Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Are You part of the 67% of Americans Who???  (Read 9077 times)

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
Are You part of the 67% of Americans Who???
« on: October 13, 2007, 01:21:20 AM »

"The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true given the source, right?

The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the president. In essence 2/3s of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change.

So being the knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, ''What we are so unhappy about?''

Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter? Could it be that 95.4 percent of these unhappy folks have a job? Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?

Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state? Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter? I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough. Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help all and even send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home. You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames thus saving you, your family and your belongings. Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes , an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss. This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90 percent of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world? Maybe that is what has 67 percent of you folks unhappy.

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. , yet has a great disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have , and what we hate about the country instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.

I know, I know. What about the president who took us into war and has no plan to ge t us out? The president who has a measly 31 percent approval rating? Is this the same president who guided the nation in the dark days after 9/11? The president that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession? Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats safe from terrorist attacks?

The commander in chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me? Did you hear how bad the President is on the news or talk show? Did this news affect you so much, make you so unhappy you couldn't take a look around for yourself and see all the good things and be glad?

Think about it......are you upset at the President because he actually caused you personal pain OR is it because the "Media" told you he was failing to kiss your sorry ungrateful behind every day.

Make no mistake about it. The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go.

They are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an ''other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a ''dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the brig.

So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans? Say what you want but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds it leads and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner? The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells , and when criticized, try to defend their actions by "justifying" them in one way or another. Just ask why they tried to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book about how he didn't kill his wife, but if he did he would have done it this way......Insane!

Stop buying the negativism you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as a country. There is exponentially more good than bad.

We are among the most blessed peoples on Earth and should thank God several times a day, or at least be thankful and appreciative."

"With hurricanes, tornadoes, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, "Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

Jay Leno

I received this in a email from my pastor and was surprised when I saw it was Jay leno who said it...are you? God Bless America!

JR :bananarock:

EGUC7

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
Re: Are You part of the 67% of Americans Who???
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 07:26:12 AM »

Snopes says it ain't Leno.  But, who cares, I agree with most of it!

Ride Safe.
Walt

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 09:11:06 AM »

JR,

Good post!  It's very easy to slip into a downward spiral of negativism when you are fed a constant diet of bad news, and we do need someone to remind us of the good things once in a while.

Now, having made my one positive statement of the day ::), let me also throw out another view.  I'm a firm believer in balance, and statements like the one in your post could be considered to be just as unbalanced as the ones in the various media.  The fact that the average American pretty much has it "made in the shade" compared to people in the rest of the world doesn't mean we should all just count our blessings and not expect better.  As a nation, we didn't get to our current enviable position by being satisfied with the status quo.  I personally believe that progress stops when people become satisfied.  And there is no guarantee that Americans will continue to enjoy the many advantages of being the world's largest economy and only superpower.  If history teaches us anything, it shows that no one group of people has ever remained "king of the hill" forever.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 10:41:28 PM »

Great post, GRC.  While it is nice to think about all the good things that we have, progress is not made by looking back at how good it is now.  We move forward only when we want what is on the other side of the fence -- greener grass.

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 08:34:49 AM »

While I'm not a fan of W , I believe he is doing the best he can and I admire his tenacity .
The direction the country is going is not in his hands it is in ours, if you don't like it ..vote.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 08:44:49 AM »

Every day before an (Election year) This year has been going on since December 04. they start banging the drum slowly about how bad the economy is and how much better (they) are going to make it! If you happen to listen to all the BS they continue to BUY Votes buy telling everyone who will listen how much they are going to give them and just how much they don't have and will doing everything to get for them.

The only way they can help everyone is to do what they do best and that is redistribute YOUR WEALTH.

They except you NOT to Vote Surprise them and VOTE - that's why they have so much trouble counting them because they don't expect anyone but the folks who answer the polls (or make them up) to vote.

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 02:58:50 PM »

Americans have two enemies. The first sees what we have and wants to take it. The second sees what we have and thinks no one should have it, so they want to destroy us. Either way its up to us to defend ourselves! It has been said that we will not be destroyed from the outside, but destroyed from the inside. This seems to be happening NOW! The big question is " What are we going to do about it?" And yes, voting is part of the answer.
Lead, follow or get out of the way. But, do something!

SE08RK

• Banned
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 04:32:27 PM »

"The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true given the source, right?

The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the president. In essence 2/3s of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change.

Ok, now you probably should read Time Magazine to get the opposite slant...

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 05:16:18 PM »

Ok, now you probably should read Time Magazine to get the opposite slant...

You do mean the opposite left slant one leans further left than the other --------- :2vrolijk_21:

charlie

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 05:24:07 PM »

I for one don't believe any of the polls they all have there own agenda, and I sure don't believe we need another Clinton in office

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 05:34:14 PM »

I'll vote for H.R.C. when I see her in full leathers behind Biil doing 120 MPH down I-85 on a H-D with no helmit with a smile on her face! :2vrolijk_21:
Lead, follow or get out of the way. But, do something!

SE08RK

• Banned
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 01:10:34 PM »

I for one don't believe any of the polls they all have there own agenda, and I sure don't believe we need another Clinton in office

Yea, that would mean that for 32 years, there will have been either a Clinton or a Bush in the White house! And for certain, we don't need her!!!

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 07:32:12 PM »

Straight answer JR........... No  :2vrolijk_21:  ;D  Of that 67% of Americans, probably 30-40% don't speak English and  or are unemployed and or homeless, and or on welfare, and or, dont believe in the Lord, or all of the above. One thing for sure life is short, so enjoy it while  your here. Sorry if I insulted anyone, I just get tired of "WHINERS" all the time.  ;D
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 08:11:17 PM »

From Fox news, arguably the most conservatively biased news on public television:

Only 69 percent of Republicans voiced approval of Bush, about where he has been in recent months but still an anemic showing for a president within his own party. That included only 29 percent from the GOP who said they strongly approve of the job he is doing.
For the full article:  http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,299497,00.html

I don't think they polled a lot of people on welfare, immigrants, or atheists...of course, I could be mistaken, but doubt that EVERY poll puts his numbers at or near this level is wrong.  Margin of error in most well done polls is 3%, so even if you are a supporter, the numbers are still really, really bad.   If I'm not mistaken, only Truman was lower in his approval rating, historically.

Here's a comprehensive sample of ALL polls, FYI...

http://www.pollingreport.com/BushJob.htm
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 08:13:47 PM by TCnBham »
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 10:54:28 AM »

I don't care, I'm still not voting for Hillary Clintoris!  :P
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.