouldn't own a firearm for obvious reasons. :nervous:

its imminent

TN

Wut the hell was that maneuver

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #925 on: January 30, 2009, 09:30:05 AM »

TN

Not so simple.  Example of the way laws vary:  In N.C. it is illegal to have a pistol 'concealed as in the glove box or under the seat, it must be visable to someone walking up to the car and in S.C. it is illegal to have a pistol visable, it must be concealed as under the seat or in the glove box.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #926 on: January 30, 2009, 09:39:59 AM »

That is what guns laws are for: to be arbitrary and capricious in nature in order to get the compliant in trouble.
Just know where you are and the rules that go with the territory... :-\

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #927 on: January 30, 2009, 06:55:55 PM »

Have you seen the new Ruger LCR 38 snubbie?  Really cool!  I took my wife to the cop shop and applied for her CCW permit just a couple hours ago.  When I showed her the new Guns & Ammo issue with the new Ruger on the cover. 
I guess her Ruger Security Six 357 is just too heavy to carry around.  (Great excuse for new gun). 
And guess what? -Crimson Trace has a new laser grip for it too!  Perfect for motorcycling!!  :orange: 
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms - who's bringin' the chips?
 :drink:
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

REGGAB

« Reply #928 on: January 30, 2009, 10:29:31 PM »

Here's the newest addition to my handgun collection, and the catalyst to purchase more ammunition.   :)

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • Metal Art at The Wells Company
« Reply #929 on: January 30, 2009, 11:20:50 PM »

Slightly off topic but I would appreciate some input about what scope to select for my newly acquired Bushmaster Predator 20" bbl AR15 223 rifle. If any of you have something similar with scope, what do you like? What to avoid?

Thanks, Plasmaman
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 201

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.