Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 201

Author Topic: Do you carry?  (Read 585200 times)

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • Metal Art at The Wells Company
Re: Do you carry? Wolf ammo sucks
« Reply #1005 on: February 13, 2009, 07:14:24 PM »

Wolf Ammo almost got me hurt. Finally got the new AR-15 together with EO-Tech 552 sight and went to sight it in. Bore sighted the rifle then fired 3 rounds. Bore sight was close. Fired 3 more. Had 2 of the 6 jam but cleared ok. Loaded 3 more and fired 2. The third did not fire. Pulled bolt back, clip, chamber were empty. I saw a glint of something shinny in the chamber so decided to pull the pin and break open the rifle. Removed bolt and saw a bullet stuck in the barrel. Had I loaded 4 instead of three I might be in the "Rider Down" group. I believe the head space was incorrect on the round and the firing pin never popped the primer. The bullet stuck in the entrance of the bore and the bolt pulled the case off of the bullet. It was the unburned powder that caught my eye. NO MORE WOLF 223 AMMO IN MY RIFLE. If you use it, be careful. I then fired some of the Korean ammo with good results. Hard to find USA 223 ammo locally.

Plasmaman

REGGAB

« Reply #1006 on: February 13, 2009, 07:19:06 PM »

Wolf Ammo almost got me hurt. Finally got the new AR-15 together with EO-Tech 552 sight and went to sight it in. Bore sighted the rifle then fired 3 rounds. Bore sight was close. Fired 3 more. Had 2 of the 6 jam but cleared ok. Loaded 3 more and fired 2. The third did not fire. Pulled bolt back, clip, chamber were empty. I saw a glint of something shinny in the chamber so decided to pull the pin and break open the rifle. Removed bolt and saw a bullet stuck in the barrel. Had I loaded 4 instead of three I might be in the "Rider Down" group. I believe the head space was incorrect on the round and the firing pin never popped the primer. The bullet stuck in the entrance of the bore and the bolt pulled the case off of the bullet. It was the unburned powder that caught my eye. NO MORE WOLF 223 AMMO IN MY RIFLE. If you use it, be careful. I then fired some of the Korean ammo with good results. Hard to find USA 223 ammo locally.

Plasmaman

And here I am lookin' for a Bulgarian SLR in 7.62X39mm.  Was gonna use Wolf........don't know of any other ammo.  Is there?

Sean M Cary

« Reply #1007 on: February 13, 2009, 07:37:13 PM »

Delton the folks I get my uppers from - void the warranty for using Wolf...

I will not use steel case ammo in my AR's.

Dillon RL550B...sounds like your next investment.

Have never heard of a round not being head-spaced correctly.

Plasmaman

Sean M Cary

« Reply #1008 on: February 13, 2009, 07:37:50 PM »

And here I am lookin' for a Bulgarian SLR in 7.62X39mm.  Was gonna use Wolf........don't know of any other ammo.  Is there?
Black Hills Reman...from Cabela's.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Do you carry?
« Reply #1009 on: February 13, 2009, 07:47:09 PM »

Wolf bad....steel coating makes a yucky mess outta everything
...NFW would I use it...maybe the ak's ill eat it..

REGGAB

« Reply #1010 on: February 13, 2009, 07:56:19 PM »

Black Hills Reman...from Cabela's.

Roger that.  Thank you, Sir!   :2vrolijk_21:

Sean M Cary

« Reply #1011 on: February 13, 2009, 08:52:58 PM »

Wolf bad....steel coating makes a yucky mess outta everything
...NFW would I use it...maybe the ak's ill eat it..

yep, most of the stuff I have is steel for the AK's...

REGGAB

« Reply #1012 on: February 13, 2009, 08:58:02 PM »

yep, most of the stuff I have is steel for the AK's...

Sean,  is the remanufactured Black Hills ammo of the steel case variety?

Sean M Cary

« Reply #1013 on: February 13, 2009, 09:01:08 PM »

Sean,  is the remanufactured Black Hills ammo of the steel case variety?

negative...  all brass

only steel I have is for the AK's, they chomp it w/o issue

building a Rom WASR-10 right now, bent the receiver myself, going to do all plastic and thinking about making it a side folder - even got an insert for my jig to bend the thicker Yugo receivers (scored two Yugo M70AB2 underfolder kits)

AK's are addicting.

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • Metal Art at The Wells Company
« Reply #1014 on: February 13, 2009, 09:03:29 PM »

Flordia, we did not accurately measure the case of the round against the others but just by eye, it appeared that the round was short which would have allowed it to move forward and the firing pin not hit it properly. Just an idea, bottom line is I was lucky and will only use the Wolf in my SKS. Apparently whatever rounds the VC had worked just fine shooting at my chopper with the SKS. Glad they did not learn how to lead and we kept getting shot in the ass end.

Plasmaman

REGGAB

« Reply #1015 on: February 13, 2009, 09:19:18 PM »

negative...  all brass

only steel I have is for the AK's, they chomp it w/o issue

building a Rom WASR-10 right now, bent the receiver myself, going to do all plastic and thinking about making it a side folder - even got an insert for my jig to bend the thicker Yugo receivers (scored two Yugo M70AB2 underfolder kits)

AK's are addicting.

Concur.  The Bulgarian SLR I'm after has a folding stock.  Made by the Arsenal of Bulgaria.  Would like one with a milled receiver, but fear that may be out of reach monetarily.  I've seen those Romanian WASR-10 weapons.  CAI variety.  How do you feel about those, Sean?  They're relatively inexpensive.......about $400 with wood stocks.  Would one serve the purpose equally as well as a SLR..........or should I hold out for an SLR?

Sean M Cary

« Reply #1016 on: February 14, 2009, 08:40:45 AM »

Concur.  The Bulgarian SLR I'm after has a folding stock.  Made by the Arsenal of Bulgaria.  Would like one with a milled receiver, but fear that may be out of reach monetarily.  I've seen those Romanian WASR-10 weapons.  CAI variety.  How do you feel about those, Sean?  They're relatively inexpensive.......about $400 with wood stocks.  Would one serve the purpose equally as well as a SLR..........or should I hold out for an SLR?
WASR-10's were the rejects from the military runs, so they are cheaper out of spec guns from the ROMAK factory...  Many of them were sportorized to meet the 94 ban req - no bayonet lug, non flash suppressor capable ect.  The one I am building has no threads for a flash suppressor, but you can buy a tap to thread them.

I am using it as a test gun for my builds, I have a few other kits, Romanian G's and a few Yugo U/F's.  Building the AR's got me started on this, it is a wicked slippery slope.  The Rom G's were de-milled, many new (I have three of them - appear to be unfired).

$400 is a great price all that said, if you can get an AK for that, would do so...

Also - if you want a GOOD AK - look for a PreBan Norinko, or a Yugo - M70AB2 being my personal favorite of all AK's.  Check Gun Broker.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 08:47:03 AM by Florida Marine »

Sean M Cary

« Reply #1017 on: February 14, 2009, 08:45:19 AM »

Flordia, we did not accurately measure the case of the round against the others but just by eye, it appeared that the round was short which would have allowed it to move forward and the firing pin not hit it properly. Just an idea, bottom line is I was lucky and will only use the Wolf in my SKS. Apparently whatever rounds the VC had worked just fine shooting at my chopper with the SKS. Glad they did not learn how to lead and we kept getting shot in the ass end.

Plasmaman

OAL - overall length of a round is a factor in pistols, and a super long round or a super short round can cause issues...

Headspace is set with gauges and is relative to the size of the chamber and the bolt closing against it - as in you take a NOGO gauge and it should not close, or allow the bolt to go all the way home or your chamber size is too big and can have blowback - it ensures you have proper lock up of the bolt into the chamber.

I am betting it was a light load - crappy QA at the factory and was short loaded with powder. 

Bottom line, glad you didn't get hurt!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #1018 on: February 14, 2009, 05:20:22 PM »

Cars - trucks - boats - guns

No replacement for displacement

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 05:22:17 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #1019 on: February 14, 2009, 05:22:40 PM »

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 201

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 22 queries.