Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which FXR is better, FXR2/3 or FXR4  (Read 4649 times)

Bullwinkle

Which FXR is better, FXR2/3 or FXR4
« on: October 16, 2007, 10:12:40 PM »

I have a 1993 FXR-SP which is a great bike but not so much for traveling.  I'd like to get a newer FXR with newer electricals and use it for distance rides when I can go.

I have a bunch of spare parts for the pre-2000 bikes, stuff like extra calipers, brake rotors, wheel bearings, and some spare speedos and tachs.  So, with those spares in mind I am leaning toward the FXR2/3.

However, I am wondering if the sealed wheel bearings and newer electrical gauges (not cable drive speedometer) on the FXR4 might be more reliable.  Not much doubt that in the future they will be be easier to buy parts for.

My FXR is mechanically solid, but the old wiring is not so good.  HDs genius engineers used the headlight housing as a junction box and on more than one occasion it has let me down.  I had to spend a bunch getting it rewired in New Orleans when the plastic wiring housings gave upon me.  Not fun, it took away some of the food budget.  I've had some other electrical problems, too.  Not so bad near home but tough to deal with when I am traveling.

Are the axle sizes the same from 1999 to 2000 on the FXRs?

Many thanks,

Rocky (Bullwinkle is the name a good friend gave my scoot)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Which FXR is better, FXR2/3 or FXR4
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 10:24:30 PM »

Bullwinkle (or is that Rocky?), welcome to the site!  Athough I am not one of them, we have a few resident FXR experts here that will be more than happy to answer your questions.  Sit back, relax, and enjoy the site while you await their replies.  We're glad you're here!

Bullwinkle

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 09:37:48 AM »

Thanks for the welcome.  Someone will kick in about the question when they get a chance.

I hate to ask, "Which is best," since it is so subjective.  I am nervous about buying the first year anything, and that is why I was asking about the quality of the newer sealed wheel bearings.

Only thing I failed to ask in the original post is whether the 1999 or the 2000 FXRs had any wires in the headlight housing other than the ones to light the bulb.  I also failed to mention a warning about hotter than stock headlight bulbs.  I had a 55/100 watt bulb and even though I only have the high beam on at night, I think the extra heat of the bulb melted the wiring connectors and caused me the problem.

Someone will have something to say about the 1999/2000 bikes, either good or bad.

Forum login is Bullwinkle, but my nickname is Rocky.  I've been called worse than either, and sometimes by my wife, so I answer to most anything thrown my way.

Bullwinkle

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 09:49:27 AM »

if your current ride is mechanically sound, you could probally get a newer style main harnes and rewire the bike. cant be nearly as many connections as a current bike
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

RedFXR2

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 09:52:44 AM »

I don't have any other wiring in the headlight housing of my 1999 FXR2.  Just the headlight connection.

As far as bearings go, I have the older style bearings--HD went to the sealed bearings in 2000.  Two things about that come to mind.  First is that I've never had any trouble with my old style.  True, they say to repack them every 10K miles, but I know folks that have gone twice that far with no trouble.  Second, I think I saw in Drag Specialties a retrofit sealed bearing kit that fit in old style hubs with 3/4" axles.  Try this:

http://www.ftmbiz.com/harley_double_wheel_bearings.html

My bike uses a 3/4" axle.  Not sure about the 2000's.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 09:59:57 AM by RedFXR2 »

Bullwinkle

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 11:03:25 PM »

>> if your current ride is mechanically sound, you could probally get a newer style main harnes and rewire the bike. cant be nearly as many connections as a current bike

The bike is solid mechanically.  An aftermarket wiring harness is probably my best hope, if I knew which ones were good.  HD changed -everything- in 1996, the handlebar switches, electronic speedometer and tach, speedometer drive, the whole works.  I don't want to go back with what I have, but I don't have an electrical engineering degree to change to the new style.  <grin>

>>  First is that I've never had any trouble with my old style.

Me, either, other than them slinging grease on my rotors and wheels every now and then.

>> ...they say to repack them every 10K miles, but I know folks that have gone twice that far with no trouble.

I do with every tire change.  No trouble so far.  And the job of cleaning and packing them gives a good opportunity to inspect them.

If the newer bearings are pretty much trouble free, than I wouldn't mind going with the FXR4.  If not, the FXR3 is a great choice, too.

There was a nice FXR4 on eBay which sold for about $9600, and another with a high bid of $9500, so they are getting affordable.  Not much difference between an FXR3 and an FXR4 in price.  I just have to make a choice based on my best guess as to reliability.

Bullwinkle

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 11:12:33 PM »

>> if your current ride is mechanically sound, you could probally get a newer style main harnes and rewire the bike. cant be nearly as many connections as a current bike

The bike is solid mechanically.  An aftermarket wiring harness is probably my best hope, if I knew which ones were good.  HD changed -everything- in 1996, the handlebar switches, electronic speedometer and tach, speedometer drive, the whole works.  I don't want to go back with what I have, but I don't have an electrical engineering degree to change to the new style.  <grin>

>>  First is that I've never had any trouble with my old style.

Me, either, other than them slinging grease on my rotors and wheels every now and then.

>> ...they say to repack them every 10K miles, but I know folks that have gone twice that far with no trouble.

I do with every tire change.  No trouble so far.  And the job of cleaning and packing them gives a good opportunity to inspect them.

If the newer bearings are pretty much trouble free, than I wouldn't mind going with the FXR4.  If not, the FXR3 is a great choice, too.

There was a nice FXR4 on eBay which sold for about $9600, and another with a high bid of $9500, so they are getting affordable.  Not much difference between an FXR3 and an FXR4 in price.  I just have to make a choice based on my best guess as to reliability.

Bullwinkle

Wow!  I saw a yellow 4 at a dealer not far from me a couple of weeks ago for $12,500.  I don't know how many miles were on the bike, but it had to be low because the bike was MINT!  I didn't think the price was too bad for one that was as pristine as this one was, but apparently, they can be had for under 10 g's now?

Bullwinkle

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 12:10:57 AM »

I got my bikes mixed up, the $9500 FXR4 with 4100 miles sold, the $9601 FXR4 with 852 miles did not sell, the high bid did not exceed the reserve.

It would be hard to do much better than this one for the price, if it is in as good shape as the ad says:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-HARLEY-FXR-4-MINT-CONDITION-ALL-ORIGINAL_W0QQitemZ200160645032QQihZ010QQcategoryZ49993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sold for $9500 with 4100 miles and has been serviced regularly.

This next one did not sell for $9601, the reserve was not met.  Still, if the high bid is $9601, that says a lot about the current pricing expectations of the buyers.  I guess if he wants to sell it bad enough, he'll lower the reserve until it goes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Time-capsule-852-original-miles-one-of-800-produced_W0QQitemZ130161368508QQihZ003QQcategoryZ49993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.