Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: How common is the dreaded rear head gasket leak?  (Read 26535 times)

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
Re: How common is the dreaded rear head gasket leak?
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2008, 03:30:36 PM »

My bike has been "fixed" three times and it started leaking again less than 200 miles after the last "fix".  :( Not really a surprise to me or to most of you guys either I'm sure.

The word is gradually getting out to prospective CVO owners though. One of my friends already has a couple of earlier CVO bikes and WAS interested in buying a new one. After he thought about it though he decided to wait until the MoCo has a real fix in place on these motors before he makes a purchase.

I'm thinking the MoCo must be working on this problem, but it may just be taking some time to figure out the solution. Then they would need some time to adequately test it out to make sure they have it fixed... I think?  ??? It would be nice to hear something reassuring from them though!

I hope that's it anyway. In the mean time I may follow Howie's lead and surf over to the Axtell site to look around a little...  :bananarock:
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2008, 09:05:26 PM »

My bike has been "fixed" three times and it started leaking again less than 200 miles after the last "fix".  :( Not really a surprise to me or to most of you guys either I'm sure.

The word is gradually getting out to prospective CVO owners though. One of my friends already has a couple of earlier CVO bikes and WAS interested in buying a new one. After he thought about it though he decided to wait until the MoCo has a real fix in place on these motors before he makes a purchase.

I'm thinking the MoCo must be working on this problem, but it may just be taking some time to figure out the solution. Then they would need some time to adequately test it out to make sure they have it fixed... I think?  ??? It would be nice to hear something reassuring from them though!

I hope that's it anyway. In the mean time I may follow Howie's lead and surf over to the Axtell site to look around a little...  :bananarock:

They could have fixed this a long time ago if they wanted to spend some money on it instead of looking for an ultra cheap solution first. They're smart enough to fix it, they're just not being allowed to spend what it would take to do it quickly.

:indian_chief:

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2008, 11:09:02 PM »

Problem ? Fix? My dealer still thinks mine is the first failure ever on these engines. Other than possible owners who don't ride them properly.  :o  Of course he's only sold a single 110, mine. :(

novazeus

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2008, 12:24:52 AM »

Dropped my bike off for the "leak" yesterday. Keeping my fingers crossed it is returned to me undamaged and not leaking worse and hoping that the "fix" will work. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2008, 03:07:49 PM »

Guess I'll see if I can find a couple of photos that I took, maybe it shows what i am remembering. You guys know a lot more than I do about these motors, and I haven't seem the thing since Sept so it  might have been gunk from the leak before it became significant enough to spray down the side. Not to mention how pissed I was to discover two leaks in different areas at one  time. :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 03:09:57 PM by Serkcus »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2008, 12:07:51 AM »

1700 miles, 3 days before my scheduled 1000 mile service and my buddy points the slight oil leak with a micro air bubble on the rear head.
Annapolis HD pulled it appart, replaced the gaskets and same problem.
Any suggestions family?
Thanks Trace

That used to be fairly common in the Evo motors.  I've not had the problem and don't think it's to common in the 103" motors but I think it is among the 110" motors.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

novazeus

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2008, 01:33:14 PM »

Just talked to the service mgr. and he said both cylinder sleeves had moved and he's ordered new cylinders and the new gasket along with the other stuff needed to do the repair. He says they don't change the oil after the repair which I think is being cheap. I'll have to change it after another break-in period.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 08:34:39 PM by novazeus »

novazeus

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2008, 08:37:13 PM »

Well it has been 10 days since I dropped my bike off and they haven't even unpacked the repair parts yet. They think it will be Thursday before my bike is done. I guess you really do need to own two Harleys; one to ride while the other is in the shop.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2008, 09:40:09 AM »

Just talked to the service mgr. and he said both cylinder sleeves had moved and he's ordered new cylinders and the new gasket along with the other stuff needed to do the repair. He says they don't change the oil after the repair which I think is being cheap. I'll have to change it after another break-in period.

On the bright side, you can then run the oil of your choice which will be better. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2008, 11:06:37 PM »

My 07 decided to start the leak at 8700 miles.  Javelina has a very good tech whom knew of the problem and ordered new (meaning different head gaskets), high tensile studs (torqued properly) new rings etc.  He has repaired "every one of the 110's, at least 5 or 6 and indicated every one had loose studs.  All that have been retrofitted with the new head gasket and high tensile studs seem to be doing fine.  One of the repaired bikes has over 12000 miles since the fix with no problems.

Mine has only 550 miles.  I am concerned about the problem returning on my two extended trips this summer.  I put the TMAT on the bike and this has fixed the overly hot engine (with less gas mileage but not unreasonable - 40.5 over 4800 miles).  However, one of my trips is to summit county and the bike performed poorly (severe pinging and no power) in last summers heat and altitude.  That is when I installed the TMAT.  Pinging went away but I have not ridden at above 5000 feet.
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

vagabond6542

« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2008, 12:25:18 AM »

Just curious.   Is everyone using synthetic oil or is this happening with both syn and regular oil?  (not that this has anything to do with the leaking problem)

It doesn't matter if it's syn (Amsoil) or Syn3 you will get the dreaded leak.
But the Amsoil might save you hide when the crank runout gets to high. I know.
I've gotten a new engine before she blew.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2008, 11:41:35 PM »

HD paid for the new synthetic oil in my engine when it was rebuilt under warranty.  Any way, has any of the bad 110's actually blown out?  What does happen?

2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.