Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Nevr-dull, never again  (Read 14025 times)

novazeus

• Full CVO Member
Nevr-dull, never again
« on: October 16, 2007, 02:55:33 AM »

I used this product on my console to remove two small water spots(?) and it scratched the finish. The product says it has no abrasives in it but it left fine scratches in the chrome.
Now I have to buy a new console. I'll never use anything that even resembles an abrasive product on my chrome ever again. If you were to look at my console you would think I was crazy because you can't see the scratches unless the light hits it right and then you can see the fine scratches in the chrome.

Unless somebody sprinkled sand in this product sitting on the shelf in Walmart, I would not use this product on chrome.
This is the Nevr-dull by Eagle.

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
Re: Nevr-dull, never again
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 06:30:09 AM »

I thought never dul was for polishing aluminum uncoated parts to remove oxidation and bring back shine?
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 07:55:26 AM »

I use Wenol blue for chrome or similar grit-less petro based polish with a micro fiber towel. 
I will usually clean chrome with wd40 1st, wiping until the blue goes away, then polish.  It seems to last longer after the wd-40 prep.

Miker

novazeus

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 04:50:57 PM »

They claim it is safe for chrome. Some places on the web it says the product has no abrasives in it and in another place it will say it has mild abrasives.

Needless to say i would not have use it if I had known it had abrasives in it. I'm posting this to let anybody know that does a search that this product scratches chrome.

REGGAB

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 01:23:49 PM »

They claim it is safe for chrome. Some places on the web it says the product has no abrasives in it and in another place it will say it has mild abrasives.

Needless to say i would not have use it if I had known it had abrasives in it. I'm posting this to let anybody know that does a search that this product scratches chrome.

I too, found out the hard way that Nevr-dull scratches chrome.  Best to use the stuff on polished metal only, and keep it way from chrome.  I use it on the polished surfaces of the Sporty, and that scoot looks great when I'm done......except for the chrome piece I used it on.  Live and learn.

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 02:59:06 PM »

Thanks for your report.  I have used it a lot on the polished metal parts and on chrome.   Is the chrome used on aluminum parts different from chrome used on steel parts?  (I keep telling myself as I'm typing this that only the unasked questions are the stupid ones  :P )

I know the "chrome" used on plastic is different -- more fragile.  We picked up a sporty for my wife this summer, and it had rust on the mufflers and heat shields.  It cleaned right up with SOS pads and water.  No scratches whatsoever, and that is with steel wool!

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 11:44:26 PM »

Wondering if the difference is "old chrome" versus "new chrome". eg: "old chrome " plated in US - " new chrome" plated in China - ?

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 08:26:36 AM »

Thanks for the tip.. I'll stick with windex
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 08:35:31 AM »

didn't I read somewhere that Windex has ammonia in it and that was not good for certain bike surfaces (ie: windscreen, ???) ?  :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

bpalmersheim

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 10:38:46 AM »

You'll find it cheaper to have your console re-chromed and with better chrome than the factory console.  I plan on sending a ton of chrome this winter off to be re-done since MoCo chrome is crap!
2007 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames

United States Army Retired (4x Combat Veteran)
CVMA, H.O.G. Member, Patriot Guard Rider

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 10:42:36 AM »

You'll find it cheaper to have your console re-chromed and with better chrome than the factory console.  I plan on sending a ton of chrome this winter off to be re-done since MoCo chrome is crap!

HeHe! Where have I heard that before? :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

REGGAB

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 10:18:42 PM »

didn't I read somewhere that Windex has ammonia in it and that was not good for certain bike surfaces (ie: windscreen, ???) ?  :-\ spyder

I've never read it until now, however wise, old, bikers have taught me to stay away from Windex with ammonia.  They do make an ammonia free Windex, which receives a verticle head nod from the wise, old, bikers.  Personally, I like the ammonia free Windex wipes.  They pack easy in a saddlebag, and make post ride bug removal very easy.

novazeus

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 10:32:43 PM »

Who do you recommend for chrome plating?

REGGAB

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 10:45:38 PM »

I don't know of anyone.  Perhaps a Google search of "Chrome Platers" would help you find someone close to you.

Break-In

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary Edition 513/900
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO3: 1997 FXSTC
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 10:30:12 AM »

never dull is used to shine brass, used it all the time in the military to shine brass work.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 12:35:14 PM »

never dull is used to shine brass, used it all the time in the military to shine brass work.
BrassO in the old days.  :D  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 12:38:01 PM »

BrassO in the old days.  :D  har!  spyder
Oh yea, I remember that. :2vrolijk_21: Cotton balls and Brasso sitting around on foot locker shining and talking chit.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

REGGAB

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 02:01:45 PM »

Oh yea, I remember that. :2vrolijk_21: Cotton balls and Brasso sitting around on foot locker shining and talking chit.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Yup.........We used Brasso and Dura-Glit.  Had to get the lacquer off the brass to make it shine good tho'.  That took some serious elbow grease until we figured out it was much easier to boil it off in a pot of boiling water.  When I was in Warrant Officer Candidate School in 1996, we had to use this stuff call Maas, which is a creme like Simichrome.  We used it on anything that would shine.........the Black Hats would even make us shine the inside of the Kiwi lid until it was like a mirror.  We had several methods to do that:  bypass the lid switch on a washer, wrap a rag around the top of the agitator, slather it with Maas, put it on spin, hold the Kiwi lid on the agitator and let her rip.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2007, 02:03:17 PM »

I would recommend Browns

http://www.brownsplating.com/index.php

Here's another link with a list of chrome platers all over the country, haven't tried any of these altho.

http://www.chromeclassics.com/services_plating_polishing.html

Roy......
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 02:06:28 PM by reo »

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 09:57:13 AM »

you might be able to buff the scratches out of the chrome, it's worth a try.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2007, 08:30:15 PM »

Sorry to hear about your chrome problems.

I use to use the same product until I noticed what it was doing... Very fine, but nontheless still scratches.

Now I use a creme product from AUTOSOL called "Metal Polish".  It claims to "clean, polish & protect" and I have to tell you that I am thrilled with the product!

Another tip is about the inner fairing on the EG's.  I have never used anything but warm water on the inner fairing (naturally I'm talking about the unpainted inner fairings).  The inner fairing on my wife's '07 EGUC looks great!  Her '97 EGUC looked as good as new when we traded it in on the '07.  Some of my buddies have used different products, one that comes to mind is Amoral, and they have virtually destroyed their inner fairings finish when they originally planned to make it shine... NOT a good idea at all to use anything but warm water on unpainted inner fairings.

Good luck!
Mike 
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

oldharleyguy

• Full CVO Member
  • Yeah, orange black

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra
    • open for business
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2007, 10:08:12 PM »

used this stuff to get crud off of my vance and hines pipes on my deuce.  no problems with scratches.   My two cents
When I can't lift my leg over the saddle,this thing will be a trike.
1967 FLH * 2003 EVO Custom * 2004 FXST custom * 2007 VRSCX * 2009/1977 Springer custom * 2009 XR1200

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 10:08:06 PM »

Sorry to hear about your chrome problems.

I use to use the same product until I noticed what it was doing... Very fine, but nontheless still scratches.

Now I use a creme product from AUTOSOL called "Metal Polish".  It claims to "clean, polish & protect" and I have to tell you that I am thrilled with the product!

Another tip is about the inner fairing on the EG's.  I have never used anything but warm water on the inner fairing (naturally I'm talking about the unpainted inner fairings).  The inner fairing on my wife's '07 EGUC looks great!  Her '97 EGUC looked as good as new when we traded it in on the '07.  Some of my buddies have used different products, one that comes to mind is Amoral, and they have virtually destroyed their inner fairings finish when they originally planned to make it shine... NOT a good idea at all to use anything but warm water on unpainted inner fairings.

Good luck!
Mike 
Saw a good friend walking out of the Harley store a couple weeks ago and in his hand was this neverdull product.  I rememered this thread and I know my eyes opened real wide, and I asked if he knew that it can scratch.  I know we have some in the cleaning supply cabinet.  I need to move it on.  Thanks for the heads up.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 02:57:53 PM »

Wenol blue for polish after a wd40 cleanin.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 21 queries.